overall
Formerly brewed at Unknown Origin - Germany (Brauerei Nemo Namenlos GmbH & Co. KG)
Style: Dunkler Bock
Lohnbrauhausen, Germany

RATINGS: 41   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.37/5   EST. CALORIES: 183   ABV: 6.1%

CaptainCougar (7133) - Columbia, Maryland, USA - JAN 26, 2003
Smells like mosquito repellant and tastes like it too. Pours a light cloudy amber, which is too light for a bock. Malt is detectable in the nose and body, but there is a terrible off-flavor that tastes like a hop tang that reacted with the clay bottle. Finish is probably the most enjoyable/least unpleasant. Definitely not worth the $6.79 a bottle or the name bock.

joemacaluso (119) - Prairieville, Louisiana, USA - DEC 27, 2002
A beer to drink only on special occasions. Even my wife likes it.

fly (1486) - austin, Tejas, Texas, USA - DEC 16, 2002
I enjoy this. The stein is way cool, but know it raises theprice to a point that is higher than what I value the beer to be. At least my homebrewing buds can use it. Nice malty German fare. Not heads above the many great German beers I have had, but in the realm of fair.

austinpowers (2828) - San Francisco, California, USA - AUG 25, 2002
An insanely hard-to-find and pricey beer. NO ONE carries this brew, so when I finally got my hands on one, thanks to user aracauna, I was psyched! However, the alcohol was not as well-hidden as I would have liked and there was little aroma or bockiness. Lastly, despite a hard pour, I could barely get any head of any kind. Yes, the crockware container is terrific, but I favor Fiedler’s Pils im Stein instead. This ’bock’ is really a Belgian ale in disguise.

legion242 (2348) - Richardson, Texas, USA - JUN 21, 2002
Slightly hazy-yellow color; Head was dense and soapy- faded quickly; Nose was ’clean’. Sweet malt to start. Floral- interesting. Warmness hits the esophagus nicely. 1/3 mark it turns flat and still- big points off for this.

aracauna (3606) - Georgia, USA - APR 22, 2002
(I had to rewrite my review of this beer after learning a little about what yeast can contribute to taste) Very interesting beer. I’m not sure what’s going on with this beer. I’ve never tasted a lager that was this complex. It really tasted more like an ale and like it came from Belgium. It has that same spicy corianderish taste that a lot of Belgian-style ales have from the alcohol and yeast (Maudite, Clovic, Affligem Tripel). I’m not sure if something was added here or what was going on. Taste is very different. This beer stands apart. Not the prettiest beer, though. Only average head and looks like watered down apple juice.

hennes (934) - Fountain, Michigan, USA - MAR 12, 2002
They have these at Oliver T’s - a neat specialty food and beverage store in Grand Blanc, Mich. Yup, the crocks are cool, but I wonder if they hold the carbonation well? This was very lightly carbonated and had a very brief head, no lacing. the aroma is big and bold - you know you’re in for serious abv. The taste is butter and apples, butter and apples, baby, like a malt injected cider or cidery malt, and I mean that in a good way. Interesting stuff.

PhillyBeer2112 (2850) - Oviedo, Florida, USA - JAN 10, 2002
Everyone is praising the crock. Well, it was cool, and heavy. I like this beer though - very unique. Very fruity in the aroma and flavor - almost alelike. Round sweetness and very potent. Pale caramel color and light carbonation. Is this really that hard to find? Go to the Rathskellar in Indianapolis.

Ron (3963) - Rochester, New York, USA - DEC 9, 2001
UPDATED: FEB 24, 2016 I had this beer years ago.(I found the crock in my storage room) I do remember enjoying it and thinking itwas worth the extra money.

FlemishChar (224) - Virginia, USA - OCT 11, 2001
Beer of remarkable aroma.. when I opened the beautiful stoneware crock, the room was filled with a delicious, fruity smell. The beer itself was awesome.. fruity, champaign like taste that actually resembled vaguely a Belgian golden ale like Duvel. It doesn’t really attempt to mask the alcohol flavor, from which you could tell that this is one potent brew. The color is almost exactly like Duvel too, and like Duvel, it has a heavy , thick body. I can’t believe this is a lager.