overall
RATINGS: 398   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.17/5   EST. CALORIES: 135   ABV: 4.5%
Z Lager is an exotic lager with a slight aromatic smoke flavor, perfect for any occasion. Slight caramel undertones and a bright amber color compliment Z’s prominent smoke flavors.

Eyedrinkale (3214) - Astoria, New York, USA - APR 16, 2005
12 oz bottle. Clear brownish orange with a smallish head. Aroma is light smoke which threw me off, cause I didn’t realize this was a smoked beer. Taste is light and sweet with some biscuit and orange, always with the light somkiness behind. Flavors blend well but for a smoked, I’d like some more smoke flavor.

JCapriotti (1379) - Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA - MAR 31, 2005
Deep copper body, dusty off-white head. Smokey beatles and smokey corn husk aroma. Tastes like a slightly smokey amber to me. Ok.

JPDIPSO (6223) - Wauwatosa, USA - MAR 30, 2005
Dark amber color with a thick bubbly beige head. Grain and malt aromas with just a hint of peat. MIld smoke and some light fruit mix. Medium body. Toffee and dark toast also come to mind. Seems like a smoked ale to me in that it is better when warm. But then the medicine does seem to show up. Not a bad effort.

Crosling (1864) - Fort Collins, Colorado, USA - MAR 30, 2005
Rich orange rust in color with a bubbly and fairly large head of light tan foam. Subtle, malty aroma with hints of caramel, cookie, toasted malt, floral hops and a hint of smoke. Caramel, toffee and biscuit-like malt in the mouth, along with a touch of smoked malt. A pleasant beginner Rauchbier.

Mangino (1027) - Mississippi, USA - MAR 29, 2005
Pours a dark amber color. No head. Aroma of slightly smoky malt. Smooth clean malty flavor, along with a little hop kick.

StewardofGondor (1934) - Washington Heights - Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA - MAR 28, 2005
Light, amber brown. Smells slightly earthy and of straw. Taste is bitter and thin - like apple cider vinegar. Smokey characteristics seem to resemble a barnyard bonfire: throw in a little hay, a few other odds and ends, and voila: Z Lager.

1FastSTi (3360) - Glendale, Wisconsin, USA - MAR 27, 2005
I had this at the Tosa tasting. Aroma: smoky, woody, chocolate, grain. Appearance: Copper color. Good lacing, thin, weak head. Flavor: smoky, vanilla, chocolate, sweet malts. Palate: Acedic, acidic, medium body, good carbonation.

TChrome (1472) - North Richland Hills, Texas, USA - MAR 19, 2005
Brew pours clear copper color with a nice big, fluffy off white head. Aroma is of bacon, wood, and barbecue. Flavor is right up there with the Schlenkerla’s from Germany. Profoundly smokey from start to finish. This is an excellent example of the style from a nice Colorado brewery. I will pick up a sixer of this next time I am in Boulder.

jigglyjock (165) - Longmont, Colorado, USA - FEB 4, 2005
UPDATED: JUL 10, 2006 Origan rate: 2.9
</br> Pours a translusent brown/orange with almost no head. Aroma of salty smoked meat! The tastes is smokey and taste almost like smoked ham or salmon. A unique flavor I have never tasted in a beer. Not my favorite but has unique characteristics.
</br> Rerate:7/10/06: 3
</br> Still has a odd sweet smoked ham nose. Starts out moderetly sweet, followed by a hints of soy sauce, ends with a hint of smokey ham. Nice robust mouthfeel for a lagar with a nicely carbonated body. Interesting enough to have one in a great while.

shadey (2135) - Nashville, Tennessee, USA - DEC 6, 2004
An orange amber pour with a soapy head that dissipates after a few minutes. I have to preface this rating by saying I am stupid and managed to freeze the beer while I was trying to chill it. So this beer has been frozen and thawed out. I don’t know what effect that will have. The aroma isn’t very appealing. I smell the smoke but it isn’t wood smoke. The smoke flavor is more subtle than the aroma. Not bad. It gets points for trying the whole smoked thing. Thanks to pdee, who was my secret santa.