overall
RATINGS: 2758   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.79/5   IBU: 65   EST. CALORIES: 216   ABV: 7.2%
Selected as a benchmark for the Beer Judge Certification Program used in all American based beer judgings. Centennial IPA has quickly become the IPA of choice. Pour yourself a pint of this complex flavorful ale and bask in the frothy head’s floral bouquet. Relish the immense citrus accents, achieved by the abundance of dry hopping. This ale’s sweet, malty undertones balance the hop character with a finish that never turns too bitter.

deanso (10132) - Chiang Mai, THAILAND - JUL 24, 2011
35cl bottle shared with kermis. Thin white head. Slightly hazy golden blond pour. Nice and hoppy. Lovely

PhatB420 (840) - Pittsfield, Massachusetts, USA - JUL 23, 2011
Full and contained head sets this one up nicely in a pint glass. Aroma is fantastically floral, a citrus haven, and glorious. Taste is a slight let down from the ol factory excitement, but still great. Hoppy, fresh grapefruit, dried cloves,, some ginger, elegant dry hopping really brings forth a big and diverisfied taste. Founders makes great beer. Color is bronzed oragne with brown, red, and copper hues.

dinkle50 (1477) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - JUL 22, 2011
Really nicely done. Light fruity smell, clean, but not skunky smelling like some IPA’s. Really nicely balanced and not overly bitter. On draft served in a pint glass.

bigirishphan (106) - Peoria Heights, Illinois, USA - JUL 20, 2011
One of my "go to" beers. The aroma is lighter but the taste makes you forget all that. It pours a dark caramel with a strong off-white head. This is an excellent beer... Sweet, yet bitter, hearty, yet refreshing, and I love how complex it is. Every time I enjoy this, I find something different.

dougdecinces (118) - Indianapolis, Indiana, USA - JUL 18, 2011
UPDATED: MAR 2, 2012 I drank this directly after a Boulevard Double Wide, so my taste buds may be a bit off. Poured a cloudy pale amber. Great lacing, however. Aroma was subdued at first, but improved as it warmed. Centennial is a solid hop and I enjoyed the hop flavor, but the real treat was the malt flavor. I got a pronounced honey-like flavor in the aftertaste. Palate is completely different than Double Wide and threw me off, but I think this is more akin to what an IPA should be like. Only moderate carbonation and perplexingly smooth. Overall this is a solid IPA. B/B+. 3/2 - I had a chance to try this again on tap. I bumped it up a couple points. As it was likely fresher, it had a much more pleasant hop aroma while the rest of my previous rating held true.

tiong (7271) - Espoo, FINLAND - JUL 17, 2011
Bottle @ Pikkulintu, Helsinki. Originally rated on 5.2.2010. Excellent IPA with almost perfect balance and a nice hoppy taste.

ChadPolenz (1817) - Lakeland, Florida, USA - JUL 16, 2011
India Pale Ale is probably my favorite style of beer due to the inherent robustness and attractiveness beers of this style tend to have. Most are brewed with various types of hops to create for different flavors and aromas. Founders Centennial IPA is one of the rare "single hopped" IPAs on the market today, meaning it uses only Centennial hops for everything including aroma, kettle, and dry hopping. The result is a very impressive beer that is packed with flavor, smells great, and is highly drinkable all around. How’d they do that?!

I poured a 12oz bottle into a tulip glass.

Appearance: Slightly hazy marmalade/flame hue with little carbonation, but produces a big, fluffy, white, frothy head. It retains very well and leaves plenty of lacing on the glass.

Smell: Orange, tangerine, mango and guava with light floral undertones. There’s also a candy or perfume-like sweetness.

Taste: IPAs are supposed to be bitter, but they’re also supposed to have genuine flavor and Founders Centennial IPA has both all the time. As soon as the beer hits my lips I get quite intense dry bitterness. This sensation lasts until shortly after the beer has exited my mouth. This bitterness is delivered via a tropical fruit juice-like flavor which is very tasty and even a little refreshing while it’s in the mouth. The hops linger on my tongue and create for a very chalky/doughy flavor, but the juicy components of the palate somehow stick around as well. I also notice a powdered candy-like sweetness (i.e. Smarties, Sweet Tarts) that goes hand-in-hand with the bitterness. The malts are most likely creating for this taste, which is slightly biscuity - a flavor not often found in American IPAs of this caliber.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied with low carbonation but never feels "flat" or tepid.

Drinkability: For such an overtly bitter and dry beer, Centennial IPA is surprisingly smooth. The hops definitely linger here and dry out my tongue. Probably an idea beer to have with dinner. The 7.2% ABV seems right as it definitely made itself known on my system after just one bottle.

Overall, an impressive beer for many reasons and one of the few brews that finishes as strong as it begins. A must-drink for hopheads

tomciccateri (1034) - Albuquerque, New Mexico, USA - JUL 15, 2011
On draught at Bilbo Baggins in Alexandria,VA. Pours a deep cooper color with sid white head and big hop aroma. Medium body with big hop over malt flavor. Nice well balanced IPA.

steelhead3686 (270) - Jacksonville, North Carolina, USA - JUL 15, 2011
This beer pours a dark wheat color with a medium white head out of the bottle. There is a strong hops aroma with a hint of caramel. There is a medium taste with a light body and a quick finish.

Wernst (3) - Peoria, Illinois, USA - JUL 14, 2011 does not count
I have had their double trouble, which is way better. For an easy to find brew, I think it is worth drinking every now and again.