overall
RATINGS: 1800   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.77/5   SEASONAL: Spring   IBU: 50   EST. CALORIES: 294   ABV: 9.8%
This Old Ale conjures up thoughts of classic sea fairing ports, there local pubs and the weathered fisherman that frequent them. In traditional style Curmudgeon is brewed with an intense focus on the malt bill creating a very strong, rich, malty characteristic and a sweetness indicative of its cousin the barleywine. We are especially proud of the balance in this beer making it deceptively smooth and drinkable at 9.8% alcohol by volume.
Editor’s Note - The 2006 bottled version has been aged in bourbon barrels.

leah2974 (453) - Georgia, USA - MAR 23, 2013
Pours a dark caramel color with small head. Aroma of brown sugar. Sweet, smooth caramel malts, maple sweetness. Very good.

BeerKurve (520) - - MAY 15, 2013
Dark Hazy Orange all around. Has an aroma of oak, chocolate, caramel and citrus hops. Flavor is strong oak, caramel, citra-hops, caramel and a very strong malty backbone. Body is heavy but carbonation is light; Very very thick thanks to the molasses but a pleasure to drink! I think I may have found my new favorite beer from Founders!

SPDickerman (1239) - Texas, USA - MAY 24, 2015
Pours mahogany with a small beige fizz. Smells malty, caramel, toffee, and a touch of alcohol. Taste is sweet, malty, toffee, and soft red fruits. Full-bodied with a smooth texture and soft mouth-carbonation, Founders Curmudgeon Old Ale finishes with a soft candied fruit sweetness.

rb (15) - Saint Paul, Minnesota, USA - NOV 17, 2007
orage-brown colour, fruity scent, somewhat strong, off-white head, very decent alcohol volume

ChuxBeer23 (10) - Chagrin Falls, Ohio, USA - SEP 30, 2008
Interestingly rich pour that doesn’t allow any carbonation to form. It won’t even allow you to see into the glass. Malty, with a refreshingly clean and snappy finish. Butterscotch. Alcohol. Well-crafted. Awesome.

wickster (85) - fort wayne, Indiana, USA - AUG 21, 2010
Now this is a sipping beer! Fantastic aroma, almost a charred wood smell to it with a sweetness rivaling a barleywine. Pours a dark amber with lots of sediment floaties (this was sitting in my beer fridge for a while I must admit) Personally I find this one best after sitting out in its glass for about 10 minutes so it warms up a tad.

albinotron (36) - Louisville, Kentucky, USA - JAN 12, 2011
I really love this beer. Its the first and only old ale that I’ve tried, but it has enticed me to try more. Aroma is very much of caramel malt. Appearance is a hazy amber with no head. Taste is a nice combination of sweet and a little bitterness. I don’t know how, but I feel like I can taste the aging. Very little carbonation. I loved this beer.

fernans (55) - Rhode Island, USA - OCT 21, 2012
Rare air here. Shockingly smooth considering the high alcohol. Complex. Taste starts hints of cloves and earthy notes. The middle is honey. The end has a pleasent hoppy bitterness. Nothing over powers. Excellent!

gonzosauce (157) - Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA - JUN 28, 2013
Far and away my favorite Old Ale. Faint malt aroma that is surprisingly reserved. In appearance - I swear it’s red, but it’s brown. Tastes like strawberries without the sweetness - which is lovely. On the palate - where’s the booze? Incredibly hidden heat, but not warming. Never had it tasting as good as my most recent glass - far more mellow than usual.

E_leap (13) - Wollongong, AUSTRALIA - JUL 6, 2016
What a beautiful aged ale!, dark golden color, with light brown head, showcasing the sensational malts, and the molasses been used to brew this amazing beer, the aromas of sweet malts, with elegant hits of oak, and spices from the barrel aging, taste of lightly roasted malts, and the taste of the barrel aging is breath taking, the texture is full bodied , and very creamy, smooth and very easy to drink.