Fort Collins Major Tom’s Pomegranate Wheat

overall
Serve in Flute, Shaker

RATINGS: 366   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.79/5   SEASONAL: Summer   EST. CALORIES: 144   ABV: 4.8%
Ground Control to Major Tom. You’re cleared to try the most unique beer ever brewed. A nice, slightly sweet-tart Wheat Beer brewed with pomegranates. Excitingly different!

Nuffield (4171) - Roseville, Minnesota, USA - SEP 27, 2006
The points to make about this beer are simple and few: 1) "most unique beer ever brewed" is the kind of over-the-top and preposterous advertising that characterizes macro beers. It’s not even the only pomegranate beer out there, much less a super-unique style (it’s just a fruit beer...substitute any other fruit in its place). 2) The pomegranate is extremely light. I love poms, making them a regular part of my holidays and getting the juice whenever I can afford a splurge, but this provides a pale sense of the sourness and little reflection of the flavor. Many middle-of-the-road raspberry wheats knock the socks off this pomegranate wheat. 3) There are some nice attributes (large, soft head, great carbonation action) but it is also prone to a slightly limp body (moderately thick with a light-colored body but still not refreshingly bright). Just a concept beer, try once then move on.

SGTHibbert (100) - Perry, Iowa, USA - SEP 23, 2006
Nasty. This was one of the grossest beers I have ever had. Color was promising but the taste was just aweful. I had a hard time not spitting it out. Drain Pour.

MI2CA (1340) - Noblesville, Indiana, USA - AUG 29, 2006
12oz - Aroma is wet wheat, hay, and yeast with some maltiness in the back. Pours transparent yellow with a huge fluffy head and great lacing. Flavor is yeasty for a wheat beer with a tart snap that must be what they mean by pomegranate, I can honestly say I don’t know what that tastes like. Palate is crisp and refreshing. Not sure why this has such a bad overall rating. I find it different and tasty, although I admit I won’t be standing in line to buy more anytime soon. It would be interesting to have fresh on draft.

hopdog (12510) - Lansdale, Pennsylvania, USA - AUG 28, 2006
12oz bottle. Poured a medium and slighty hazy golden color with an averaged sized white head. Aromas of I guess pomegranate (I can’t place it and I don’t have too much experience with pomegranates) with some faint wheat in the background. Tastes of pretty much the same. Has a lighter tartness to it.

SledgeJr (3577) - Omaha, Nebraska, USA - AUG 6, 2006
In the bottle from HyVee Council Bluffs. Pours a dark gold with a thin white head. The aroma is fruity like musty mellons. Is this the aroma of pomegranate in beer? Has a very tart flavor at first and the tartness continues throughout the drink. There’s a complete lack of any citrus, but rather has a smooth mellon fruity flavor that emerges from the dominant tartness of the beer. A slight bittering finish exists.

Jabswitch (278) - Green Bay, Wisconsin, USA - JUL 11, 2006
Boy, I do not like this one. The smell seemed "off" to me. Could have just been this bottle. I’m glad I only bought a single of this stuff. The taste was a bit too sour. I really couldn’t pick up the flavor I was expecting and hoping to taste. I really didn’t find this one satisfying in any way except appearance. I agree right on with KIOKI182. I think he nailed it.

harlequinn (2744) - Tacoma, Washington, USA - JUL 4, 2006
This was definitely unique. Tart flavors mixed with an aroma of fresh toasted bread. Slightly yeasty and zesty, with some great fruit flavors from the namesake.

BückDich (5464) - McCall, Idaho, USA - JUL 4, 2006
Bottle: Hazy yellow/orange white head. Light lacing. Nose of smelt, tart musky rotten fruit and a glimpse of wheat and pomegranate notes. Tart spongy flavor, a bit of hops, boring tart, pass.

Magjayran (1378) - Durham, North Carolina, USA - JUN 23, 2006
I expected this one to suck more than it did. Clear yellow color with a fluffy white head and consistent lacing. Bready aroma with a distinctly tart hint of pomegranate. I don’t know if it’s the pomegranate but this is really unlike any wheat beer I’ve had. Very yeasty for the style and the hints of citrus clash greatly with the overly sweet pomegranate flavors. It’s interesting, it’s weird, it’s worth trying. I just noticed that I’m gonna be the 4th person in a row to give this beer exactly 3 out of 5. Strange.

GeneralGao (3614) - Iowa City, Iowa, USA - JUN 15, 2006
12 oz bottle. Clear golden color with bubbly white head that laced the glass. Malty, fruit juicy aroma with a light yeasty, bread dough accent. Tangy and sweet up front with a caramel malt flavor at the end. Interesting.