overall
RATINGS: 1806   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.77/5   SEASONAL: Spring   IBU: 50   EST. CALORIES: 294   ABV: 9.8%
This Old Ale conjures up thoughts of classic sea fairing ports, there local pubs and the weathered fisherman that frequent them. In traditional style Curmudgeon is brewed with an intense focus on the malt bill creating a very strong, rich, malty characteristic and a sweetness indicative of its cousin the barleywine. We are especially proud of the balance in this beer making it deceptively smooth and drinkable at 9.8% alcohol by volume.
Editor’s Note - The 2006 bottled version has been aged in bourbon barrels.

mixmasterob (1060) - Atlanta, Georgia, USA - JUL 12, 2010
UPDATED: AUG 2, 2012 Bottle. Poured a clear reddish orange with no head although some lace was left behind. Aroma was of a lot of malts, some caramel, maybe some acidulated? Subtle sweet aroma from the malts, some fruit (raisins?), and some heat from the alcohol. Light carbonation led to a a full and oily mouthfeel. Nice finish, an extremely smooth and lasting bitterness. This seemed like a mellowed out barley wine to me, very nice indeed. The near 10% alcohol fooled me. Not my favorite style but I enjoyed this one. Update: This has become one of my all time favorite beers. It’s delicate and robust at the same time. So smooth it’s not fair. One of the best crafted ales I have come across since I began this journey. Top shelf. Yes, this is my favorite beer.

travelguy (7) - USA - JUL 10, 2016 does not count
This ale has it nailed. Aroma of sweet caramel. Just enough hops to balance the rich molasses flavor. Mouth feel is big, rich and smooth. The best in class.