overall
RATINGS: 1002   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.31/5   SEASONAL: Series   EST. CALORIES: 351   ABV: 11.7%
Imperial Stout brewed with Chocolate and Coffee, aged in Maple Syrup-Bourbon Barrels.

CBS was born when we stumbled upon some bourbon barrels that had previously housed maple syrup. We opted to put the same base beer as KBS, an imperialized version of Breakfast Stout, in the maple barrels and, after one taste, we knew we had something special. Rich maple syrup, roasted coffee and velvety chocolate meld together in what can only be described as a transcendental drinking experience.

Backstage Series #2: 10.6% ABV
Barrel-Aged Series (2017): 11.7% ABV

lithy (2996) - Capital of Appalachia, Pennsylvania, USA - OCT 5, 2011
Black, brown edges, tan foam. The aroma is lots of coffee, chocolate, light sweetness in the form of vanilla or maple syrup is hidden underneath. The taste is the same, residual syrup sweet finish. I don’t know, I tried the regular Breakfast Stout at the same time, it was lighter of course but still a solid coffee flavor, I don’t know if the maple and bourbon added enough. Still worth the try.

Beerman6686 (6611) - Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA - OCT 5, 2011
Wow, thank you founders for distributing this beauty! This poured a very dark brown almost completely black, with an nice dark tan head which makes me feel like im about to experience something incredible. Aroma is pretty darn good, lots of chocolate, coffee, dark roasted malts, and some light burnt maple syrup. Flavor was just a tad bit better than the aroma. Lots and lots of chocolate, sweet malted caramel chocolates, some maple syrup pancakes, and then some herbal/stale coffee hops. Definitely a great experience, but too overwhelming for consistent drinking.

RyanMM (417) - Ferndale, Michigan, USA - OCT 5, 2011
Smooth as buttah. Milk Chocolate and maple on the nose. Creamy chocolate, sweet, good carbonation, ridiculously smooth. Rich. Intense. Almost no heat. Little bitterness. Really. Damn. Good.

ChadPolenz (1847) - Lakeland, Florida, USA - OCT 3, 2011
I split a 750ml bottle with a friend. I poured my share into a balloon goblet.

Appearance: Opaque black body with a large frothy/creamy dark brown head. It retains and laces the glass perfectly.

Smell: Massive coffee and bourbon aroma. Huge vanilla syrup and sweet smokiness. Extremely inviting.

Taste: Founders Canadian Breakfast Stout (or just "CBS" as the bottle indicates) is begins with the same or very similar base brew as Founders Kentucky Breakfast Stout (KBS). It’s then aged in barrels that were previously used to age maple syrup which were previously used to age bourbon. Right off the bat that makes for a very interesting palate, and since I’ve already been fortunate enough to try the KBS, I couldn’t help but wonder how the CBS could possibly top its forefather.

But that’s the thing about this beer - I don’t think it’s meant to surpass the KBS as much as it’s meant to be a different approach to the same beer. Taste-wise, the palates are very similar. It begins with a sweet imperial stout taste, then coffee flavor and bitterness through the middle. The ending is the best part - huge vanilla and bourbon flavors appear out of nowhere and leave just a trace of smoke in their wake. This is a flavor and sensation commonly found in oak-aged imperial stouts, but I’ve never encountered so much vanilla before. It almost seems confectionary, as if it’s a vanilla flavoring or if the beer were aged in spiced rum barrels.

The energy level is high all around from beginning to end with a perfect balance of coffee taste and bitterness with vanilla and wood sweetness. It doesn’t have quite the roasty flavor as the KBS forbearer, making it seem actually kind of, dare I say, mild, in comparison. Whatever the case may be, Founders CBS is still a delicious brew.

Mouthfeel: Thick, soft, tepid, full-bodied. Coats the mouth, but finishes cleaner than you think.

Drinkability: You know a beer is highly drinkable when it weighs in at 10.6% ABV, has tons of flavor, and is so easy to drink you have to remember to savor it. That’s what happened to me with Founders CBS. I nearly guzzled my serving down as if there was an unlimited supply (I certainly wish there was!). What’s so impressive is that it is such a big beer and so smooth. There’s a little bit of alcohol warmth in the throat, but it’s easily tolerable. The aftertaste is quite clean with mild sweetness that’s never dry or cloying.

Overall, Founders CBS is a fantastic beer that probably lives up to the hype.

mikem409 (2032) - bloomfield, Michigan, USA - OCT 2, 2011
had on draft at founders tap room after standing in the cold for my cbs bottles and man did it warm me right up sweet, 10.6 alcohol with slight maple and a big bourbon wallop.

rayl101 (166) - Brownstown, Michigan, USA - OCT 1, 2011
UPDATED: OCT 3, 2011 On tap at the brewery release. Jet black with a thin tan head. Aroma is chocolatety, with notes of maple syrup, toffee, vanilla, and a litttle coffee. Body is full, almost viscous. Flavor is also very chocolatety with notes of vanilla, maple syrup, and sweet bourbon. Not overpowering. Very smooth, and easy to drink. Bourbon character is very subtle. Absolutely incredible!

jar72404 (426) - USA - OCT 1, 2011
On tap at brewpub. Aroma is chocolate and maple. Flavor is bourbon, maple syrup, chocolate, with a long sweet finish. Very nice.

Madtown1 (13) - Wisconsin, USA - SEP 6, 2011
Breakfast Stout has a thick pour in snifter. It has a deep, dark brown color with a thin tan head that laces the glass nicely. Brew has a dark coffee aroma and major hints of dark chocolate too. I also get a hint of a bitter, roasty malt notes. Brew has a bitterness from the dark coffee and chocolate, apparently Founders use Sumatra and Kona coffee in this brew. There really is no oatmeal "flavor" that is present. It seems that this was merely for the velvet, smooth texture of the brew. Feels fairly smooth, rich viscosity with a slick finish that temporarily sticks to your tongue. It’s a good stout.

dcschiller (2211) - Scottsdale, Arizona, USA - AUG 23, 2011
UPDATED: OCT 19, 2011 (12oz bottle filled at the brewery). This was a great surprise at an epic tasting. Pours dark brown with red hues and a nice tan head. Aroma is super roasty with some sweetness. Taste is roasty again with a bit of sweetnes underneath. Not as sweet as I expected though. Medium bodied wit ha slick texture. Dry roasty finish. I didn’t love this beer. I expected the maple to add some nice sweetness, but instead, it was a bit too roasty for my liking. Will have to re-rerate when the new bottles are released. (750ml bottle from rayl101. Tasted on 10.19.2011) Pours similar to the 12oz bottle, but that is where the similarities end. There is some nice roasted coffee in the nost and some maple to go along with some cocoa. Taste is sweet with more coffee and some great maple sweetness. Full bodied with a slick texture. Finish is sweet and roasty, but well balanced. Alcohol is noticeable in that it starts to warm the chest and throat. This is what I expected from Founders and it didn’t disappoint. I’m guessing that this is not a beer that you will want to age as all that beautiful coffee and maple will probably fade. Drink it now!

popery (2231) - San Francisco, California, USA - AUG 12, 2011
Review #1000! Huge thanks to beddachedda. Brewery-filled 12 oz. This beer is so damn good and one of the best stouts that I’ve tried. The maple flavor is absolutely wonderful and blends into the chocolatey stout perfectly. I tried the Founders imperial stout lineup together, and CBS was head and shoulders better than the rest, though I’ve never been a KBS fan, to be honest. The pour is black and thick. It has an awesome dark brown head, not quite Hunahpu dark but close. The aroma is a perfectly meshed combination of barrel and stout flavors. Chocolate and maple are the strongest notes, but coffee, roast, vanilla, bourbon and oak all play significant roles. The taste is pretty much perfectly sweet to complement the stout’s flavors. I had to stop myself from drinking my entire glass in one go. It’s a great beer to sip with its big, round mouthfeel and wonderfully complex interplay of flavors, but it was so delicious that I had to force myself to slow down. The syrup flavor fits with the beer even better than I could have hoped (and to be honest, my hopes weren’t set all that high). It has all of the best flavors of rich, dark maple syrup. It reminds me of a test batch of bourbon barrel-aged maple syrup that I tried at the S. Burlington farmer’s market. I found out recently that Founders will be bottling this stuff and I absolute can not wait for another round. Thank you to Founders for a great beer for my 1000th review.