RATINGS: 228   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.21/5   IBU: 35   EST. CALORIES: 159   ABV: 5.3%
A well-structured Czech style pilsner. TORCH is strong in alcohol with a rich,full finish. Good mouth feel and well-balanced Czech Saaz hops ensure that TORCH is not your typical pilsner. Color: 5 Lovibond;IBU:35

00cobraR (1103) - Greensboro, North Carolina, USA - MAR 19, 2006
Not a pilsner fan first off, but this one was not too bad. Flavor was slightly hoppy as was the aroma.

ross (2146) - weddington, North Carolina, USA - MAR 18, 2006
Golden hay color, white head. Rather bland and not really that impressive. Taste is somehwat malty, a little hoppy, but all in all, this was the worst one on my sample tray.

grat (432) - ST. Louis, Missouri, USA - MAR 3, 2006
I wasn’t expecting much from this beer and I was wrong...even though my score is 3.3. Clean golden straw colored beer. No head. Nose is more like a german pilsner than a Czech one. Lots of doughy subtle malt goodness with an apparent though unpronounced hop flower smell. Not skunky enough to be full on German though. Sugary light malts and cholorphyl-like green hops bitterness. Flavors dazzle. The malts are biscuit bready. Like a sugar cookie covered in hops. Well done with the malts. The sweet edge finishes quickly with a sharp yeasty tang that is lager-like clean with a millky edge. Hops undergird this tang and draw the beer into the finish. All in all a pilsner I would drink frequently.

Bigsilky (327) - Charleston, USA - FEB 21, 2006
UPDATED: MAR 1, 2007 A little thin for my taste. Maybe if this beer wasn’t filtered, or maybe we need a little more quality grain in the grist bill. Nice hop though, certainly claims Saaz. I think this is a wonderful way to get your buddy to put down the Miller, but I really want a little more backbone in the malt department. Well balanced and crisp. To re-rate, this beer is very nice. I can’t for summer to show off the spicy hop flavor. This second tasting was done at the brewery, so maybe I ran into a dirty tapline earlier.

freekyp (2408) - Thomasville, North Carolina, USA - FEB 5, 2006
UPDATED: OCT 27, 2016 On tap at Foothills brewpub. A solid Pilsner. More cereal malt character than most, and a nice grassy bready and lightly floral aroma. Bitterness is forward. Light bodied but flavorful and very clean.

GeneralGao (3614) - Iowa City, Iowa, USA - JAN 15, 2006
Draught at the brewpub. Clear golden color with thin tan head. Hop nose is a bit more prominent than most pilsners, bu this brewpub seems to like the hops, so it fits. Crisp finish, slightly sweet.

Suttree (6504) - Knoxville, Tennessee, USA - JAN 2, 2006
Draft at Asheville Pizza and beer as a guest - Orangey yellow, with a thin tan head. Spicy, savory aroma. Flavor is very Europoean, if you know what I mean. Very clean palate, with a hint of, I gonna call it pretzels. Some notes of pine in the finish.

masedawg (156) - Statesville, North Carolina, USA - NOV 19, 2005
Clear, yellow beer with a small white head. Sort of sweet for a pilsner. Doesn’t leave much of a finish. I am not a huge fan.

DrBayern (1140) - Morehead City, North Carolina, USA - NOV 12, 2005
At the brewery. Clear gold, medium white head. Light grassy aroma. Nice mouthfeel, but sweet malt flavors a little much for a Pilsner. Floral hops quite noticeable, leading to a basically dry finish, although with some lingering sweetness. Not quite as clean tasting as I prefer in a Pilsner.

Scubatrip (610) - Annandale, Virginia, USA - SEP 6, 2005
On tap at the brew pub, the pilsner pours a clear, light gold with a bubbly head. Aroma of yeast and tastes of grassy hops, alcohol, and light bitter spices. Smooth, but definitely carbonated mouthfeel. I really liked this one.