overall
RATINGS: 1220   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.98/5   IBU: 80   EST. CALORIES: 249   ABV: 8.3%
Wookey Jack is our first foray into the dark outer world of black IPAs. Rich dark malts and spicy rye careen into bold citrus laden hops creating a new dimension in IPA flavor. This brew has been left unfiltered and unfined to retain all of its texture and character. At 60 IBUs, Wookey Jack is gnarly on the outside yet complex and refined on the inside.

jbeahler (89) - USA - DEC 16, 2012
22oz bomber, poured into a pint glass. Pours a dark brown, opaque and unfiltered. Nice frothy tan head. Looks like a porter, smells like an IPA. Lots of citrusy hop character and roasted malts. Tastes like a bitter hoppy IPA, piney citrusy hops balanced by sweet chocolate and molasses maltyness. Rye is noticeable nicely in the finish. Great carbonation and moderately thick mouthfeel. Very drinkable. So glad I tried it.

agent_511 (159) - - DEC 15, 2012
Pours black with a medium creamy light tan head. Aroma of roasty coffee, citrus and resin hops, and a little pine. Tastes of pine and citrus with a strong malt backing of cereal, caramel, and roasty coffee. Creamy full bodied with a little alcohol warmth. Fantastic beer and so well made.

Wirk (3) - - DEC 15, 2012 does not count
A bomber. Aroma is bitter chocolate, toffee and citrusy hops flavour (Citra and Amarillo) . Taste is amazing, a perfect combination of malt sweetness and hops, rye is present, specially in the dry aftertaste. Medium carbonation, easy drinking. Like heaven on glass.

DesertDevil (699) - Arizona, USA - DEC 14, 2012
On tap at the Watering Hole in Whole Foods Chandler. Pours dark, rich brown with a light beige head. Slight rye on the nose and almost nothing else. Taste starts with a light hop bite, them the rye kicks in. An almost astringient palate. Nice, unlike any black IPA I’ve had.

Scrapersnbeer (1532) - Boston, Massachusetts, USA - DEC 13, 2012
I saw it and it had to be mine, and for $8 a bomber, I knew it would be a one time affair. Massive spicy, smokey, roasted resinous aromatic nonsense. Not necessarily appealing, but very intense. Oily blackish brown, greasy, lacy head everywhere. Man is it bitter, but it has that black burnt malt semisweetness that balances so well. Long, resin filled presence at the back of the palate that will last until you consume something else. Heavy and punishing like a linebacker’s blitz. Not for the faint of stomach, even if not exactly a boozey brew.

BrewMoose (88) - Florida, USA - DEC 12, 2012
22oz bomber. Pours jet black with thick head. Medium carbonation. Not as much hop aroma as I would expect. Big citrus hop flavor. Rye spice is balanced perfectly with the hop and yeast characters to make one outstanding beer. ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

Keyes88 (161) - New Jersey, USA - DEC 12, 2012
Pours a black body with a slight mocha colored head. Massive tropical aroma with chocolate and roast. Taste continues with a nice blend of chocolate and roast with the tropical notes. Becomes more bitter over time. Medium body with medium carbonation. Great rendition of the style especially for the price. ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

Stash (2) - Fairfax, Virginia, USA - DEC 11, 2012 does not count
Perfect beer. amazing citrus hops in your face, balanced roasty malt and perfect amount of rye. all in a creamy dark delivery. this one is for real.. thank god they’re making it a regular

PuD (1) - Peyton, Colorado, USA - DEC 11, 2012 does not count
I’m not a big India pale ale fan, but when I came across this brew at my liquor outlet I had to give it a try. The black rye is what caught my attention. I had never had anything like that before and I must say, I’m hooked. It has an amazing aroma and a nice complex flavor that I couldn’t put down. My only regret... Not buying more when I had the chance.

dallenbrew (1) - Washington, USA - DEC 11, 2012 does not count
Finally a black IPA that makes sense to me. The rye dries it out nicely, adds flavor and combined with the bitterness and hop flavor makes this beer something more than a hoppy Porter, which so many black IPAs are. Leave it to FW to get it right.