overall
RATINGS: 1123   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.22/5   SEASONAL: Special   IBU: 82   EST. CALORIES: 420   ABV: 14%
Parabola has been a major component of past anniversary blends and is one of our most aggressive offerings. This beer features bold bourbon and tobacco aromas and a rich dark chocolate, charred oak flavor. Parabola is best enjoyed in moderation and is a perfect beer to pair with those chocolate dessert favs.
An extension of Quercus Alba —the Firestone Walker Barrel aged program. Russian Imperial Stout Aged in Bourbon Barrels.

Elwood (3347) - Leesburg, Virginia, USA - JUL 13, 2012
Serving: Draft at Fireworks. It pours a very dark brown color with a thin, tan head. The nose is powerful, full of vanilla and bourbon. Lots of vanilla, bourbon, wood, chocolate, and alcohol in the flavor. The alcohol stands out a bit, but this brew is surprisingly drinkable. Still, it’s a sipper given the high ABV. Outstanding beverage.

CitizenMeow (19) - Linköping, SWEDEN - JUL 9, 2012
Pitch black. Little or no head. Smells of bourbon, lots. Vanilla and dark fruits. Thick mouthfeel, low carbonation. Taste of coffee, dark fruits, dark everything, bourbon etc.. great brew

PapaSkeetSkeet (1010) - Providence, Rhode Island, USA - JUL 7, 2012
UPDATED: JUL 9, 2012 pours dark espresso with a rich, fine brown head. After several minutes, fades to a ring, which remains. When held up directly to a light, it glints straight through with near-infrared frequencies; beautiful. Aroma is strong bourbon, moderate-to-strong vanilla, moderate-to-light dark chocolate. Light tobacco, hint of leather and coffee. Body is THICK with slow-to-develop fizzy blanket of fine carbonation. Flavor: moderate bourbon and vanilla, booze, chocolate. Light-to-moderate tobacco. light bbq sauce. touch of herbal bitterness in there. Reminds me of 12th anniversary Old Rasputin; it’s been too long though to tell which I prefer or to comment on their differences. A lovely treat, and difficult to pinpoint any area of shortcoming (something I’m good at doing.) Perhaps a tad bit more complexity, like licorice, or blending different oak, would bump it up into the 4.3/4.4/4.5 territory, which would be one of the best 5 beers I’ve had. A good one to share with a buddy and reminisce about the good times (sadly, I’m enjoying by myself. I"ll have to come back for more in the future.)

HomeBrewHawk (464) - De Soto, Kansas, USA - JUL 5, 2012
2012 vintage. 22oz. bottle served in a snifter. Poured a deep brown/black with a thin tan head. Chocolate, vanilla and a little alcohol in the aroma. Full bodied and rich. More chocolate and roasted barley in the flavor. I found this to be a little hot. Really long dry malty finish. I expected more barrel, but it was nicely balanced. Would have benefited from some age.

bmerz (741) - Brooklyn, New York, USA - JUL 3, 2012
Bottle 2012. Oil black with No head but thick legs...a point for cool packaging. Aroma is not so huge or hot...but is chocolate cherries; moderate licorice, prunes, roasted malt and and some alcohol heat. It’s lively in the nose. Flavor is mostly chocolate, licorice, espresso coffee beans, oak, bourbon, and a bit of tang in the back. It is so thick and sticky, a standout feature to me. it’s viscous! Despite how big it is the all comes together for a balanced sipper I’m happy I have to drink by myself.

zinvegas (10) - California, USA - JUL 3, 2012
My new favorite beer. Pours a very dark brown with a small tan head. Aroma is very much bourbon with hints of chocolate. The beginning of the sip gives you a very hot, boozy flavor, but the oak, chocolate, vanilla, and even a bit of cherry flavors mask the high ABV after the initial taste. Aftertaste is lingering malt and a hint of vanilla, and the mouth feel is also very nice for a beer with such a high alcohol content.

beergodd1 (401) - Conneaut, Ohio, USA - JUL 2, 2012
Pours a dark brown color with a small tan head. Faint spotty lacing. Aroma is lightly roasted malt and bourbon. Flavor is roasted malt, chocolate, vanilla, and oak/bourbon. Very nice. Alcohol is noticeable, but it is 13%. Finish is fairly smooth with no unpleasant lingering aftertaste. Medium to full body. A very good beer. But a sipper.

Sleuthdogg (31) - Illinois, USA - JUN 30, 2012
2012 Vintage poured into tulip Appearence: Pours a dark brown to almost black in color with about a one finger size head. The head is of a light brown color that dissapates quickly to leave some real nice lacing behind. Smell: The smell is of a rather simple bourbon and vanilla with a slight alcohol. I do pick up on some possible chocolate and a sweetness like molasses with some faint roasted character. It is a pretty sweet smelling beer. Taste: Upon initial taste I get the bourbon and vanilla followed by some of the sweetness and some faint chocolate. On the swallow I do notice a light hop character that really seems to tone down the sweetness and prevents this from being overly sweet. I must mention that the alcohol is fairly well hidden but at the same time noticeable. I do get some very, very slight alcohol burn but in no way unpleasant. A rather simple tasting beer but one that for that reason is easily enjoyed! Mouthfeel: This beer is surprisingly smooth. I was expecting this to be "hot" and not as creamy as it is. The carbonation is pleasing and the body very enjoyable too. It’s silky smooth in my mouth and not too viscous but like I said befor very creamy and smooth. Excellent feel! Overall: Just a very enjoyable experience with this one. Not overy complicated but a rather straight forward beer that is a sipping pleasure. I’m interested what some time would do to this but it is so good fresh I don’t know if time would do this one good.

Onenote81 (1002) - Winston-Salem, North Carolina, USA - JUN 30, 2012
Bottle, bottled on 3/14/12. Poured into a chalice. This beer pours a tinge lighter than black. An inch worth of mocha head rests atop. Light lace left behind. The nose is sweet with vanilla, maple, gingerbread, chocolate, oak. The bourbon isn’t as strong in the nose as I’d expected. Moderate mouthfeel, with decent carbonation presence. Slight oily feel on the back end, but drinks nicely. Chocolate, coffee, vanilla. Again, the bourbon is underplayed, but its subtlety is what I like about this. Rounds out a nice roasted brew, giving a welcome sweet balance. I usually like to split my bombers with someone, but this one was a treat to drink on my own. Loved it.

ryanfolty (2606) - Bourbon County, Minnesota, USA - JUN 29, 2012
Date: June 29, 2012 Mode: Bottle Source: Trade with some dude who I am forgetting in my drunken stupor Description: Black pour with some red at the edges. Aroma was bourbon, wood and roasted malt. Taste was consistent with aroma. Full bodied and smooth. 2011 vintage.