overall
RATINGS: 2715   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.79/5   IBU: 65   EST. CALORIES: 216   ABV: 7.2%
Selected as a benchmark for the Beer Judge Certification Program used in all American based beer judgings. Centennial IPA has quickly become the IPA of choice. Pour yourself a pint of this complex flavorful ale and bask in the frothy head’s floral bouquet. Relish the immense citrus accents, achieved by the abundance of dry hopping. This ale’s sweet, malty undertones balance the hop character with a finish that never turns too bitter.

AceOfHearts (1374) - Mountain View, California, USA - OCT 15, 2002
As I poured it I momentarily forgot what I was about to drink because I was talking to someone else and when I smelled it, it made me look objectively for a second at what's so good about an IPA. Nice sharp fruity smell that mellows out a bit into the flavor. Grapefruit, lawn clippings, orange. Dry finish, a credible IPA although perhaps a bit unoriginal.

brownalegirl (199) - Fountain, Michigan, USA - AUG 28, 2002
I actually like this well enough to finish a glass, and I usually don't like outrageosuly hoppy fare. The solid malt backbone, though, earned my appreciation.

jsquire (4599) - St. Marys, Ohio, USA - AUG 26, 2002
Out of my bottle there was a stong floral, citrus nose. I did not pour carefully enough and got floaties in the glass, which impaired the pale orange color. There was a nice head with an almost greenish hue. There were sharp citrus flavors with apple/peach fruit tones. I thought there were plenty of hops in this IPA.

bubslang (438) - Kentwood, Michigan, USA - AUG 25, 2002
UPDATED: AUG 15, 2003 Re-Rate: Have had a few times since initial rating and I'm upping it a tad.cloudy orange color, nice floral and citrus hop aroma and flavor, that is balanced nicely with a pleasant malt backbone. A nice solid IPA

jazz88 (2699) - San Francisco, California, USA - JUL 11, 2002
Bottle. This golden colored unfiltered beer had murky floating particles in the glass. A rounded, smooth, chewy (malty), almost sweet IPA. I thought it had a fairly clear hop aroma.

Yakbreath (13) - Macomb, Michigan, USA - FEB 27, 2002
Of IPA's, this should not be considered one. Very little hop aroma and the taste is weak. If you want to try a good beer from this brewer, stick with the Porter.

vanabbema99 (13) - Grand Rapids, Michigan, USA - AUG 14, 2001
I just had this beer on draft at the brewery, and enjoyed it very much. My main 'problem' with this beer is that, simlar to what others have commented on here, it seems quite malty for an IPA. Bottom line for me is taste, though, and this has the hops and tastes great.

Kaya161 (1142) - San Diego, California, USA - MAY 28, 2001
Clearly not an IPA. No hop aroma overly malt balanced and heavily sour grapefruit flavours.

P-tor44 (886) - Anchorage, Alaska, USA - MAY 26, 2001
Didn't have the over whelming hoppy taste I expected and often ejoy. Yet it is still quality for a founders product. Update 5-26-01: Grape Fruit anyone

1.3
bipolar1 (268) - Hancock, Michigan, USA - FEB 28, 2001
UPDATED: APR 1, 2005 The sediment was outrageous here. I don’t know if I got an old batch, but there were huge chunks, and the taste was sort of pissy for a supposed IPA.