overall
RATINGS: 3373   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.15/5   SEASONAL: Autumn   IBU: 60   EST. CALORIES: 249   ABV: 8.3%
The coffee lover’s consummate beer. Brewed with an abundance of flaked oats, bitter and imported chocolates and two types of coffee, this stout has an intense fresh-roasted java nose topped with a frothy, cinnamon-colored head that goes forever.

DocLock (11110) - Lower Pottsgrove, Pennsylvania, USA - DEC 8, 2004
BBB63 is one of the best traders of all time. This is only the 3rd beer I’ve had from his trade with me, and I already wish I had an extra day off from work so I could drink them all tonight. A GIGANTIC thank you to BBB63 for this one. Pours RAVEN BLACK (it shines) with a two finger tan head. Take a picture because you won’t see a better looking beer anywhere. Huge aroma of malt chocolate, tons of coffee, and even jalapeno peppers. Marvelous intense aroma. Tastes very malty, with tons of chocoff, some fruit, nut hints, and that finishing burst of jalapeno oil which twitches the tongue. The palate is super firm, very well balanced, and amazingly complex. As it warmed, more chocolate and even raspberries came out with the coffee receding a bit. The jalapeno sensation remained throughout, and it was a welcome innovation. If this beer was Greg Louganis, its head would not have hit the diving board and bled AIDS into the Olympic pool. No deductions here, even from the Russian judge. Ladies and gentlemen, we have PERFECTION! Hands down, the best stout I have ever had along with the Central Waters BBS. I’ve had great Impy Stouts (and I consider this one an Impy, as such), but in the stout category, this one is tops with the CWBBS. I’d drink this for breakfast, lunch, dinner, and a snack if I could get my hands on more of it. As Pittsburgh Pengiuns announcer Mike Lange might say after a Mario Lemieux goal, "Buy Sam a Founders Breakfast Stout and get his dog one too."

jasonp (1581) - Ashburn, Virginia, USA - FEB 6, 2005
UPDATED: FEB 24, 2007 Good thing I LOVE coffee. Pours a motor oily thick black with a light brown head. Incredibly beautiful aroma of potting soil, roasty coffee and piney US hops. Taste has big notes of coffee and coffee, chocolate, earthiness, roasted malt, hops, some dark fruit and rum; awesome. Very full, round and creamy on the palate; seriously - the body on this beer HAS to be the silkiest thing on the planet. The great roastyness lingers forever. I have had this beer on four separate occasions over the past couple years; (full bottles) it never ceases to amaze. Perfection.

eboats (1115) - Omaha, Nebraska, USA - DEC 29, 2005
UPDATED: DEC 31, 2005 Special thanks to Landseer for this gem! Poured black with a dark brown head. Aroma was huge coffee and roasted notes with such a pleasantly sweet chocolate. The chocolate in the aroma didn’t shine through right away, but once I found it I couldn’t believe how glorious it was. Sweet, scrumptious, and just plain dominant. Has a lush malty body complimented with a perfectly sweet chocolate. Coffee, oatmeal, and vanilla complimented one of the best if not the best chocolate flavor I have experienced in a beer. This was an unbelievable experience. It was my perfect balance of flavors.

zach8270 (4021) - Henrietta, New York, USA - FEB 12, 2006
UPDATED: DEC 21, 2008 (bottle - 12 oz) Dark black pour with not much of a head, but what’s there is dark brown. Looks like used motor oil. Aroma is chock full of coffee, chocolate and oatmeal. So thick and inviting. The taste is out of this world. The coffee flavors envelope your tongue at the start and permit some of the chocolate and oatmeal sweetness to join in for a quick romp. Then it gently slides away into a wonderfully creamy finish with an aftertaste of chocolate and coffee. Feels like liquid velvet. It took nearly 800 beers to do it, but I finally found a beer worth of a perfect 5. I need to get more of this beer.

jscherer (6) - USA - DEC 20, 2007 does not count
caramel, chocolate, coffee, nuts, smoke, black, cloudy, rocky head, tan foam, full body, long finish,

luvpnkflyd (10) - Kokomo, Indiana, USA - FEB 11, 2009
I love this beer! I can’t wait to try the Kentucky Breakfast Stout!

Quicker (18) - Grand Rapids, Michigan, USA - MAR 17, 2009
Wonderful coffee and chocolate tatse. A mouthful of flavors. Goes down very smooth.

Fulmonte21 (42) - USA - SEP 11, 2009
The perfect stout!!! I had this beer at RFD in Washington DC and it was truly the highlite of my trip. Dark brown color, nice head and smelled like coffee! Truly like breakfast in a glass.

TimRN999 (1) - USA - SEP 14, 2009 does not count
An old paramedic buddy of mine introduced me to Founder’s Breakfast Stout. I had grown tired of drinking bland light beers and he, in a way, resuscitated my passion for beer. I have always been a fan of Stouts, but now I’m a groupie. Guinness was always my go-to beer, but I can no longer drink Guinness without thinking of this beer.

There is simply nothing bad to say about it. When you open the bottle you get a hint of coffee and chocolate that lets you know that you’re in store for something truly special.

Founder’s Breakfast Stout takes a smooth, enjoying ride over your palate. I’ve never had a beer that brought back so many memories of my favorite edible delights. Coffee, dark chocolate, molasses...

This beer is simply so damn good that I’m almost as angry that I swallowed it as I am happy to have had it caress every taste bud on the way down.

I ration the bottles I have as to extend this taste nirvana. Please make more Breakfast Stout and send it all to Charlotte, NC.

spiritsbeerman (47) - Nicholasville, Kentucky, USA - OCT 1, 2009
I love this beer. A coffee lovers dream. Pours like oil. A hard pour and still no head but still a nice lacing. 60 IBU’s must be at the front end,because it is such a smooth beer. The best stout or coffee stout I have ever had. If someone knows a better one hook me up.