Flying Dog Chocolate Fever Chocolate IPA

RATINGS: 4   MEAN: 3.67/5.0   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.11/5   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 219   ABV: 7.3%
Ale brewed with real chocolate.

A culinary collaboration with The Perfect Truffle.

Most RecentTicked By

dbarnold (1127) - Bethesda, Maryland, USA - JUN 11, 2012
Thought this was a pretty strong IPA...no real chocolate to it, but who cares. Thin, bitter and hoppy with a crisp clean finish. I liked it a lot, and it’s much more drinkable than the snake bite, their normal IPA offering.

jcos (1851) - Maryland, USA - JUN 11, 2012
Bottle at SAVOR 2012. Pours golden like an IPA. Chocolate in the aroma but faint, and in the start of the taste. IPA wise nice amount of bitterness. Interesting mix that I enjoyed, surprised they aren’t selling it. Maybe rebrand the name to not expect so much chocolate, or brewing takes too much chocolate to make it worthwhile?

radagast83 (8301) - Arlington, Virginia, USA - JUN 10, 2012
Poured from a bottle at SAVOR. Poured a lot lighter than I expected - almost like an amber IPA - yes, this was the right bottle (there was only one left for the night after I left the table). Aroma is mostly hops, malts, perhaps a touch of chocolate (but it could have been my imagination). Flavor was mostly like what you’d find from a regular India/pale ale, with perhaps a little bitterness - probably from the real chocolate they apparently added.

pras (602) - Maryland, USA - JUN 9, 2012
UPDATED: JUL 24, 2012 Good solid IPA. Clear straw yellow appearance. Not much discernable on the aroma. To start off, I have had a few bottles of this beer, and it really hit me this time. I got a touch of dark chocolate, almost a bitter coco at the beginning of this beer. This beer has a bitterness that I haven’t tasted before. It is a sharp bitterness but very nice. It finishes extra dry and is very nice. It’s unfortunate that this beer isn’t hitting the shelves because even though the chocolate isn’t that discernible it is a great IPA. If you can somehow get your hands on a bottle, try it and savor it. I will ration out my remaining bottles for sure.