RATINGS: 277   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.95/5   EST. CALORIES: 300   ABV: 10%
Firsthand accounts describe an intense beast with a potent aroma and bite. Proof that the elusive monster exists? Or proof that brewing with five distinct varieties of hops creates an unbelievable, relentlessly hopped India Pale Ale? One taste and you’ll know, Swamp Ape is for real. Editor: if you have a black IPA in your hands, rate it under "Black Swamp Ape," not here...

• Statistics
  • Locate Sellers

HenryHello (1) - Miami, USA - DEC 4, 2015 does not count
My beer of choice. Extremely underrated probably because of its extremely sharp bite. It is massively hopped: strong and bitter. But leaves a nice (if powerful) aftertaste. But forget the taste: this is the only beer that takes me where I want to be. Two of them, and I’m in a great place.

MetalNHopHead (2332) - Lincoln, Nebraska, USA - NOV 22, 2015
I’ve got to express some admiration. Swamp Ape comes at you with balls-out bitterness and alcohol. I just wish there was more style with all the substance. This is an uncoordinated attack. The resinous hops hit you at all full force and the malt backbone tastes off somehow - musty, maybe? That’s too bad, too, because the aroma is decent. On the nose, you get caramel malt and dank hops. I love my Imperial IPA’s and tend to think I’m an easy scorer on them. Not this time.

HuskerTan (2538) - Ravenna, Nebraska, USA - NOV 20, 2015
Bottle. A- Caramel, malty, hops. A- Amber color, hazy liquid, off white head. T- Caramel, bready, bitter, cigar smoke. P- Full body, average texture, average carbonation, bitter finsh. O- Not as bitter or nasty as most previous reviews seem to point towards. Yes, it’s bitter, but I think I must have had a bottle with some age on it because a lot of caramel and malty backbone came through. Not bad, but I don’t want another.

DrNosha (2946) - Württemberg, Germany, GERMANY - NOV 6, 2015
12oz Flasche. Dunkle orange Farbe mit flachem Schaum. Extrem wuchtiges Hopfenaroma. Citrus, Marakuja, Kräuter, Karamell. Komplexer bitterer Geschmack, leicht alkoholisch. Nichts für Anfänger!

jflopsu (1862) - Hoboken, New Jersey, USA - NOV 1, 2015
Pours a clear bright orange. A very weak double IPA. A faint citrus and sugar/rum aroma. A weak taste of citrus, hops, pine, and some spices. No lingering bitter hop aftertaste.

rdixon77 (3141) - Georgia, USA - NOV 1, 2015
Bad double, good name. Heavy handed...too Boozy, too bitter, too sweet, slight metallic off taste. Yuck.

Tessic (1283) - Brantford, Ontario, CANADA - OCT 20, 2015
This IPA poured a medium,cloudy Amber colour with a big,beautiful cream coloured head. Scents include cream, spice, grass and hay. First swig was a kick in the face with hops. Way too much so. Bitter finish and way too over-hopped.

danaswanson (1) - Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, USA - OCT 11, 2015 does not count
Dry hopped. Cloudy copper color. Uses 6 different hops, Including Mandarina Bavarian. Has citrus and honey on the nose. Not bad.

Beerathon (1680) - Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, USA - SEP 10, 2015
Absolutely the strangest 2XIPA I’ve ever had. Actually doesn’t taste like an IPA at all, besides some hop bitterness. I get banana, bubblegum, and Belgian yeast. Reminds me a boozy Belgian Golden Ale or hoppy Tripel. Weird.

Errl (2577) - Plano, Texas, USA - AUG 23, 2015
Bottle...Pour is golden with a white head..Nose is bitter, brash, grain, sticky, biscuit...Taste is biscuit, harsh bitterness, spice,pine....