overall

RATINGS: 194   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.26/5   IBU: 23   EST. CALORIES: 171   ABV: 5.7%
An infusion of old-world beer and contemporary soul. Smooth, dark and roasted with highlights of chocolate, coffee and vanilla. Pair with beef, Indian or Asian cuisine and chocolate or vanilla desserts.

Fratto (2845) - Arlington, Texas, USA - OCT 29, 2010
Bottle from Cavie. Dark pour with an almost white head. Aroma is espresso, vanilla, chocolate, and earthy. Taste is dry cocoa, earthy hops, a little coffee, and definite vanilla. Finish is vanilla.

nuplastikk (6289) - Madison, Wisconsin, USA - OCT 25, 2010
12oz bottle. Opaque brown-black, with a solid off-white head. Vanilla, coffee, and some roastiness in the aroma. Medium bodied, with some vanilla coffee bitterness that fades into a sweet, malty aftertaste. OK, well executed I suppose, sort of a Creme Brulee light. Vanilla and coffee come a little too dessert-like for me. I’m not a big coffee fan though. Decent.

jtclockwork (16603) - , New Jersey, USA - SEP 25, 2010
Bottle thanks to drowland. Pours black with off white head. Nose of vanilla bean, spice, brownie and coffee. Very good nose. Taste of dry vanilla bean and spicy hops. Missing something. Not sure what on the palate.

fata2683 (2176) - Tucson, Arizona, USA - SEP 6, 2010
bottle pours dark brown with a medium light tan head with spotty lacing. Aroma is thin vanilla and strong cocoa. Flavor is rich coffee and chocolate malt, brownies, vanilla bean, red bean, and toffee. Very rich porter.

bigred22 (85) - Omaha, Nebraska, USA - AUG 23, 2010
Aroma: It smelled like a Mocha
Appearance: This was very flat(No carbonation at all, I may have gotten a bad one). It had no head at all! It poured a reddish black color.
Taste: It wasn’t to bad, I thought it tasted rather good. I don’t know if I liked the vanilla mix all that much though.
Palate: It had a decent palate the flavor stuck around
Overall: Definitely not my favorite brew, but it was pretty good

drowland (8766) - Georgia, USA - AUG 16, 2010
8/16/10. 12oz bottle thanks to my buddy Chris - and finally a Nebraska tick! Black pour with red on the edges when held to the light, with a 2-finger tan head that keeps a few millimeters pretty well. The aroma is sour coffee grinds with chocolate and a hint of sweet vanilla. The flavor is again sour coffee and sweet chocolates with a hint of sweet vanilla. The flavor and feel of this remind me of Guinness Draught.

BigBang (299) - Indiana, USA - AUG 16, 2010
From bottle. Rather unremarkabe overall, but not bad. Thin porter with minima head. Slight vanilla flavor but not a lot else. Virtually no aroma - koind of odd. Yet, it is very drinkable and unoffensive.

CanIHave4Beers (4187) - Pouring Bus, Iowa, USA - MAY 8, 2010
I can’t put my finger on it but the label for this beer couldn’t be further from what I like in a beer label. Truly like something from the early 90’s in the worst way possible. But this isn’t ratelables.com now is it? What comes out of this silly looking bottle looks impressive enough It’s got a very deep almost black color with a big tight head and some very good lace. The aroma is roasty and lightly smoky with some almost burnt toast kind of character. One thing I can certainly say that I like about the flavor is that the vanilla bean is very under control, this is in no way like the sickly vanilla character of say Breckenridge or others I’ve tried. The vanilla is there, you would be crazy not to notice it. But by no means does it dominate the flavor of this beer. Beyond that there is almost a cream soda kind of flavor here paired oddly with a very roasty burnt toast character that doesn’t particularly mesh all that well. The palate is a bit thin. Overall I liked it more than I expected to, and I liked it a lot more than I dis-liked it.

bblack99 (527) - Kansas City, Missouri, USA - APR 25, 2010
Sampled at 2010 Parkville Brewfest. Deep, dark brown with a tan head. Aroma of roasted barley and a little fresh earth. Flavor was surprisingly smoky compared to the vanilla sweetness I was expecting, but still pretty tasty. Subtle creamy texture and a dry finish.

rowbigred (22) - Lincoln, Nebraska, USA - APR 24, 2010
Nice aromas of vanilla, chocolate, and coffee. Pours dark and creamy, has a surprisingly light body, but big vanilla bean, coffee bean, and chocolate flavors. Leaves an aftertaste of bread and vanilla. Probably the best offering from Empyrean.