overall
RATINGS: 1024   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.21/5   IBU: 34   EST. CALORIES: 222   ABV: 7.4%
English Strong Ale with a malty taste, unique and different, a true Flying Dog original.

KiDAcE (35) - Canton, Ohio, USA - MAR 20, 2007
One great brew to try and buy. I don’t know what I was expecting from this. Maybe something like the other Barley Wine I tried. It was not like it at all. It was better......way better. This is a highly drinkable brew. Very smooth on all fronts. Well balanced and time was taken to craft this. I couldn’t tell by the packaging the ABV% but it’s smoothness led me to believe it was around 7-8% when it’s 10.5%.....definitely unexpected. It’s either that or I don’t know the rule to Barley Wines. A great brown/red depending light angle.....also a strong hint of barley and malts with some fruit? Hops are non-existent in flavor but present in effect...I think. The head is light brown to tan/white and medium. Pretty bubbly and thick. Very nice on all edges and beats the other Barley Wine (ale style) on my list hands down! A great trick to pull on someone who likes a certain %ABV by prejudice and not taste as the % is not labled anywhere on box or bottle label so maybe this is the brew to get others to like the ’micros’. Not trying but I found another 5 for my list of brews....also a great buy for the price!

Anshlar (4) - ITALY - MAY 25, 2011 does not count
Best winter ale i’ve ever tasted. Malty aroma, Red appearance. Sweet-sour taste. Best flying dog’s product.

thebeertourist (5189) - Oslo, NORWAY - JUL 7, 2006
Bottle at The White Horse, Parson’s Green. Chestnut brown with a very small head, that is nonetheless quite stable. Sweet aroma of raisins and dried fruits. Flavours are cellar-like and surprisingly dry finish; raisins and dark fruit throughout, yet also very good bitterness. Full-bodied and rather soft. An explosion of flavours, yet still harmonious. A masterpiece of a beer.

TheBeerCollector (633) - Woodstock, Georgia, USA - JUN 9, 2002
Deep amber color. Wonderful aroma and flavor. This is definately one of my new favorite beers.

ChrisPants (317) - Minneapolis, Minnesota, USA - MAR 4, 2005
Impressive, big time, considering my expectations. Deep dark ruby rad, damn near black. Flavor sweet caramel, perfectly balanced hops, hint of vanilla, sour cherries. Palate is smooth but a touch malty. Aftertaste frutiy, sweet, again with the perfect hop balance. Very nice.

OwainTurner (425) - Leicester, Bedfordshire, ENGLAND - OCT 11, 2013
Bottle at Criterion, Leicester. Lovely red beer, aroma of berries and spice, beautiful. Beautifully oily in the mouth. Very nice indeed