overall
Serve in Snifter, Tulip

RATINGS: 213   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.34/5   EST. CALORIES: 240   ABV: 8%
A deep red malt-forward ale brewed with plenty of caramel malts and a touch of rye, brewed and dry-hopped with Palisade and Zythos hops.

drowland (9186) - Georgia, USA - SEP 2, 2014
9/1/14. Happy Labor Day, I suppose. My wife and I were the only two in the restaurant. It was kind of nice, actually. A good burger and a couple of okay beers at one of my favorite hangs. I suppose I should get on with this rating, though, right? So anyway, I had this at Bleu Pub from a 16oz can served in a pint glass. Murky brown pour with a small, thick tan head that stuck around and mildly laced the glass. Rich aroma. I was thrown a little bit as they had this marked on their menu as an "amber ale" or something like that and I had to read the can to figure out what it really was and then look on here. If I had been handed this blindly, I’m not sure what I would have guessed... barleywine or an old ale or something like that, I suppose. Anyway, the rich aroma covered a nuttiness, rich dark fruits, a hint of a cardboardy aspect, some spice. Rich flavor as well, malty as all heck, some dark pit fruits, nutty, a touch of biscuitiness and rich toasted caramel. Not bad, pretty rich, a little sweet.

TattooJack (534) - Illinois, USA - SEP 1, 2014
When I saw this beer I weighed the pros and cons: beer named after one of my favorite punk rock songs of all time (+), tall boy can (+), 8% abv (+), made in Chicago (+), ridiculous picture (-), and into the cart at jewel it went. If they would have depicted the pig in an authentic Italian WWII wartime dress uniform it would have been 5 for 5, but dressing him like magnum PI’s boss confused me a bit. Now the beer is strong like the song, a little bitter like some of the lyrics. It packs a punch like whatever i was drinking the first time I heard this song live (probably cisco). I enjoyed the overall experience and have nothing bad to say about anything that reverts me back to yelling at the top of my lungs "RIOT SQUAD, BASH THEIR HEADS!!"

Jabic (735) - Plainfield, Vermont, USA - AUG 20, 2014
Ar: Rich malt, lots of caramel, big orange hop aroma. Ap: Amber-red, clear - large tan head with good retention, leaves lots of foam siding and a thick cap. T: Toasted malt and sticky caramel - orange and grapefruit, a bit of pine - bitterness is high and clean - finish is more caramel and lingering bitterness. P: Medium body with high carbonation - finish is medium-dry. O: Solid american strong ale - good malt and hop balance, both being robust.

Ericular (1042) - Minnesota, USA - AUG 17, 2014
Pours a hazy, dirty orange with fading foamy head and not much lacing. Aroma is malty, just a touch too much. Taste is spicy with rye, drying later to become pretty assertive. It works well, and is a great strong ale with no sign of alcohol, if in the mood for peppery rye. Not sure I’d seek it out again, but good if in the right mindset.

Mark_Eck (1998) - - AUG 9, 2014
Pours a darker amber color. Aroma and taste are nicely balanced with caramel and citrus.

wisdomsolo (472) - St Petersburg, Florida, USA - AUG 4, 2014
Really nice. Very hoppy with some malty notes. I enjoyed it. Thanks Doug!!!

fluffy (2461) - St Petersburg, Florida, USA - AUG 4, 2014
Good lord this is hoppy! I'm sure lots of people like this for it's hoppiness, but I will pass. ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

wilnatp (719) - Minnesota, USA - JUL 29, 2014
Can. Decent but not well balanced. Hops were a bit more bitter than I expected based on the description.

Oldmanriver (59) - Freiburg, GERMANY - JUL 23, 2014
Had at Taps in Atlanta,Ga. Copper light brown color. Complex malt character. Due to rye and caramel malts. Medium to full body. With an odd mixture of a simotanious sweet malt and bitter hop finish. ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

BeerdedDave (2010) - Beckley, USA - JUL 22, 2014
beautiful red color with a white head; caramel malt and bitter hop aroma; an interesting, well balanced beer; bready, caramel malt flavor; slightly fruity and slightly sweet, with notes of crisp, dry rye; floral, citrusy hops balance it out nicely; dry, bitter rye finish