Founders Backstage Series # 2: CBS (Canadian Breakfast Stout)

overall

RATINGS: 738   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.3/5   SEASONAL: Special   EST. CALORIES: 318   ABV: 10.6%
Ale Brewed with Chocolate and Coffee, aged in Maple Syrup-Bourbon Barrels.

jbean (110) - Illinois, USA - APR 11, 2009
Wow, this is one beautiful beer. Body and appearance similar to BS and KBS, but the slight maple sweetness and aroma are a perfect addition. I hope they decide to bottle this. A unique beer that is wonderfully done.

xnoxhatex (1305) - Grand Rapids/Chicago, Michigan, USA - APR 5, 2009
On tap at founders. Opaque black with medium, creamy tan head. Big bourbon aroma, vanilla, cherry, sweet roast, coffee, tobacco. Sweet, coffee, bourbon, roast, an actual maple syrup presence not unlike barley wine, chocolate, slight alc that is not overehelmitastying. Medium to thin with light carbonation. Sweeter, but darn good.

Blaze312 (132) - Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA - MAR 30, 2009
Had this on tap at founders. Simular to the breakfast stout and KBS. A little more maple flavor on this one though. A very good beer but I still prefer KBS.

bdigital (658) - Ft Wayne, Indiana, USA - MAR 29, 2009
Draft @ Founders: I’ll make this one as concise as possible...everything about this is identical to the regular Breakfast Stout except for an overly sweet, bordering on cloying maple accent that really detracts from anything else the beer has to offer. All in all not bad for what it is but I had to pass the rest of my glass off to cmr1517 to finish it.

bigtaster (1002) - Grand Rapids, Michigan, USA - MAR 25, 2009
UPDATED: DEC 24, 2014 On tap @ Founders. Black with nice brown head, almost no lacing. Smells like a fresh roasted coffee on ice, with huge malt presence. Great flavor, very creamy, seems more even keeled than KBS with a very nice maple kick. Of course huge coffee flavor and strong milk chocolate, alcohol is hidden. Kick of sweetness at start and lasting semi-bitter presence throughout. Wonderful. Second tasting of this was bottle with 5 years on it, one of the best beers I’ve had, very impressive.

ezyeric (7) - Comstock Park, Michigan, USA - MAR 18, 2009 does not count
At Founders for lunch. Aroma similar to KBS but not as much coffee. It starts out very sweet, bitter, almost tarty on the tip of the tongue but the aftertaste hits with the dose of coffee, toffee, and then to a strong chocolate. I was not aware of the maple so I was looking but I can now definitely imagine it in the mix, probably adds to the overall sweetness.

VikingHammer (506) - Lynnfield, Massachusetts, USA - MAR 17, 2009
Sample at EBF Boston. Pour black with a small brown head (because of 2 oz pour). Big coffee aroma with hints of sweet maple syrup and chocolate. This beer is very sweet but still allows the coffee flavors to peak through. I nice twist on an awesome beer. Glad I got to try it.

BrewCzar (108) - St Louis, Missouri, USA - MAR 15, 2009
Don’t know that I’d say that this is better than KBS, but it is damn good stuff. Really sweet, tons of sugars, and ultra smooth. I think the Barrel aging and the strong sugar overtones cause you to lose some of the great malt flavors of the regular KBS. I would put this in my Top 10 imperials. I only wish I could have taken some home with me.

Tweety (377) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - MAR 11, 2009
UPDATED: MAY 12, 2009 Even better than the original. The coffee in the original was delicious but a little astringent, especially when fresh. Here the sweetness and maple character from the barrels provides a counter-balance to that, and the result is pure delicious!

inkubus27 (269) - highland, Indiana, USA - MAR 10, 2009
For creativity, I give an A+++. But for flavor and drinkability, I thought this was a mess. If just had a really strange taste and I honestly could have just taken a sip of this and been happy. If anything impressed me it was the aroma. Smells like a huge stout with big overtones of maple, oak and more maple syrup. Very creative, just not drinkable