overall
RATINGS: 29   MEAN: 3.3/5.0   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.21/5   EST. CALORIES: 255   ABV: 8.5%
This saison was a small collaboration with an eatery in the Wicker Park area of Chicago, so we wanted this beer to be easily paired with food.

The initial idea was a saison with citrus flavors, so we took notes and went to work on a test batch. Pleased with the test batch, we moved to the large system. The amounts of spices translated to 3#s of peppercorns, 1.5#s of fresh rosemary, and the peels from 20#s of clementines on the 15bbl system. This beer also did all of its fermentation above 80F, peaking at around 88F. What we have as a result is a very aromatic, freshly citrus beer with all the great characteristics of a Belgian farmhouse ale. The ABV on this brew is a hefty 8.3% so don’t let the delicacy fool you.

ekoerper (599) - Iowa, USA - MAY 12, 2011
Tap at the pub. Aroma is light grains, citrus, and a lot of spices. Great deal of pepper and clove going on. Pours a somewhat dark golden with a good deal of haze and fluffy white head, decent retention and lacing. Flavor is very spicy; lots of pepper, orange, clove. Citrus notes are fairly strong, some malt flavors, and a good deal of residual sweetness. Rather full body considering the style, med-high carbonation.

drewbeerme (3920) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - MAY 13, 2011
bottle at dld. pours gold with white head. nose is really phenolic, clovey. flavors of an over bearing phenolic yeast profile with sugar sweet finish. really undrinkable saison imo.

BBB63 (6557) - La Porte, Indiana, USA - AUG 6, 2011
Bottle and served in mu big ole Tripel Karmeliet tulip: Pours a slightly hazy deep golden hue with a lasting fizzy head and spotty lace. The aroma has notes of pepper, clove, tangerines, orange zest, flowers, hayfields, bready and biscuity malts, some crystal and candi sugar too. The taste is pretty one dimensional, spicy and fruity with a grainy undertone. Not as crisp and refreshing as I would like in a Saison. Additional the alcohol does become a bit intrusive as it warmed. The mouth feel is a tad chewy and tea baggy, strange astringent tone that should not be there (perhaps from the spices?). Nice to try once but unless the recipe is tweaked, I will not be revisiting.

dm9831 (1512) - Monee, Illinois, USA - SEP 22, 2011
hazy gold, miniscule off white head, lacy. spicy nose, almost ginger bready. flavor is spicy, bready, hints of citrus. spicy sharp on the tongue, medium bodied, dry finish. not enough of a hop presence for me. enjoyed on tap @ brewpub.

boFNjackson (4201) - Portland, Oregon, USA - OCT 31, 2011
Bottle shared at a recent BA/RB tasting... A little all over the place here. An orange-golden pour with a thin head. The rosemary ruined it for me. Just an awful spice here. Some citrus, rind-like bitterness spice, and yeast dryness towards the finish. Get rid of that rosemary and I might be a happy camper.

Crash (532) - Macomb, Illinois, USA - MAY 2, 2011
This one is from the Peoria, Illinois International Beer Festival. Due to lack of space when drinking, my notes won’t be that great on these beers. Well, I had to get this one because of the name. Wasn’t great, wasn’t bad. Didn’t really take many notes.

BelgianBeerGal (4066) - Panama City, Florida, USA - MAY 7, 2012
Bottle at the pre-DLD party. My notes just say "yum, rosemary." It’s tough to write sarcastically but in general I’m not a rosemary fan...including this beer. My rosemary aversion aside, I think it was too dominant for a saison and covered most other aromas and flavors.

chibuck (3513) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - JUL 9, 2011
Thanks to Alex for this brewery only tick... medium apricot, light watery head gone immediately... smells terrible, malt with herbs, tons of aloe... the taste is better but not by much, less herbs, but nothing I’d want to drink

Thorpe429 (5035) - , Illinois, USA - FEB 26, 2012
Thanks yourefragile for sharing this beer. Served in a snifter. Good name; bad beer. That’s the gist of it. Pours a fairly clear orange color with a thin white head and a thin collar throughout. Smells like earth and old orange peel. Musty and kind of gross. A bit of garbage. It smells just a touch, just a tad of garbage can. Maybe old fruit? I don’t like it. The flavor is similar and not an improvement. More fruit there, but odd. Very odd. Moldy clementine peel. This is quite bad. I’m sorry.