overall

RATINGS: 783   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.48/5   IBU: 35   EST. CALORIES: 165   ABV: 5.5%
Pearl Necklace is brewed with local Rappahannock River Oysters and is the perfect compliment to everyone’s favorite aphrodisiac - whether they are grilled, fried, stuffed, or raw.

Specialty Malts: Roasted Barley, Midnight Wheat, Cara-Pils, Black
Hops: Perle
Yeast: English Ale

DrnkMcDermott's rating

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 12/20
DrnkMcDermott (3176) - Downers Grove, Illinois, USA - JUL 27, 2012
Single from a build-a-sixpack rack at Binny’s. Good. One may be all I want to try. Cause I have a deal with the invertebrates: I don’t eat them whole, and they don’t send giant octopi to drag me into the see. Think I’m joking? You haven’t heard the stories we were told when I worked at the Shedd Aquarium. Anyway: Looks properly stoutish in the glass, opaque black with a tan head that bubbles away quickly. Smell is mostly coffee roast malt, but not too bitter. Taste is… well, I’m not spitting it out, that’s for sure. It’s a fine stout with some slight coffee bitterness. A little "pepper" which might just as well have come from a British hop bill (I think). I suppose the most noted effects of brewing with oysters might be a bit of hard water from calcium in the shells. Again, I’m just trying to coagulate vague impressions against my preconceived idea of what oysters in beer would taste. But no mistake, this is very good. Wonder what we here in the shadow of Lake Michigan could do with zebra mussels?

romib (5) - - JAN 10, 2018 does not count
UPDATED: JAN 10, 2018 Nice full chocolate / coffee aroma. Gently carbonated, quite high foam, short lasting. Based on the smell I would expect full body with nice rounded coffee taste , however seems a bit like a big americano coffee. I taste the oysters very gently, the soft salt as a first taste impressions is nice. A bit of bitterness, not too much, makes this beer interesting.

CanCrusher (1178) - Ilirska Bistrica, SLOVENIA - DEC 21, 2017
Bottle 0,355L. Very dark, ruby brown color with finger of creamy, light brown head. Aroma of sweet coffee, tobacco and oyster, I guess, as it's brewed with oysters. Taste is light bitter with caramel, coffee and wood. Medium body, creamy texture, lively carbonation.

Drago7 (983) - Warsaw, POLAND - DEC 16, 2017
Zapach: dziwny. Taki jakby ciastowy, aksamitny. Z nutą czerwonych owoców i lekka słodyczą. Smak: czekoladowe, palone. Posmak słodki ciastkowy. Light Body. Delikatna goryczka, ale fajna…. Posmak poza tym palony. Aksamitne.

simontomlinson (673) - Blackburn, Lancashire, ENGLAND - NOV 19, 2017
Fluffy beige head left a thin cover on dark brown still body. Big malty aroma with dark chocolate, dark fruit & dark spirits. Medium to thin bodied. Crisp & clean on the palate. Very dry. Bitter pithy tastes with malt, berries, under ripe fruit & plum skins. Slightly smoky on the aft.

Cakes (498) - New Bloomfield, Pennsylvania, USA - NOV 14, 2017
12oz bottle. Pours dark brown, almost black with a light tan head. A very good stout, but I was trying to taste the oysters. ZI only got a slight sense of them. More noticeable were the coffee notes and nutty roasted malt flavors.

Jabah (559) - Bethesda, Maryland, USA - OCT 29, 2017
Oyster stouts are rare in FL, so they come more from the Northeast or mid-Atlantic. I find that they add sweetness...maybe some to the texture. This one leans towards the sweet side. Has that macro feel. Decent beer though and worth the try. Probably better on draft.

BillKismet (4165) - Seattle, Washington, USA - OCT 27, 2017
Deep brown-black, ok head. Nose of roast chocolate and cookie dough and some sea air. Roasty chocolate and dark malt body, sea water, and some cookie dough sweetness. Rich and full-bodied.

ryanscourt (1567) - Latrobe, Pennsylvania, USA - OCT 21, 2017
Sugar and choclate aroma. Medium body. Finishes with sweet choclate flavorand lingering malt.

Grumbo (4255) - Ipswich, Suffolk, ENGLAND - AUG 23, 2017
Bottle, UK import, source not recorded. Backlog entry. Entering my historic scores for US beers whilst visiting New York. No tasting notes kept, just rating.

Jultsu (1292) - TAMPERE, FINLAND - AUG 15, 2017
BBE 13.09.17. Semikokoinen vaahto, nopea, hutera. Tuoksu kuivakan tuhkaisa. Suutuntuma niljakas, palaneehkon yläpään omaava semivetinen runko, nopea, hapokas. Limaisa jälkifiilis. Simppeli, ei virhemakuja, ihan ok.