Flying Dog In-Heat Wheat Hefeweizen

overall
Serve in Weizen

RATINGS: 1367   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.97/5   IBU: 12   EST. CALORIES: 141   ABV: 4.7%
Brewed in the centuries old tradition of German beers, our brewers use more wheat and proprietary yeast to give it the unmistakable character of a flavorful, authentic Hefeweizen. The High proportion of wheat gives In Heat its smooth, full-mouth feel and our special yeast gives it its unique fruity and spicy aroma.

mouse725 (83) - Albany, New York, USA - APR 4, 2009
One of the best from Flying Dog, IMO. I like the fruity sweetness it offers, and agree it tastes more Belgian at first than typical Hefeweizen. A good summer brew.

william146 (80) - Winterville, North Carolina, USA - JAN 18, 2010
Purchased at The Fresh Market, Greenville, NC Hazy with a full head and sweet smell. A bit too fruity/zesty for my taste, although that’s probably true to the style of beer. Not my favorite.

eggraid101 (80) - Virginia, USA - APR 16, 2015
It's a fine hefe. Not super interesting burnt can see a lot of people liking it ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

bvbunited (79) - Ohio, USA - MAR 6, 2016
This is a good wheat beer with a nice balance of hops with a taste of yeast. I enjoyed this beer and would recommend it.

dominion (78) - charlotte, North Carolina, USA - FEB 13, 2003
Good summer beer, had it with a small slice of lemon and the beer itself has a lemon zest to it. Not an everyday beer but good in the summer

kingfiogojr (78) - Baltimore, Maryland, USA - MAR 24, 2006
I really enjoyed this hefeweizen. The artwork was great, and the flavor did it for me as well. Very wheaty, unfiltered, but tasted excellent. Not very bitter...but is a hefeweizen supposed to be? I got drunk off of these with some friends and suffered no hangover. It was cool man. Cool.

jodyperkins (78) - Mississippi, USA - APR 7, 2007
In all fairness, this is the first wheat beer I’ve had - and it may be the last. Poured from a bottle (from aFlying Dog Sampler 12 pack). Poured a very cloudy, golden color. Lots of carbonation but little head. It smelled like rotting hay and tasted worse. Has a very strange taste and a sour aftertaste. I can’t describe the way it feels in the mouth but I didn’t enjoy it. After a few swallows this was poured into the sink. I hope it doesn’t kill the bacteria in my septic tank.

donovan1983 (76) - San Antonio, Texas, USA - OCT 26, 2007
Bottle. Poured a clearer than expected pale yellow gold, with a white head. Aroma is rather weak, with the expected banana, clove, and wheat. Flavour follows the aroma, just a standard hefeweisen. Except rather watered-down tasting. And the clove flavour could be toned a bit as it overpowers the weaker banana and wheat flavours. If anything, the finish is rather clean, and is rather quick. Mouthfeel is thin, much thinner than it should be for a hefe. Not an awful beer, just not a very good beer either. It’s only real redeeming quality is that it is easy to drink.

SchlossyMcSaus (75) - San Marcos, California, USA - MAR 30, 2002
Man, why make a middle of the road wheat like this? It claims to step up to the plate, 'in the tradition of German hefes', C'mon. If your gonna pay for a heffe premium, reach for the Paulaner, the Aventinus, the Schneider, and thats the stuff. It has some citrusy flavors, the usual action, didn't hold a head too long, and let's you toss in the goody at the bottom, but don't hold this up as a shining example of the form, let me down a little.