overall

RATINGS: 216   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.68/5   IBU: 30   EST. CALORIES: 162   ABV: 5.4%
You can only drink so many beers in a lifetime, so you better make each one count. Thats where we can help. Because at Epic were obsessed with creating big hop-fuelled beers. This takes a shed-load of skill. It also takes a shed-load of hops. In fact there are 15 crammed into this bottle. Many brewers would call that insane. We call it flavour.
HOPS: US Cascade
MALT: English pale ale, Crystal

thirstystirrer (15) - , NEW ZEALAND - DEC 15, 2008
wow this is amazing- big nose- bigger flavour. cant wait to have it again- shame i only got 1 bottle

creative_free (37) - Wellington, NEW ZEALAND - JAN 4, 2010
UPDATED: DEC 16, 2011 One of my favorite go to pale ales. I love the complexity of this beer, despite the fact theres only one variety of hop in this beer, US Cascade, the complexity and layers of hop flavour are even more remarkable. The nutty, bready British malt gives a lovely twist to the US hops.

beerequalizer (22) - NEW ZEALAND - APR 1, 2010
Yep, much the way I rated LCPA, this one doesnt need much in the way of equalizing. Fantastic beer, loads of hop presence. Great drop

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
VengefulOdin (193) - , Missouri, USA - SEP 3, 2010
Ive seen this beer on the shelf a few times but Ive avoided it considering that its being imported from New Zealand and I live in Kansas. Still, I saw some today and figured Id give them a shot. 17 ounce bomber. Pours a light amber to golden blonde with an impeccably clear appearance. Huge frothy two inch head. Impressive aroma; I have the beer sitting next to me and I am getting a clear whiff of hops - the glass is roughly 2 feet away from me. As the head dissipates the lacing is very clingy. Aroma is of citrus and pine hops with some light skunkiness in the background. Slick mouthfeel with some nice mild bitterness. Light to mild carbonation. Flavor is hops, up front. Floral hops abound up front, and theres a nice spicy pepper note in the middle of the beer, with lingering grapefruit in the finish. The malt profile is there, as you get breadiness somewhere in the middle before going back to hops. Where this beer breaks the rules is in the finish. I get this amazing caramel sweetness aftertaste, completely the opposite of what I expect when drinking a pale ale. Outside of that, the malt is subdued, which I like. Its a nicely understated counterpoint to all of the hops - and make no mistake, hops is what this beer is all about. More specifically, Cascade. Full Disclosure: I actually listened to an interview with Epics brewer, and he stated the beer was only made with one hop - Cascade, which is just crazy. Theres so much going on with the hop profile that youd swear theres more than just that hop in it. But no, its just Cascade. The best thing about this beer is how clean it is. Its super clear, very clean on the palate, and amazingly crisp when drinking. One of the best Pale Ales I have had in a very long time. Thats not doing it enough justice. One of the best beers, period, Ive had in a very long time. Very impressive, especially for New Zealand.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 19/20
yeastlove (9) - Melbourne, AUSTRALIA - FEB 2, 2009 does not count
I love hops so was pretty excited to try this at Beervana 08. Not dissapointed, big hop aroma and big hop flavour balanced by toffeeish malts. felt a lil stronger than 5.4% surprised when I saw it was....much better than lt creatures pale I usually drink at home in Aust, well not better I guess.. just hoppier !!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
GlennHendry (356) - OSHAWA, Ontario, CANADA - MAR 31, 2015
Tropical fruits and floral notes, some spiciness and hints of grapefruit. Theres another flavour I cant pin down - apricot, maybe? This is so very different from any beer Ive ever tried. Real nice balance, with the malt backbone just there to compliment all those hops. World class pale ale.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
mgbridges (15) - Auckland, NEW ZEALAND - APR 24, 2007
HOPS!!! The label on this beer promises them, and it delivers them by the bucketload. Oodles of bitterness but backed up by a fruity undercurrent. Very refreshing and cleansing. Would be interesting to try this with rich foods.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
kempicus (343) - Bakewell, Derbyshire, ENGLAND - SEP 14, 2007
UPDATED: OCT 25, 2013 Awesome beer, kick ads aroma smokin flavours an absolute beaut of a pale ale, so good I can still taste it

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
wlajwl (6150) - Quad Cities, Iowa, USA - DEC 12, 2011
Dry pine and citrus in the aroma. The flavor is very hoppy and similar to a bitter in a way, with a malty undertone. A very nice, unique, APA.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
kiwi_daz (54) - NEW ZEALAND - MAY 5, 2012
this is the beer that started it all for me, changed my life. It was my introduction to proper beer. Awesome malt backbone with huge hop flavour. what more could a man want?