overall
RATINGS: 54   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.2/5   EST. CALORIES: 150   ABV: 5%
From beer novice to beer geek, everyone loves this beer! This is what Scottish ale is supposed to taste like. The Scottish traditionally do not use a lot of hops in their beers. This is a carmel/malty beer with a slightly nutty roasty component. Amber in color. OG=1.058 / FG=1.020 / 20-IBU’s / 5% alcohol

jimmbo123 (44) - Washington, USA - JUL 28, 2012
Tap: Smooth, creamy, bready, caramel, beer flavor, bit honey flavor, nothing offensive. Not too sweet or cidery like many Scottish ales. Much better on tap. Took me 50 days to finish a keg & it was good all the way through. Previously I had bought some cans of this on sale at New Seasons for only $1.50 each, first few where maybe a 3.8, rest got lost in a move for about 6 months and degraded to about a 3.0.

blackmurder (236) - Whitaker, Oregon, USA - APR 19, 2012
I’m being generous with my review because for the price paid this is an outstanding beer. I paid a whole $1.99 for this beer. I drank it out of the can so my rating on the appearance is based on the artwork, which is badass. Taste is pretty typical of a Scottish ale. Not too hop oriented with that sweetness that only a Scottish ale can really give you. This is easily drinkable and I could see myself using this as a session beer easily.

Shamelessjames (8) - California, USA - AUG 4, 2011 does not count
There isn’t much nose but that is probably a good thing. It is definitely one of the better American brewed British styles that I’ve had in a can. As expected it is nicely malted. The hops are a little bright but again more "Scottish" than others I’ve had. That is it was nicely flat on the end. It’s also has whiskey overtones. The carbonation was a little too crisp but again, coming from a can as opposed to cask (for example) it is probably a necessity. Pairings are pretty simple. The carmel overtones match nicely with dark slow cooked meat or fried foods. You can probably get a little adventurous with cheese. Standard British styles are good but I think there are some younger cheese with strong noses that work. Also feel free to drink this with dessert as long as the fruit isn’t too acidic. Figs come to mind but a very ripe peach would also work. Sweet biscuits, chocolate, cream or mint will all work great.

Davhgbrew (948) - Seattle, Washington, USA - DEC 26, 2013
Off tap at wob cap hill. Pours clear amber. Sips crisp and amber ale like. Low abv and not too malt forward as you might expect. Finish is the most Scotland thing about it. That is where the malt comes stronger. My kind of Scottish ale. I recommended it to a cust who usually drinks bass and she chose this sample over Anderson valley boot amber, so it clearly crosses lines.

Reid (2626) - Salem, Oregon, USA - APR 7, 2010
1pint can amazingly! From Capital Market ,Salem Lovelly looking beer here. Clear darkish amber, with a gorgeous ,pilloy ,foamy light tan head. Aroma subdued, but mainlly nutty and malty. Taste again slightly bitter caramel style malts, touch of smoke in the back of the throat, some nuttiness and a ting of hop. Nice palate, smooth and rich yet not overly so. Actually not a bad 90 schilling ale. Real surprise in a can.

5000 (6862) - Hardened Liver, Washington, USA - NOV 26, 2011
Can:   Deep amber, hazy, moderate frothy light beige head, sparce lacing.   Malty nose, a little toasty, somewhat mealy, slight forest notes... like sweetened pine or something.   It actually kind of reminds me of sap on a pinecone.   Very interesting.   Tangy semi-sweet maltiness on the tongue.   Again with the pine tree and/or pinecone.   It actually lends itself well.   Not much in the way of peat or campfire.   Remains malty flavored on the finish, but its not overly heavy.   I like this one, a little different but also unique.   Finish is slightly nutty, with a little bit of cocoa.   Yeah, pretty tasty if you ask me!

Zymurgeist2 (2366) - Redwood City, California, USA - NOV 30, 2011
Pours a deep, clear copper with an off-white head that lingers and has nice lacing. Beautiful, rich caramel malt aroma. Well rounded full, chewy malt. Nice bitterness.