Flying Dog Road Dog Porter

Formerly brewed at Flying Dog Brewery
Style: Porter
Frederick, Maryland USA

RATINGS: 1279   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.14/5   IBU: 31   EST. CALORIES: 180   ABV: 6%
Road Dog was the first label Ralph Steadman designed which later inspired Hunter S. Thompson’s "Road Dog" essay. We then spent four years fighting for the right to display their now famous quote "Good Beer No Shit." To make a long story short, we won. Let us hoist a pint to free speech, NO CENSORSHIP, the genius of Ralph Steadman, and the Gonzo Spirit of Hunter S. Thompson!

BeerNazi (169) - winnetka, California, USA - MAR 22, 2002
scottish ale? this is not scottish ale, this gives the good scot beers a bad name.

Aubrey (3516) - Bellingham, Washington, USA - MAR 14, 2002
Grainy nose, frothy head, dark mahogany color. Flavor is dark and fairly heavy. A hollow smokiness seems to come through mostly. 'Good beer... no shit' on the bottle. Mmmh? I like how they used the word shit. Not to say this beer is shit though, I just like how they used the word shit on the bottle; that was cool. But I don't really like the beer too much. It's as if it's 'haulin' ass with no place to go.' Very good intentions, but somewhat misdirected. Malts are complex, but unbalanced and all over the place. Alcohol flavors come through in waves. Smoke flourishes like an untamed fire. That's all. Oh, and I actually kinda like the labels... but I'm an abstract artist myself.

labattblueleaf (225) - Grand Rapids, Michigan, USA - MAR 10, 2002
Hated it. Two thumbs down and a middle finger up the sphincter. Dark and scottish..........You don't see many black Scotsmen so they shouldn't mix them in beer either.

TheRavishingOne (45) - Cumming, Georgia, USA - FEB 25, 2002
UPDATED: AUG 30, 2003 I was afraid of the dark side, and then came this beer. I sipped it, and it wasn't bad. Then I took in a large gulp. It was the exact opposite of how I thought a dark beer should/would taste. It lacked the bitterness I had expected and satisfied me in every conceivable way. However, it doesn't smell that great.

Pablo McStouthead (69) - L.A, California, USA - FEB 21, 2002
Bland. Thin body. Has the cheap 'American' tinge. Still, nice underlying raisiny maltiness like a bock.

Drew (2411) - Kent, Ohio, USA - FEB 12, 2002
the label describes it as a Scottish Porter - i think it is really neither. It is malty, smoky, dark, tasty. it is also a bit but in the end. very nice.

Oakes (18543) - Vancouver, British Columbia, CANADA - DEC 18, 2001
Mahogany colour; aroma of smoke, cascades, hint of iron; thin body - a little acidic even; metallic, mellowed malts (a little toasted caramel, whole grain bread), cascades...what precisely is the brewer trying to get at here?

delacerveza (166) - Florida, USA - NOV 13, 2001
really liked the smokey sweetness --GO malt, GO malt!-- that said, still a bit more bitter than what i normally go for; but quite an interesting flavor.

VENOM (941) - Connecticut, USA - NOV 12, 2001
Chocolate and light peat smokiness. Lighter body than expected but a nice blend of porter and scotch ales flavors.

mikenodak (150) - Fargo, North Dakota, USA - OCT 17, 2001
bittersweet, chocolate, tastes like a combination of porter and scottish ale - not a great beer, but enjoyable, with some complexity