overall
RATINGS: 1220   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.98/5   IBU: 80   EST. CALORIES: 249   ABV: 8.3%
Wookey Jack is our first foray into the dark outer world of black IPAs. Rich dark malts and spicy rye careen into bold citrus laden hops creating a new dimension in IPA flavor. This brew has been left unfiltered and unfined to retain all of its texture and character. At 60 IBUs, Wookey Jack is gnarly on the outside yet complex and refined on the inside.

Ibrew2or3 (8814) - Tempe, Arizona, USA - JUN 3, 2013
What a great beer to celebrate rating #1000 of California brewed beer.

22oz bomber pours with a mahogany head supporting a dark tan head of foam. The aroma offers a mix of malt sweetened dank earthy onion to garlic like hops mixing with citrus and a bit of dark roasted malts. The taste is similar and rich and I can really sink my teeth into it. I get firm citrus hops and dank garlic hops that mingle seamlessly with a dash of pine hop bitterness and a light degree of dark roasted malts. This comes together beautifully and the more I try it the more I want. I’ve had this over and over again and just could NOT get myself to take down notes and capture the experience. So this time I am despite the poor note taking execution here. I love this stuff.

YouveGotAle (7) - Cypress, Texas, USA - JUN 3, 2013 does not count
The rye, malts and some floral jump right out of this bomber when you open it. I continue to get these smells as I poor into a glass. The color is a solid black with a tight bubly cap. The taste has a peppery rye taste nicely balanced by malt and the hops of a double IPA. This beer will not let you escape noticing it. As I continue drinking a pleasant companionable booziness pervades. I can’t wait to circle back around to this one.

gringo332 (645) - Richardson, Texas, USA - JUN 3, 2013
Bomber, pours a beautiful midnight black with a light tan head. Aroma is chocolate, roasted malt, rye. Taste is roasted malt, coffee, and piney hops finishing very bitter, yet smooth and somewhat dry. Pretty solid.

Borup (15350) - Albertslund, DENMARK - JUN 2, 2013
Sample at CBC 2013. Dark brown colour with a beige head. Aroma and flavour of spcie, roasted malt, chocolate, hops and fruit.

want1DIPA (227) - - JUN 1, 2013
Night 2 of the Black DIPA tasting and this classic is holding strong. The rye tones are what break this apart and makes the unique bitter quality of this fine brew. Unlike Hoppy Feet 1.5, Wookey finishes much like a standard DIPA and is absent much of any chocolate or coffee taste. ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone so go have a DIPA!

jbruner (5287) - Marietta, Georgia, USA - MAY 31, 2013
Pours a translucent brownish black from the bottle with thin tan ring of lacy head that sticks nicely. Aroma of the the west coast triple C hops, centennial, columbus, and cascade, with a slightly roasted back. Taste is more malty than the nose, but all the flavors are there, with a great balance for a black IPA. Slightly bitter and spicy on the mouth with a clean finish. One of the better black IPAs I have had.

Boutip (6533) - Gatineau, Quebec, CANADA - MAY 28, 2013
Bottle: Poured a deep black color ale with a large brown foamy head with good retention and some light lacing. Aroma of spicy rye malt notes with some dry hoppy notes with light resinous notes. Taste is also dominated by spicy rye notes with some resinous dry hoppy notes with light dry bitter notes. Body is about average with good carbonation and no apparent alcohol. Really nice mix between some spicy rye malt with solid hops punch.

EtTuCthulhu (1391) - Columbia, Missouri, USA - MAY 27, 2013
The color of this beer is a very dark mahogany with a large off-white head on top of the liquid, which fades slowly and creates a nice lacing on the edges of the glass; also, the aroma hits your nose full of hops, specifically resin and floral ones, and malt, specifically toasted ones. The taste is very well balanced with a mild bitterness, slight umami, and a touch of sweetness, which is only complemented by the palate’s sticky texture, medium body, active carbonation, and long bitter finish. Overall, everything fits together very nicely in this beer without one thing taking control and ruining the brew.

Steverus0 (332) - Shreveport, Louisiana, USA - MAY 25, 2013
Bold, black and beautiful. This Black rye has wonderful balance between these three elements. Wonderful citrus and pine hop notes blend gracefully with a bold enough rye presence to share the forum. Low effervescence is ok and keeps the head from dissipating too quickly. All in all - superb ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

EricTeusink (702) - Atlanta, Georgia, USA - MAY 25, 2013
While I believe I have rated several other beers from this brewery, this was the first Firestone Walker beer I ever tried. I typically dislike Black IPA. This beer managed to avoid seeming like you mixed together porter and IPA in equal parts. Pours the color of dark roast coffee with a tan head. Only complaint would be that I found it slightly under-carbonated. This beer really impressed me with how well the sweet malts and bitter hops blend together. Bottle - Trade from RABinVA