overall
Serve in Snifter, Tulip

RATINGS: 1736   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.76/5   IBU: 85   EST. CALORIES: 345   ABV: 11.5%
Double Dog Double Pale Ale Back by popular demand, our original "Wild Dog Release" is back, and this time it’s for good. Double Dog Double Pale Ale is a generously hopped ale with a deep red color and pours with a nice frothy head. The abundance of hops will conjure some provocative aromas with hints of raisins and citrus.

RiverHorse (457) - New Jersey, USA - APR 30, 2007
UPDATED: OCT 3, 2007 Pours a medium hazy amber color with a nice foamy off white head. The lacing wasn’t as much as I expected. The smell was hops and citrus. I tasted grapefruit, citrus and a great deal of bitterness. The hop and malt was nicely balanced. This is a top notch ASA, I am very impressed.

theshocker (329) - Marietta, Georgia, USA - APR 30, 2007
Should be a DIPA. Yeast haze, light tan with hints of orange, small tan head. Little too yeasty, not liking the appearance. Citrus and floral nose, very inviting, picking up steam. Bitter, tart, earthy, citrus, apple, grapefruit flavors. Not much alcohol, just a little burn and sourness in the finish. A complex and interesting beer. I’ll probably buy again next year.

fordest (2470) - Santee/San Diego, California, USA - APR 30, 2007
UPDATED: MAY 2, 2007 12 oz bottle. Lots of citrus and fruit hop aromas off this deep orangey gold pour with a very creamy tight head that lasted the whole glass. Excellent lacing as well. Flavors were more hops with a very nice malt backing. Very IIPA like. Full mouth feel. Very good beer.

Illini08 (542) - Raleigh, North Carolina, USA - APR 29, 2007
Bought a 4-pack of this for my dad and took one for myself. Thanks dad! Dark copper color, no real head. HUGE hop aroma, tons of malt as well. Flavor is the same. You better be a hop-head if you’re drinking this one because they are strong!. Lots of malt to back it up though. Very well balanced ASA. I’d been looking for this one for a long time and it didn’t disappoint when I finally got to try it.

barleyPops (1142) - Quad-Cities, Illinois, USA - APR 28, 2007
I may have just found a new favorite. has the uber hops of an IIPA, the strong malt profile of a BW and a well hidden big alcohol presence of an Amer. Strong Ale all nicely blended into one 12 oz. offering. what more could a person ask for? well done Flying Dog, I think I’ll have another.

incutrav (577) - Woodbury, Minnesota, USA - APR 27, 2007
UPDATED: JAN 3, 2008 Really big fan of this. Lots of hop flavor, not overally sweet like many DIPA’s. Alchol is hidden well...unless yo let it get a little warm, then....whoa! One of my new favs for sure...to bad its tough to get round these parts....

Glazed9884 (207) - USA - APR 26, 2007
Pours a nice Mahogany if you will, deep amber if you wanna be a d*** about it. I drank a 22oz stone imperial russian stout and then this, and it got me toasty so it has that going for it. Actually very good beer. Aroma is a piny hops. Piney? piny? Has a nice hops character, not too much of an alcohol burn considering its 10.5% although you do know its there. Nice strong hops flavor, piny flavor to it. Like I said, you do know the alcohol is there, you cant taste it... but it doesn’t burn so I’m happy. Marginally cool bottle although no tribute to Hunter S. Thompson. Anyway, all in all I would say this is a quality brew and I’d be glad to get toasty off of it anytime.

HogTownHarry (7064) - Toronto (Harbourfront), Ontario, CANADA - APR 24, 2007
Bottle (12oz). As Double Dog. Deep clear burnt copper colour, fluffy off-white lasting head, plenty of sticky lace. From a distance (arm’s length) I got bready yeast, sweet malt and alcohol ... up close it’s lush citrus/resin hops, alcohol and sweet toasty malt. The taste is reasonably strong, booze and resin/lemon pitch bitter hops, malt decidedly in the background - very warming. Average, almost creamy body, alcoholic and astringent, quick finish but a long bitter bite-into-a-grapefruit aftertaste. Excellent, really - my ears are really tingling.

Jwasciuk (198) - Lowell, Michigan, USA - APR 24, 2007
Pours flat dark amber with a creamy off-white head. Aroma is of toasted malts, grapefruit hopps and yeast esters of grape, cherry and a bit peppery. Flavor is heavily bitter and hoppy and gets sweeter in the finish which is long. Medium bodied creamy and livley.

dmac (6429) - Toms River, New Jersey, USA - APR 23, 2007
12 oz bottle and the best Flying Dog to date. Poured a nice amber color with an average size off white head with a slight bit of visible carbonation. Aroma is piney hops and that was all that was coming through although it wasn’t to overpowering. Flavor was a real suprise with some initial malt followed loads and loads of flavorful hops. This is one fine beer that I will be buying again. (I agree with several other RBerians that this seems more like a IIPA then a double pale ale but hey what do I know I’m a Minnesota Vikings fanatic and I live in NJ)