overall
RATINGS: 1956   WEIGHTED AVG: 4/5   SEASONAL: Autumn   IBU: 50   EST. CALORIES: 348   ABV: 11.6%
Big and delicious for your ’perty mouth. Expect lovely, warm smells of single malt scotch, oaky bourbon barrels, smoke, sweet caramel and roasted malts. A bit of earthy spice and a scintilla of dark cherries. It’s a kick-back sipper made to excite the palate.

rangerred (989) - Johnson City, Tennessee, USA - DEC 19, 2012
Had on tap. Arrived with a clear dark brown body with no head at all. Aroma is nearly all bourbon and the characteristics that go along with it. Lots of vanilla, caramel, and wood. The bourbon continues over to the flavor but it is very smooth and quite sweet; not harsh in the least. Caramel and vanilla dominate along with some pleasant fruitiness. Alcohol is pretty well hidden considering the strength of this beer. Overall, if you like bourbon you will absolutely love this beer. The flavors mesh perfectly and the mouthfeel is just right; full but not too sweet. A really amazing beer.

changeup45 (1731) - Lake Mary, Florida, USA - DEC 18, 2012
Bottle. A murky deep brown/amber color pours out without mustering much of a head. Black plum, raisin, sugary dates, and bourbon-soaked wood invades the senses. While the aroma isn’t as bourbon heavy as I anticipated, the flavor is. This doesn’t really bother me since I generally like bourbon aged beers and I’m not a huge fan of Scotch Ales anyway. Some cherry skin, toffee, and raisins are noted as well. A bit earthy. This doesn’t come across as overly complex but it’s quite tasty. A good one to sit back and relax with during a cool night for sure.

brown2cu (14) - Cincinnati, - DEC 15, 2012
A: Heavy caramel, dark fruit, layered with peat, and bourbon. Incredibly lovely. Nothing overwhelms anything and for being a boozy beer, the alcohol is restrained and mellow. A: Pours a deep chestnut brown--very formidable looking. Very marginal lacing. T: My first impression is that isn’t as sweet as I would have believed. It is more woody bourbony than anything. There is bitterness but it is only to tamp the more agressive aspects of this beer. As it warms, it gets more assertively smoky and also picks up a meaty aspect. Overall, I dig this beer. However, I believe it is toned down from last year. It could do with a bit more complexity. P: Medium bodied and not as heavy as one would expect. Surprisingly active carbonation for a beer of this caliber. O: I really enjoy this beer. Although, it is not something that I would want to drink frequently, but on cold nights, it is a wonderful choice.

badwhale (420) - Bitterville, Pennsylvania, USA - DEC 14, 2012
Bottle to shaker glass. Pours a clear dark amber with a sparse tan head that laces great. Smells boozy, definitely taste the bourbon. Woodsy flavor. I’m not getting a lot of hop flavor. Malty with a strong bourbon backbone. Nice.

CanIHave4Beers (4224) - Pouring Bus, Iowa, USA - DEC 14, 2012
This beloved beer, is one that I have had a very good number of times by way of small 1 to 3oz samples served on draught at the bar where I work. The reason why I’ve tried it so many times is because honestly I’m a little amazed that what I’m tasting when I take a sample of it could ever be a beer rated within the 99th percentile on Ratebeer. To put it shortly I’ve been up till this point wholly unimpressed with my encounters with this beer.
When I spotted single bottles for sale at a local liquor shop I decided that perhaps I’m drinking too little of the beer, too fast, and at too low a temperature... perhaps the 3oz taster glass is a poor receptacle for the beer.... So I sank the $3.50 so that at the very least I could drive the nail into the coffin and proclaim that I never want to drink the beer again, or adversely find that through serving the beer the beer properly in a tulip glass, at a cellar temperature, and with enough volume to wrap my head around any before missed subtitles that I may experience what so many others seem to love about this beer.

The color of the beer is really quite beautiful, a very deep reddish orange, the head is small, but well retained.

I will admit that the aroma is inviting and far more pronounced at the higher serving temperature. Initially out of the bottle rich woody, boozy, and vanilla bourbon notes were dominant. But while the glass sits these notes become more subdued (although they never go away). The beer is sweet and boozy smelling with cherries, toffee, and toasted nuts.

My goodness the flavor of this beer is a different animal from the bottle at cellar temperature. Far less brash with much more character. Yes it is still a tad on the sweet and boozy side for what I generally prefer, but the beer is still nice. Vanilla, whiskey, mild spice, dark sweet cherries, woodiness, red apple skins, and light smoke are enjoyable and satisfying notes. There is something familiar about the beer that I can’t put my finger on, but I think it might be akin to cavendish tobacco.

The beer is too sweet and boozy for me to really love, but it’s weird... I like some beers that are sweeter and/or boozier than this one. The other elements... while good, are maybe not fantastic enough to overly wow me, but I must say I do enjoy the beer, and propa serving technique meant the world for the aroma and flavor of this beer.

I admit, I understand the appeal now... and this makes for a fantastic nightcap.

AskForJenny (1086) - Ontario, New York, USA - DEC 13, 2012
12 oz - The nose tells you instantly this is not a toy. Creamy front, bourbon back. Yum

puboflyons (3490) - Allenstown, New Hampshire, USA - DEC 13, 2012
From the 12 fl. oz. bottle. The pour is a handsome looking amber-brown with an off-white fluffy head that lasts for a time. The aroma is alive with bourbon and wood along with caramel malts, butterscotch, and a little smoke. The body is medium to bold. The taste is much like the aroma with a touch of vanilla tossed in and a long, lingering bitter bite at the end. Very nice indeed.

jd10 (68) - Lebanon, New Hampshire, USA - DEC 12, 2012
pours dark brown without much head. aroma is mainly wood (oak) and bourbon, with a little bit of vanilla as well. taste is almost entirely caramel and toffee sweetness; vanilla and malt are also there, as well as some sharp dark fruit notes near the end. rich, smooth, and boozy.

wlajwl (7064) - Quad Cities, Iowa, USA - DEC 11, 2012
Aroma is fruit, malts and a heavy hint of sweetness. The flavor is is malts, oak/fruit and vinous/alcohol note in the finish.

Malty_MacHops (688) - Eastanollee, Georgia, USA - DEC 11, 2012
The nose is vanilla, wood, and bourbon. Deep brown with a quickly disappearing head. Sweet malt with some earthy bitterness in the back. Full bodied and warming.