Flying Dog In-Heat Wheat Hefeweizen

overall
Serve in Weizen

RATINGS: 1394   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.97/5   IBU: 12   EST. CALORIES: 141   ABV: 4.7%
Brewed in the centuries old tradition of German beers, our brewers use more wheat and proprietary yeast to give it the unmistakable character of a flavorful, authentic Hefeweizen. The High proportion of wheat gives In Heat its smooth, full-mouth feel and our special yeast gives it its unique fruity and spicy aroma.

jdog76 (85) - madison, Wisconsin, USA - FEB 20, 2004
I was not very impressed by this one. It had the traditional banana and citus flavor. But it was weak and watery.

MtStateBeer (84) - Hurricane, West Virginia, USA - DEC 6, 2009
12 oz. bottle. Pours a a clear a yellow golden color with a small, quickly diminishing frothy white head, no lacing. Aroma is sweet malts, wheat, bananas, bread, and lemons. Flavor is wheat, bananas, yeast, cloves, and some spiciness at the end. Mouthfeel is light, watery, and a little fizzy. Kind of boring beer, but wouldn’t be bad on a hot day.

mouse725 (83) - Albany, New York, USA - APR 4, 2009
One of the best from Flying Dog, IMO. I like the fruity sweetness it offers, and agree it tastes more Belgian at first than typical Hefeweizen. A good summer brew.

william146 (80) - Winterville, North Carolina, USA - JAN 18, 2010
Purchased at The Fresh Market, Greenville, NC Hazy with a full head and sweet smell. A bit too fruity/zesty for my taste, although that’s probably true to the style of beer. Not my favorite.

eggraid101 (79) - Virginia, USA - APR 16, 2015
It's a fine hefe. Not super interesting burnt can see a lot of people liking it ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

kingfiogojr (78) - Baltimore, Maryland, USA - MAR 24, 2006
I really enjoyed this hefeweizen. The artwork was great, and the flavor did it for me as well. Very wheaty, unfiltered, but tasted excellent. Not very bitter...but is a hefeweizen supposed to be? I got drunk off of these with some friends and suffered no hangover. It was cool man. Cool.

jodyperkins (78) - Mississippi, USA - APR 7, 2007
In all fairness, this is the first wheat beer I’ve had - and it may be the last. Poured from a bottle (from aFlying Dog Sampler 12 pack). Poured a very cloudy, golden color. Lots of carbonation but little head. It smelled like rotting hay and tasted worse. Has a very strange taste and a sour aftertaste. I can’t describe the way it feels in the mouth but I didn’t enjoy it. After a few swallows this was poured into the sink. I hope it doesn’t kill the bacteria in my septic tank.

dominion (78) - charlotte, North Carolina, USA - FEB 13, 2003
Good summer beer, had it with a small slice of lemon and the beer itself has a lemon zest to it. Not an everyday beer but good in the summer

SchlossyMcSaus (75) - San Marcos, California, USA - MAR 30, 2002
Man, why make a middle of the road wheat like this? It claims to step up to the plate, ’in the tradition of German hefes’, C’mon. If your gonna pay for a heffe premium, reach for the Paulaner, the Aventinus, the Schneider, and thats the stuff. It has some citrusy flavors, the usual action, didn’t hold a head too long, and let’s you toss in the goody at the bottom, but don’t hold this up as a shining example of the form, let me down a little.

jjw2000 (72) - USA - APR 3, 2003
UPDATED: APR 22, 2003 Liked this even less than the FD pale ale. With the added fruit flavor, the spice taste stands out even more unpleasantly.