overall
RATINGS: 3515   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.15/5   SEASONAL: Autumn   IBU: 60   EST. CALORIES: 249   ABV: 8.3%
The coffee lover’s consummate beer. Brewed with an abundance of flaked oats, bitter and imported chocolates and two types of coffee, this stout has an intense fresh-roasted java nose topped with a frothy, cinnamon-colored head that goes forever.

dwaggs2 (1297) - Jefferson City, Missouri, USA - OCT 22, 2009
Bottle. Poured a jet black color with a creamy tan head. Aroma was coffee, roasted malts, and chocolate. Flavor was very rich and creamy. More coffee, chocolate, and burnt notes. Very complex beer. Very good.

hershiser2 (3242) - Charlottesville, Virginia, USA - OCT 21, 2009
Rating #901... too bad this wasn’t #900. Bottle. Pours black with a small brown head. Coffee beans - nice rich and roasted - in the nose. Flavor is bitter coffee and chocolates... thick and oily. Delicious.

slitcher (267) - Freeport, Illinois, USA - OCT 20, 2009
Pours an oily dark brown with a tan head. Aroma of coffee, cocoa, vanilla and caramel. Flavors of baking cocoa and coffee up front with bitter toffee at the end. An amazingingly drinkable and flavorful stout; one of my all-time favorites.

livelaughlovep (108) - Lakewood, Ohio, USA - OCT 20, 2009
I think this brew is slightly over-rated. It is delicious. It is a Founders’ brew, so of course it is. However, its all coffee. If I wanted a cuppa, I’d have a cuppa. I clearly wanted a beer, so why is it so over the top coffee? 99% of the flavor was strong, rich coffee. Once warmed slightly and sipped, a roasted, nutty oatmeal and chocolate flavor emerges with a nice hint of bitterness. Fantastic brew, sure, but I prefer my brews a little more dimensional...

boFNjackson (4201) - Portland, Oregon, USA - OCT 18, 2009
Bottle... Poured almost black with a huge, brown head. Boozy with roasted malts on the nose. Smoked malts and chocolate with bread-like oatmeal flavors. Rich with a burnt, bready finish.

HomeBrewHawk (464) - De Soto, Kansas, USA - OCT 18, 2009
12 oz. bottle served in a snifter. Poured a deep brown/black with a finger of dark tan head. Big coffee aroma, also some hops. Full, rich mouthfeel. Coffee is not as pronounced in the flavor as the aroma. Plenty of chocolate malt flavor as well. Fair amount of hop bitterness. Long dry finish of coffee. Better to drink on the warm side. One of the better coffee stouts.

kassner (1659) - Wexford, Pennsylvania, USA - OCT 17, 2009
On tap at Mad mex, like getting a Guiness but with the bonus of more hopsand coffee. Very nice. Nice and dark, a thin head but a full glass.

ruskiimperial (308) - Richmond, Virginia, USA - OCT 16, 2009
An amazing imperial stout for sure. Well ok I am very biased towards this style so keep this in mind. It pours a very dark color, even darker and richer in body than most other stouts. There is a thin tan head, but it certainly stays for quite a while, leaving nice lacing on the glass. The taste has that delicious coffee flavor with a few other hints of chocolate and roasted malts. Very very delicious. It may not be quite as complex and I’m not sure how well it will age, as of right now its an exceptional dark ale.

udflyerfan07 (173) - Dayton, Ohio, USA - OCT 16, 2009
12oz bottle pours deep black with foamy tan head. Huge, huge aroma. I could smell the flavors even with the beer on the other side of my desk. Amazing just to look at, perfection. Heavy coffee flavor. Very very thick stout. I’m new to rating at this point and stouts being my fav so far, this is one of the best I’ve had.

obxdude10 (2324) - Pottstown, Pennsylvania, USA - OCT 14, 2009
I’ve been searcing high and low for this beer around my area. I missed it a few times on draft at some local pubs and bars. Then on a trip to the newly opened Wegman’s in Collegeville, I found a four-pack in bottles. I immediately scouped it up and into my cart. I’ve heard a lot of hype about a lot of other beers in the past. Some have disappointed, others have lived up and delivered. This stout is definitely the ladder. This beer certainly delivers on all that was promised and spoken of. It pours a completely opaque black color with a small, but long-lasting beige head. There is a little bit of lacing left around the glass. The aroma is truely inviting and offers a glimpse of what is to come. I find hints of roasted coffee, earth, lightly toasted bread, cream, vanilla and a hint of caramel. My first thought after popping the cap and pouring the beer was, ’Wow, this beer is thick!" And thick it is! This beer actually coats the entire inside of my mouth. Some beers claim to pour like motor oil, but this one actually isn’t lying. They aren’t kidding when they say you can drink this with a folk. It is really that thick. The flavors are dangerously delicious, extremely balanced and completely drinkable. I’m actually surprised that this beer only registers 8.+%. This could easily reach 10% and higher. Maybe they make a version that high, and I could, at this point while enjoying this, only imagine what that would be like. The flavors are creamy and balanced, with lots of notes of dark roasted coffee and hints of chocolate, thick milk and bread. There is definitely a great mix of floral hops included, as well. The balance of this beer is incredible. Man, is this one delicious and devasting beer!