overall
Brewed by Fosters Brewing (CUB)
Style: English Pale Ale
Southbank, Victoria, Australia
Serve in English pint

RATINGS: 568   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.32/5   EST. CALORIES: 165   ABV: 5.5%

Fulkrum78 (175) - Knoxville, Tennessee, USA - FEB 2, 2003
I remember liking this beer. Only had it once, and drank so much of it (and became so hungover after) that I can't bear to try it again.

maxhits (172) - Pico Rivera, California, USA - MAR 29, 2002
This medium-bodied ale pours with a deep honey color and produces a thick pillowy head that will lace up your glass. It features a soft, fruity nose with some hop aroma. Despite its name, this ale is not very bitter. There is a little initial fruit sweetness in the mouth, and the beer finishes to a somewhat dry, bitter finish. I found this beer to be quite delicious, and I definitely enjoy this Special Bitter ale and find it to be a superior beverage when compared to the blue-label Foster’s Lager. Compare in flavor to Bass Pale Ale, only think of something a little less fruity and a little more bitter.

Mklein818 (172) - Etterbeek, Virginia, BELGIUM - JUL 30, 2005
Nothing bitter about this bitter--lacks the depth and character of even its Australian rival ’bitters’ Coopers, Melbourne and Victorian. Still, among the limited assortment of beers sold in the ever-efficient 24oz can, Fosters Special Bitter is about as good as it gets--nothing offensive about it, and it goes fairly well with hot dogs, burgers and the like.

Jayson2425 (167) - Box Elder, South Dakota, USA - APR 15, 2004
I thought it was going to taste like shit but it was pretty good. I like the big can and nice taste.

Hiero (163) - Dallas, Texas, USA - JUN 21, 2015
Beautiful looking beer. Nice ruby color with plenty of carbonation and a medium size head that disappears fairly quickly. Taste is not quite as good as the looks. Light, flavorless body with a bit of bitterness that disappears in the aftertaste. Very drinkable, but also forgettable.

Caton (160) - Sydney, AUSTRALIA - MAR 14, 2002
They have stoped making this beer, what a loss to the world of beer.

0.7
drewcifer85710 (158) - Youngstown, Ohio, USA - NOV 23, 2003
Ari Fleischer told me to by this beer, he said it was really cool and that the president liked it an awful lot. When I found out it sucked I went back to Ari and asked what the deal was. I said "Hey, man! You told me Foster's Special Bitter was really good! You told me George W. Bush endorses it!" Then he asked if I had proof that he'd said this and said he can't confirm that Foster's Special Bitter even actually exists or not and that the president doesn't drink beer anyway. It's the big ass can that kept me from buying this for so long in the first place! And I wish it had continued to keep me from buying it. That's $2 I could've spent on anything else.

cAPSLOCK (156) - Dallas, Texas, USA - JUL 30, 2003
Medium amber color... skunky aroma. Bitter and a long finish. The best part of the taste is that long finish... something still is odd in the taste of the beer... a bit sour and strange.

TheBeerGenius (154) - Pittsburgh, PA, Pennsylvania, USA - JAN 11, 2004
I expected a bitter taste, but found a kinda dry plain taste. Not too bad though, kinda refreshing and not real strong.

khayman70 (153) - Indianapolis, Indiana, USA - DEC 18, 2002
Not a beer that stands out in my mind, but a drinkable brew on a hot day.