overall
Brewed by Fosters Brewing (CUB)
Style: English Pale Ale
Southbank, Victoria, Australia
Serve in English pint

RATINGS: 562   WEIGHTED AVG: 2.32/5   EST. CALORIES: 165   ABV: 5.5%

scanman (150) - Santa Cruz, California, USA - JUN 23, 2006
A little too malty, not really bitter. Very sweet as I was expecting something a little hoppy with a bite. Not bad for a mass produced lager. Much better than some of the watered down american lagers.

pmannion (12) - New Windsor, New York, USA - AUG 22, 2006
Oilcan. If you like a smooth rich bitter, this is the one for you. Not as hoppy as most bitters, and richer in flavors than most as well, this serves as a good pre-dinner beer.

BigBen2120 (688) - Derry, New Hampshire, USA - JAN 11, 2007
25.4oz can from Florian’s in Auburn. Translucent amber body with a couple of inches of initial light tan head that dissipates surprisingly slowly and leaves a fair bit of lacing. Smell is weak, but has elements of malt and hop. Tastes sweet overall, sugary with slight hints of molasses. Initially simple tasting, but is a tad more complex than initially noticeable. Rather light-bodied, but heavier than expected. Not great but not bad either; I’m sure it’s better than their other offering widely available in the states. It’s growing on me the more of it I drink. Pretty good for the price!

Wulfstan (509) - California, USA - JAN 3, 2008
UPDATED: FEB 14, 2008 This is a simple but decent, easy-to-drink bitter that’s still tasty. It is light copper with a big, long-lasting off-white head that actually leaves some lacing (if rather sudsy). The aroma is light malt and crackers with hints of pine and flowers. The taste is a light malty base with light but persistent hoppy bitterness and it stays evenly sweet and bitter throughout. It has a definite light lager-like quality but with a slightly stronger malt element and bitterness. It is not complex and is a little watery, but the flavours and bitterness are unmistakable, consistent, do not fade, and hold up very well to food. In the end, it is a lot like the lower-end, more mass-produced English bitters like Tetley’s, to which it is very similar except that without the nitro element it has more flavour and body. It’s nice, basic beer, tasty, easy to drink and good with food.

turtlehead (111) - Nottingham, New Hampshire, USA - AUG 2, 2000
I did not know what to expect with the bitter. This is a good macro beer. Beautiful amber color, a pleasing bitter/malty flavor, weak head, but not what you would expect when you think Fosters. If you like bitters, it is worth a try.

Aggie80 (818) - Michigan, USA - SEP 9, 2002
Pretty good stuff, certainly better than the blue cans. Good head, bit of an aftertaste, but overall a nice smooth brew. Slight skunky smell, but not overpowering.

Trappist (286) - Knoxville, Tennessee, USA - OCT 10, 2002
Well I love bitters, but I have drank much better than this one. It is not the worst bitter I have ever had though, it does however have a nice clean taste to it, but not the dry bite I was used to that most bitters produce. I want to try it one more time however.

Parrothead (294) - Ephrata, Pennsylvania, USA - MAR 13, 2004
I had this one out of a "stubby" - or is a "stubby" only the lager? Anyway, it was in the big oil can commonly used by Fosters. It poured with a nice, thick head which left a nice lace down the side of the glass as we went. Aroma was so-so; sweet malt up front, some bitterness in back. I was expecting more pronounced hop flavor. Would like to try this one on tap. A session beer.

Jayson2425 (167) - Box Elder, South Dakota, USA - APR 15, 2004
I thought it was going to taste like shit but it was pretty good. I like the big can and nice taste.

Metalhead (644) - Lake Zurich, Illinois, USA - JAN 4, 2005
Oh man. I can’t believe how much this beer is getting ripped on. My styles of choice are Belgian dubbels and quads,Impy stouts and strong lagers. IMO tho,this is one of THE best session beers out there. Not much character but overall easy drinking with a nice slightly sweet finish. This blows Crudweiser,Miller and the rest of the American macro piss beers outta the water. So saying that I’m giving this high honors as a great one dimensional slammy beer. Six oil cans for $10,how can ya go wrong?