overall
RATINGS: 1926   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.99/5   SEASONAL: Autumn   IBU: 50   EST. CALORIES: 348   ABV: 11.6%
Big and delicious for your perty mouth. Expect lovely, warm smells of single malt scotch, oaky bourbon barrels, smoke, sweet caramel and roasted malts. A bit of earthy spice and a scintilla of dark cherries. Its a kick-back sipper made to excite the palate.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
dwmiller16 (112) - Delaware, USA - DEC 24, 2012
Aged 1 year. Huge vanilla aroma. Rich caramel color. Lots of bourbon at first, not too boozy. Well done. ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 20/20
degowop (34) - Hoboken, New Jersey, USA - DEC 23, 2012
Bottled October 5, 2012 and enjoyed December 23, 2012. Pours with a faint amount of head. Wonderful dark amber color. Initial scent is oak, vanilla and bourbon and so is the taste. Texture is rather thick , leaving a nice flavorful coating on the palate, and smooth as hell. Warming bourbon flavor throughout. Sweetness from Dirty Bastard is tempered nicely with the bourbon, though the two flavors live harmoniously with one another. This has been my favorite beer for years, and this years offering does not disappoint.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
CHUDNW (28) - Seattle, Washington, USA - DEC 22, 2012
This backwoods bastard can lock me in it oaky shed at will. Smells superb, all barrel-riffic, oaky vanilla thing. On the tongue you get that too, plus big caramel/toffee flavors and nice spicy zing. Squealin' like a pig right now.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
rangerred (989) - Johnson City, Tennessee, USA - DEC 19, 2012
Had on tap. Arrived with a clear dark brown body with no head at all. Aroma is nearly all bourbon and the characteristics that go along with it. Lots of vanilla, caramel, and wood. The bourbon continues over to the flavor but it is very smooth and quite sweet; not harsh in the least. Caramel and vanilla dominate along with some pleasant fruitiness. Alcohol is pretty well hidden considering the strength of this beer. Overall, if you like bourbon you will absolutely love this beer. The flavors mesh perfectly and the mouthfeel is just right; full but not too sweet. A really amazing beer.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
changeup45 (1731) - Lake Mary, Florida, USA - DEC 18, 2012
Bottle. A murky deep brown/amber color pours out without mustering much of a head. Black plum, raisin, sugary dates, and bourbon-soaked wood invades the senses. While the aroma isnt as bourbon heavy as I anticipated, the flavor is. This doesnt really bother me since I generally like bourbon aged beers and Im not a huge fan of Scotch Ales anyway. Some cherry skin, toffee, and raisins are noted as well. A bit earthy. This doesnt come across as overly complex but its quite tasty. A good one to sit back and relax with during a cool night for sure.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 18/20
brown2cu (14) - Cincinnati, - DEC 15, 2012
A: Heavy caramel, dark fruit, layered with peat, and bourbon. Incredibly lovely. Nothing overwhelms anything and for being a boozy beer, the alcohol is restrained and mellow. A: Pours a deep chestnut brown--very formidable looking. Very marginal lacing. T: My first impression is that isnt as sweet as I would have believed. It is more woody bourbony than anything. There is bitterness but it is only to tamp the more agressive aspects of this beer. As it warms, it gets more assertively smoky and also picks up a meaty aspect. Overall, I dig this beer. However, I believe it is toned down from last year. It could do with a bit more complexity. P: Medium bodied and not as heavy as one would expect. Surprisingly active carbonation for a beer of this caliber. O: I really enjoy this beer. Although, it is not something that I would want to drink frequently, but on cold nights, it is a wonderful choice.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
badwhale (420) - Bitterville, Pennsylvania, USA - DEC 14, 2012
Bottle to shaker glass. Pours a clear dark amber with a sparse tan head that laces great. Smells boozy, definitely taste the bourbon. Woodsy flavor. Im not getting a lot of hop flavor. Malty with a strong bourbon backbone. Nice.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 15/20
CanIHave4Beers (4181) - Pouring Bus, Iowa, USA - DEC 14, 2012
This beloved beer, is one that I have had a very good number of times by way of small 1 to 3oz samples served on draught at the bar where I work. The reason why Ive tried it so many times is because honestly Im a little amazed that what Im tasting when I take a sample of it could ever be a beer rated within the 99th percentile on Ratebeer. To put it shortly Ive been up till this point wholly unimpressed with my encounters with this beer.
When I spotted single bottles for sale at a local liquor shop I decided that perhaps Im drinking too little of the beer, too fast, and at too low a temperature... perhaps the 3oz taster glass is a poor receptacle for the beer.... So I sank the $3.50 so that at the very least I could drive the nail into the coffin and proclaim that I never want to drink the beer again, or adversely find that through serving the beer the beer properly in a tulip glass, at a cellar temperature, and with enough volume to wrap my head around any before missed subtitles that I may experience what so many others seem to love about this beer.

The color of the beer is really quite beautiful, a very deep reddish orange, the head is small, but well retained.

I will admit that the aroma is inviting and far more pronounced at the higher serving temperature. Initially out of the bottle rich woody, boozy, and vanilla bourbon notes were dominant. But while the glass sits these notes become more subdued (although they never go away). The beer is sweet and boozy smelling with cherries, toffee, and toasted nuts.

My goodness the flavor of this beer is a different animal from the bottle at cellar temperature. Far less brash with much more character. Yes it is still a tad on the sweet and boozy side for what I generally prefer, but the beer is still nice. Vanilla, whiskey, mild spice, dark sweet cherries, woodiness, red apple skins, and light smoke are enjoyable and satisfying notes. There is something familiar about the beer that I cant put my finger on, but I think it might be akin to cavendish tobacco.

The beer is too sweet and boozy for me to really love, but its weird... I like some beers that are sweeter and/or boozier than this one. The other elements... while good, are maybe not fantastic enough to overly wow me, but I must say I do enjoy the beer, and propa serving technique meant the world for the aroma and flavor of this beer.

I admit, I understand the appeal now... and this makes for a fantastic nightcap.

AskForJenny (1082) - Ontario, New York, USA - DEC 13, 2012
12 oz - The nose tells you instantly this is not a toy. Creamy front, bourbon back. Yum

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 16/20
puboflyons (3328) - Allenstown, New Hampshire, USA - DEC 13, 2012
From the 12 fl. oz. bottle. The pour is a handsome looking amber-brown with an off-white fluffy head that lasts for a time. The aroma is alive with bourbon and wood along with caramel malts, butterscotch, and a little smoke. The body is medium to bold. The taste is much like the aroma with a touch of vanilla tossed in and a long, lingering bitter bite at the end. Very nice indeed.