overall

RATINGS: 319   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.73/5   EST. CALORIES: 159   ABV: 5.3%
Secret Stache Stout is a robust stout. The specialty ingredients, vanilla bean and lactose, lend to its complexity and full flavor. While no actual chocolate was used to brew this beer, heaps of chocolate malt give the beer its color as well as its chocolate and coffee notes.

Erikh04 (153) - - SEP 18, 2014
From a can to a pint glass. Fantastic stout. Thick, smokey, and smooth. Will definitely get again. ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

JStax (7181) - Devola/Marietta, Ohio, USA - SEP 5, 2014
Can poured into a big snifter. Pours dark brown color with a khaki head of foam. Moderate retention. The aroma has coffee grounds, vanilla, roast, dark chocolate, and a hint at some cinnamon. The taste is roasty and sweet with a very pleasant dark chocolate presence.Creamy, silky mouthfeel. Moderate carbonation. Very good beer.

hopmelt (197) - Painesville TWP, Ohio, USA - AUG 30, 2014
Pours almost black, finger thick creamy tan hard, medium lacing. Aroma roast, vanilla bean, toasted malt, milk chocolate, earthy, slight coffee with cream and sugar. Taste slight bitter earthy, coffee, roast and toasted malt, vanilla bean, earthy, roasty and coffee finish. Mouthfeel creamy, slight roast astringency, full body, low carbonation, slightly dry finish. Overall very tasty, complex, this is my favorite lower abv stout, beautiful 16oz can as well, try this.

Travlr (26130) - Charlotte, North Carolina, USA - AUG 24, 2014
Can. Dark brown color. Aroma of dark bittersweet cocoa. Taste is unmotivated cocoa (OK, I’m having trouble reading my own handwriting), espresso. Nice full body.

BeerdedDave (1875) - Beckley, USA - AUG 22, 2014
black color with a tan head; aroma is chocloate, vanilla, coffee, and roasted malt; a nice, smooth stout with a medium bodied roasted malt base with notes of espresso, and chocolate, and hints of vanilla; luckily they did not overdo the vanilla as so many brewers tend to do

LuckyDog (615) - - AUG 22, 2014
This was a really great stout. Roasted notes. Not a strong hop bite. One of the best stouts I’ve had in a long time.

drowland (9080) - Georgia, USA - AUG 22, 2014
8/22/14. 16oz can from Five Points. This certainly showed up in Valdosta randomly. Deep black pour with a nice tan head that looks good at first but fades to nothing but a ring and very minimal lacing pretty quickly. I’m more than halfway through my glass and I see just hardly little spritzes of ringed, webbed lacing after certain drinks. For whatever reason the aroma screams soy sauce to me - meaty, savory, salty in a way - followed by a bit of ashiness and dark chocolate. I can’t say I’m scoping much vanilla out of this on the aroma at least. I’ve been contemplating this brew as I go, and what strikes me is the dry acidity of an Irish stout but fuller bodied and with a huge ashy aspect on top of that meaty, salty, soy sauce aspect I found in the aroma. The lactose serves to smooth it out a bit and sweeten the mid-palate as well as leave a really nice creamy slickness on my tongue that I’m actually enjoying quite a bit. This may also partially because of the pairing with vanilla in there, which comes through a touch in the flavor (definitely more than I was finding in the aroma). Well, I suppose I’ll finish my 4-pack, but I don’t see myself seeking this out in the future. Not bad.

GenDV138 (7708) - Falls Church, Virginia, USA - AUG 18, 2014
16 oz can shared by Travlr before the DC Local Tasting, thanks Gene! Black with tan head. Aromas of cream, chocolate, roast, vanilla. Tastes of roast, chocolate, light hops and vanilla. Medium body with a dry finish. Creamy mouthfeel. Pretty good.

solidfunk (9409) - Washington D.C., Washington DC, USA - AUG 18, 2014
Vanilla and roast that comes together very well. Creamy texture. Pours black with mocha head and lacing. Can from Grape and Gourmet in Virginia Beach.

radagast83 (8476) - Arlington, Virginia, USA - AUG 16, 2014
16oz can. Poured a dark brown color with a small tan head. Aroma was roasted malts, some sweet milk chocolate. Flavor was sweet chocolate, roasted malts. Good!