overall
Serve in Thistle

RATINGS: 241   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.25/5   SEASONAL: Autumn   IBU: 35   EST. CALORIES: 303   ABV: 10.1%
Wee Heavy Ale: Powerful caramel malt flavor, finishing climatically with a smooth warming sensation. Deep Red. 19.9°

Erie Brewing Company presents the beer previously know as “Red Ryder BIG Beer.” Red Ryder was dubiously awarded two “cease and desist” orders for its name. So with its unique new name (inspired by the long arm of the law), Ol’ Red Cease and Desist brings more to the table than just a big, malty flavor and climaxing warm sensation, it brings a legal record!

Beer Stories
Editor’s note: Formerly known as both "Red Ryder Big Beer" and "Red Ryder Ale".

blkitson (158) - Westerville, Ohio, USA - DEC 16, 2006
beautiful red color - very little head. This is quite malty to the taste. Not bad but not the best I had.

DocLock (10702) - Lower Pottsgrove, Pennsylvania, USA - DEC 15, 2006
Bottle from Pat’s. Ruby pour with minimal tan head. Aroma of caramel malt, some vinous cabernet-like fruit, and some slight rauchy aroma. Medium palate, with the fruity and caramel notes and more heat as it warms.

Dogbrick (13026) - Columbus, Ohio, USA - DEC 13, 2006
Pours a rich dark amber color with a thin bone white head that was gone almost instantaneously. Spotty lacing. Aroma of caramel and malt. Medium-bodied with equal parts malt and fruit flavor. The alcohol is suprisingly hard to detect in the flavor. The sweet malt is pretty consistent throughout. The finish is smooth and sweet, with a mild burnt malt aftertaste. Could be better, but still a bit above average.

cheap (5862) - Beaver Valley, Beaver County, Pennsylvania, USA - DEC 13, 2006
The last scotch ale I drank was McEwans and I didn’t care for that one so I am not too excited about this one. I wish Erie would put on the label what kind of beer it was, that would help me choose the ones I like instead of it being a mystery beer. I don’t carry around my computer when I’m in the store so I can’t look up the beer on the spot. This was a 12 oz brown bottle and on the front it said Red Ryder Big Beer, not ale. Pours almost brown but transparent. Taste reveals hoppy and sweet, very unrefined. Seems to be a bit to alky for me. Terribly offensive taste (just like McEwans!) Finish is like drinking bitter cough medicine. Will not buy again because I don’t like Scotch ales. However, if Scotch ales are your thing, you better try it out because it really is a good scotch ale!

nolankowal (938) - Columbus, Ohio, USA - DEC 10, 2006
Bottle shared by puddintane. Pours red with a light tan head. Aroma of light malt and a bit of brown sugar. Big caramel malt flavor and some booze. Smooth mouthfeel with sort of a sweet/clean finish. Not bad, but I think if I had a choice, I’d rather have the BB gun.

edden (925) - cow- lumbus, Ohio, USA - DEC 9, 2006
UPDATED: DEC 10, 2006 12/9/06: bottle.
light red-brown body. ample head - tan in color. nose is sweetly malted. flavors include alcohol, sweet brown suga’, caramel and hops. nice & strong.

POD (198) - USA - DEC 7, 2006
Bottles. Nice red beer. Looks like Killian Red. Not much aroma. The thin tan head disappeared quickly. Flavor is alchohol, sweek bitter malt, caramel, and molasses. Nice lingering sweet turning to bitter aftertaste. Not bad. I’d drink it again.

LinusStick (3462) - Moon Twp, suburb of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA - DEC 7, 2006
First scottish ale I’ve reviewed. The aroma was non-existent. This beer LOOKS beautiful, however. I love red beers and this is a beautiful red color with a small head. The taste is sweet with traces of caramel and brown sugar. Molasses is also in there with a hot alcoholly finish. This is a mutt of tastes. Good, but I need to try some other beers listed as Scottish Ale before I pass judgement on the style.

sliffy (2040) - Columbus, Ohio, USA - DEC 6, 2006
Bottle: Red with a white head. Aroma, caramel, brown sugar, not much in the way of hops. Flavor, caramel, a bit syrupy, definitely some heat on the finish. Solid but unimpressive.

OhioDad (2492) - Hilliard, Ohio, USA - DEC 2, 2006
12oz bottle labled as Red Ryder BIG beer.. You need to look at the bottom of the 6 pack to actually figure out what it is... Pours dark amber with a short tan creamy head. Aromas of caramel, molasses, some brown sugar and a little maple syrup. Flavor is caramel, brown sugar, alcohol, and some maple. Palate is lightly carbonated but pretty hot on the finish.