overall

RATINGS: 56   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.72/5   EST. CALORIES: 198   ABV: 6.6%
Rich, velvet, a creamy malty oatmeal induced stout.

Scotthops (8) - Minnesota, USA - AUG 24, 2009 does not count
Dark, creamy stout head with oatmeal, licorice, coffee, and leather on the nose. Burned maltiness and coffee on the tongue. Smooth and heavy. One of the best stouts that I’ve tasted recently.

Hophead22 (2879) - Redlands, by way of Wisconsin,, California, USA - JUL 26, 2009
Sample at the brewpub. Very dark, just a little bit of dark red showing through, had a nice creamy light brown head. Nice roasty, chocolate aroma. Extremely smooth and silky, more roastiness, light coffee and a little sweet with a nice bitter bite in the end.

Pastor (799) - Skowhegan, Maine, USA - JUL 7, 2009
A big thanks to HogWildLiquor for sending along this treat. Growler poured into a pint glass produced a finger worth of tan head that didn’t last long, this is due to the growler I think. The body of the brew was the typical stout black in color Aromas of sweet chocolate are big on this brew. Followed by some nice oatmeal sweetness filling my nose. The flavor is a mirror of the nose, sweet milk chocolate and nice sweet grains. The feel in my mouth is medium to heavy with not to much carbonation, which I chalk up to the growler again. A very sesionable stout I easily kicked the growler in a solid day. I think this is a good oatmeal stout it easily can hang with the big boys in this style. Well worth the try I would love to revisit this sometime strait from the tap.

IlanMan (1015) - Appleton, Wisconsin, USA - MAY 10, 2009
From growler. Pour was dark and thick with medium colored tan head. Carbonation was a bit low in the growler but it didn’t detract from the beer much. Aroma was strong with roasted barley, chocolate, light coffee, and creamy oatmeal. Flavor was surprisingly full and smooth with light oats, chocolate, and smooth malt roastiness. Quite a good oatmeal stout.

pantanap (3366) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - SEP 27, 2008
growler thanks to my buddy curt..... pours a dark brown close to black with a quickly fading bubbly head..... aroma roasted malt, chocolate, and oats.....flavors remained consistent with the nose. quite roasty with an abundance of chocolate. generally sweet. decent mouthfeel but lacked a little carbonation due to the growler being held for too long.

islay (2816) - Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA - APR 6, 2008
3 oz. pour, on tap at the brewhouse. This was the fifth of 9 Fitger’s beers I tried on 4-4-08. Roasted malt aroma features coffee and mocha scents. Pours dark brown. Coffee and dark chocolate flavors with a slowly developing sweetness. Light, roasted aftertaste. Medium body. Soft in the palate. Easy to drink. Big Boat is a pleasant oatmeal stout, but it came far from blowing me away.

CaptainCougar (7133) - Columbia, Maryland, USA - NOV 18, 2007
On tap at the 2007 GTMW: Pours an opaque black with a frothy, well-lacing light brown head. Aroma of sweet mapley caramel with some earthy dark chocolate. Body starts sweet and fairly rich with good dark caramel and chocolate maltiness along with molasses. A very nice oatmeal stout.

hellomynameis (877) - Mayer, Minnesota, USA - OCT 2, 2007
Lots of roast in the nose. Black with a big ol’ soft brown head on top. Lots of roasted malt with a drying and slightly acidic feel. Feels a lot like black coffee instead of beer.

thomasacross (129) - Edina, Minnesota, USA - SEP 23, 2007
Draft at the Brewhouse. Got some faint flavors of coffee -- my wife got more of the intended flavors than I did. I don’t think my palate is ready for sweet stouts yet. Definitely one of the better beers I had at Fitgers -- I slightly preferred the Tug Boat Irish Stout -- I think I prefer dry stout in general.

undsioux7 (874) - Eden Prairie, Minnesota, USA - AUG 5, 2007
sample at pub. Dark brown with a nice creamy dark tan head. Very nice coffee and chocolate taste. Nice mouthfeel. A touch smoother and this would be a winner.