Flying Dog Imperial IPA - Centennial Single Hop

overall

RATINGS: 98   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.57/5   SEASONAL: Special   IBU: 70   EST. CALORIES: 300   ABV: 10%
On the brink of extinction, they were plucked from obscurity and thrown into the spotlight. Facing ignorance and disinterest, someone saw potential...and knew they would be big. We’re not dishing on the latest undeserving Hollywood celebutante counting down their 15 minutes. We’re talking about the big, bold, and beautiful Centennial hops. With huge floral and citrus notes, these high alpha hops are one of the the industry’s few triple threats. They can be used for bittering, aroma, and flavor, which make them perfect for our latest Single Hop Imperial IPA.

Iphonephan (7281) - Jackson Hole/McLean, Virginia, USA - DEC 8, 2012
From a 12 oz bottle shared at home. Pours a clear gold with a white head. Citrus and pine nose. Spruce and grapefruit up front finishing off with a bitter alfalfa note.

dbarnold (1127) - Bethesda, Maryland, USA - NOV 8, 2012
Thanks for Phil, got this a day after bottling. FRESH! I don’t know that I’ve had anything this piney in my life accept for when I got sap stuck on my fingers as a kid. Very bitter and palate wrecking up front. Palate manages to stay thin and not to sweet which at 10% is a miracle. Finish is bitter and quick. A bruiser, but a well executed one.

pras (602) - Maryland, USA - SEP 15, 2012
UPDATED: NOV 7, 2012 Agree with below. Tasted again tonight at the brewery. The nose on this one is off the chain. read the rest from below. Love this beer. Completely from memory. Got a growler of this stuff directly from the brewery back when they were still allowed to fill them (we gotta work on getting that changed!) This was one of my favorites in the single hop IIPA series. Full of hop goodness and nicely balanced. As I remember I didn’t think the high alcohol content really came through and it was an easy drink.

Cool_Bond (2795) - KUNG_AV_OL @ Instagram, SWEDEN - JUL 24, 2012
Very strong odor and also very strong flavor. One of them clearly the best beer I ever drank. Good taste and air and does not make me disappointed. 10% makes no difference.

Lilja (3489) - Malmö, SWEDEN - JUL 21, 2012
Väldigt god. Smak och doft av tropisk frukt, banan, örtig. Välbalanserad, torr, frisk och fruktig med en markant grapebeska. Enda minuset är att alkoholen slår igenom en aning.

EvanFriend (632) - Pennsylvania, USA - JUL 15, 2012
Pine, floral, citrus from the hops and maybe some dried fruit , somewhat thin on the palate and with a slight alcoholic warming afterwards. I’ve had better double IPAs.

anders37 (27047) - Malmö, SWEDEN - MAY 3, 2012
Bottle. Pours a golden color with a small white head. Has a fruity piey hoppy aroma. Fruity malty hoppy bitter piney flavor. Has a fruity malty hoppy piney bitter grapefruit finish with hints of caramel.

Pinball (12310) - Copenhagen, DENMARK - APR 26, 2012
clear dark yellow, smooth small white head. aroma is quite hoppy bitter, flavor is hoppy, flowery,bitter hoppy,booze works well.

Ungstrup (38384) - Citizen of the universe, DENMARK - APR 26, 2012
Bottled. A hazy amber beer with a yellowish head. The aroma has notes of lemons, hay, caramel, and malt. The flavor is sweet with notes of malt, lemons, hay, and alcohol, leading to a bitter finish.

madsberg (11776) - Søborg, DENMARK - APR 26, 2012
Bottled. Golden coloured. Unclear. Dense off white head. ARoma of caramel, herbs, some flowers, spice. Flavour of sweetness, caramel, some grape, spice and flowers. Medium to full bodied. ends on a heavy bitterness.