overall
RATINGS: 641   WEIGHTED AVG: 4/5   IBU: 85   EST. CALORIES: 300   ABV: 10%
A cocoa infused Imperial Stout – Opaque black in color with a dark brown head. Big chocolate aroma with notes of espresso, blackstrap molasses, dark sweet toffee and dark fruit. Smooth dark chocolate backbone with complex notes of coffee, dark toffee and dark fruit.

OldGrowth (3474) - the Containment Area, North Carolina, USA - FEB 19, 2007
Pint, at Tyler’s Durham during pint glass night. Good aroma, though not as strong as I was anticipating, Cocoa, little dirt, coffee, minor fruitiness. Brownish black color, good, cocoa brown head that slowly faded, good lace. Bittersweet flavor, Like aroma though it becomes more baking chocolate than cocoa, bitterness is a tad harsh, Thick body, oily smooth mouthfeel, bitter dry, tad hot, finish. VERY tasty. Jamie, the brewer, showed me a video on his cell phone of the bags of cocoa nibs they used to makes this, way cool. Wonderful brew for St. Valentines. Big chocolaty stout, one that any Impy stout lover will love. Great one to roll on the tongue. As good as chocolate flavor as I’ve had.

NachlamSie (3534) - Denver, Colorado, USA - FEB 19, 2007
UPDATED: MAR 7, 2008 I have an affinity for imperial stouts and folks, this is a seriously good beer. I ordered this brew and I was presented an extra black liquid in a snifter. This is one of those seriously black beers. Against the setting sun through the window, I could pick out shades of brown besides the brown head that slowly fizzled away. Taking a sniff floods my olfactory sense with straight up roasty espresso scents. Also I detect some wood and cherry in the mix. The mouthfeel is thick, slick, and silky with a certain viscosity. Carbonation is low. More deep notes of bittersweet espresso in the flavor hit my palate along with brighter suggestions of hickory buried underneath a flood of dark mocha. The finish is syrupy and the chocolate becomes more assertive, though never crossing into an excessively sweet territory. Actually, it’s the most appropriate level of chocolate possible before becoming even slightly cloying. Nutty and bitter espresso is the main focus here, making it a truly satisfying imperial stout. The hearty chocolate presence is just a satisfying bonus. I was completely blown away, and just to be certain my first impression was accurate, I went upstairs and ordered another one. It was just as beautiful. I thought about pretending to shed a tear when I finished the second glass.
[Feb 18, 2008]
Draught at the brewpub: This is a black beer. Yes, very black. Having Expedition fresh on my mind from the day prior, I found many similarities between these two behemoths. The excellently done roasty, espresso character is the strongest, most appealing common trait. What sets Sexual Chocolate apart, however, is just that: the chocolate. It creates a wonderful foundation for the dense, bittersweet onslaught of the palate, but never is sugary or overdone. The palate is creamy and very heavy. I had two glasses. What a good morning.
[March 2, 2008] On tap at Barley’s: pours black with a small brown head. I get thick, rich dark chocolate in the nose along with huge amounts of roasty espresso and molasses. Thick mouthfeel floats hints of soy sauce, coconut milk, and a blast of dark chocolate covered espresso beans. Tremendous imperial stout.

Bailz316 (256) - North Carolina, USA - FEB 17, 2007
Black pour with minimal tan head. Aroma of coffee, chocolate. Milky and malty. Chewey. Full bodied. Alcohol masked very well. Foothills best so far.

TURDFERGUSON (4058) - Durham, North Carolina, USA - FEB 14, 2007
UPDATED: AUG 16, 2011 On tap at Tyler’s in Carrboro. Pours a deep brown with a small tannish yellow head. I tasted before I smelled. Big gulp. Dark chocolate boozy milkshake. Stuck my nose in, though a little too cold still, got some nice notes of dark chocolate and coffee. Very boozy. As it warmed, the nose grew more interesting, and developed on my palate. Silky smooth body and a sure pleasure to drink. I want a growler too!!! **********Had a couple more pours. this beer is growing on me. Gotta bump it up a couple more points from my original rating.

Magjayran (1378) - Durham, North Carolina, USA - FEB 14, 2007
Bang! BANG BANG BANG!!! I just finished off my growler full that was delivered earlier by the guy that delivers the Foothills to me. BAM! It’s all black and oily looking like an Impy Stout should be. SMACK!!! It smells like mocha espresso. BLAMO!!!!! The taste is full of slightly overdone coffee beans and dark chocolate with an extra kick of awesome juice added during secondary fermentation. THWAPALAMADINGDONG!!! This mugfucker ain’t too highly carbonated and has a creamy mouthfeel. BAMBOOZALEEDOOZER!!!!!� This sucker is downright chewy as well. Like I could almost chew it. Chewylike. MOCHAFRAPERGASTED!!!! I noticed the 10% ABV in the finish and it made me wish that I was able to have real bottles of this that were ageable as I am sure that a year and half old version would taste like perfection. SLAMBAMHOTDAMN!!!!! This was a damn good beer from the boys that work at that one particular brewery from Winston-Salem North Carolina USA!!!

NicerInPerson (337) - North of Raleigh, North Carolina, USA - FEB 13, 2007
UPDATED: FEB 14, 2007 A dazzling display of strong espresso coffee with a nice estery fruit contribution of raisin and prunes. The beer was pitch black with a low well lasting head which lasted to lace the gulden draak chalice the beer was served in. The flavor was strong espresso coffee, chocolate, milky and dark, with a fruity presence that hinted of dark dried cherries. Some alcohol presence was notable in the flavor, but overall it was restrained. The body was full, but not viscous, and had a creamy texture on the palate. A darn nice beer, some alcohol throughout, but mostly smooth and devoid of harshness. A dangerous brew at 10% ABV and being that smooth. Pint at Flying Saucer in Charlotte.