overall
RATINGS: 29   MEAN: 3.3/5.0   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.21/5   EST. CALORIES: 255   ABV: 8.5%
This saison was a small collaboration with an eatery in the Wicker Park area of Chicago, so we wanted this beer to be easily paired with food.

The initial idea was a saison with citrus flavors, so we took notes and went to work on a test batch. Pleased with the test batch, we moved to the large system. The amounts of spices translated to 3#s of peppercorns, 1.5#s of fresh rosemary, and the peels from 20#s of clementines on the 15bbl system. This beer also did all of its fermentation above 80F, peaking at around 88F. What we have as a result is a very aromatic, freshly citrus beer with all the great characteristics of a Belgian farmhouse ale. The ABV on this brew is a hefty 8.3% so don’t let the delicacy fool you.

boFNjackson (4230) - Portland, Oregon, USA - OCT 31, 2011
Bottle shared at a recent BA/RB tasting... A little all over the place here. An orange-golden pour with a thin head. The rosemary ruined it for me. Just an awful spice here. Some citrus, rind-like bitterness spice, and yeast dryness towards the finish. Get rid of that rosemary and I might be a happy camper.

BelgianBeerGal (4156) - Panama City, Florida, USA - MAY 7, 2012
Bottle at the pre-DLD party. My notes just say "yum, rosemary." It’s tough to write sarcastically but in general I’m not a rosemary fan...including this beer. My rosemary aversion aside, I think it was too dominant for a saison and covered most other aromas and flavors.

HonkeyBra (4044) - Lemont, Illinois, USA - APR 29, 2011
22oz bomber from the brewery. Hazy, dull orange pour with medium white head. Aroma of fruity Belgian yeast esters, rosemary, citrus peel. Mild pepper notes along with decidedly apple juice bits. Flavor is fruity, with more than a twinge of citrus. Apples, cinnamon, and other spices. Fairly dry. The pepper comes out towards the finish. Medium bodied, I’m shocked to look at the ABV, because it drinks a lot lighter. Great beer, though.

drewbeerme (3921) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - MAY 13, 2011
bottle at dld. pours gold with white head. nose is really phenolic, clovey. flavors of an over bearing phenolic yeast profile with sugar sweet finish. really undrinkable saison imo.

chibuck (3521) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - JUL 9, 2011
Thanks to Alex for this brewery only tick... medium apricot, light watery head gone immediately... smells terrible, malt with herbs, tons of aloe... the taste is better but not by much, less herbs, but nothing I’d want to drink

NobleSquirrel (3439) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - MAY 2, 2011
Bottle at DLD, I’m sorry I don’t know who brought it but thanks! Pours a hazy gold with an almost orangey note at the edge. Fluffy white head. My first thoughts are holy sh!t this has a ton of spices in it. And I don’t like excess spice in my beers. So there’s that. Pine like only rosemary can produce and a peppery phenolic component. Citrus comes through but is overshadowed by the spicy herbal aromatics. On taste, the pepper and rosemary lend an unpleasant astringency but the citrus kind of helps to abate that somewhat. I wish I could have more yeast aromatics. For the temps this was at, it should be more interesting fundamentally. Just seems somewhat unfocused. Interesting, just not my bag.

Ontbeertaster (3208) - Ontario, CANADA - MAY 2, 2011
On tap 4-29-11 at brewery. The beer was very interesting it pour yellow colour. It was a little bit sour but it tasted similar to other saisons, it was had that nice belgian yeastiness to it. I definitely would have this one again.

DrnkMcDermott (3136) - Downers Grove, Illinois, USA - JUN 11, 2013
2011 bomber. Time to dip again into my cellar. Pouring straight into glass gives me only a moderate, fizzy head over an orange body with plenty of bubbles. First thing to my nose is a smell of pizza dough yeast, then a note of orange. Not a lot of aroma besides that, but then this has been laid aside. Closer into, the orange does come in more like clementine than the same old orange peel. Not really catching pepper, but I’be had a couple pepper beers and said where’s the pepper, so it seems soaking the corns in wort adds something else to the taste. Instead it has a slight wheat malt spice. A suggestion of fruity overtone, and some aromatic Belgian malt. I mostly pick up yeast in the nose more than my tongue. Yes, the alcohol starts to catch up with me. As I drink further down, I’d say the malt is winning the day over the usual warm ferment spiciness. Orange character stays in a supporting role throughout. It’s aged out very well, and I’d say if you have any still squirreled away, drink ’em now. Cause I’m starting to get a hint of mildew every once in a while. It’s not bad now, but why wait?

wedgie9 (2703) - Nashville, Tennessee, USA - JUL 20, 2011
Tasted on 7/20/11 from a 22oz bottle purchased at Flossmoor at pre-DLD day. Pours clear, bright, orange with a thick white head that slowly recedes to a very thin layer of lace in the center of the beer, and a collar that is just a little bit thicker. The nose is signature spicy Saison yeast along with hints of peppercorn, orange peel, and a vegetal herbal aroma, with some cereal and bread malt. The flavor is lightly sweet with the bread and cereal malt up front. The vegetal flavor is a little stronger than the nose would have suggested with the peppercorns more subdued, and the same spicy Saison yeast and citrus peel. The body is fairly full, and somewhat sticky, with average carbonation and a long vegetal, peppercorn, and spicy yeast finish.

Atom (2572) - Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA - SEP 24, 2011
Bomber pours a murky amber with orange highlights and a small white head. Aroma is heavy on the oranges but pairing nicely with herbs, and Belgian spices, some well rounded caramel malts as well. Pretty heavy texture matching the ABV, clementines and Belgian spice. Something a bit off putting with how the alcohol is working between the oranges and spice but really liking the rosemary and pepper on the finish.