overall
RATINGS: 2514   WEIGHTED AVG: 3.74/5   IBU: 50   EST. CALORIES: 255   ABV: 8.5%
Founders flagship beer. Dirty Bastard is an absolute beautiful beer to behold. Dark ruby in color and brewed with ten varieties of imported malts this beer continuously lives up to its reputation as a bold and powerful ale. Dirty Bastard is complex in the finish with hints of smoke and peat paired with a malty richness, finalized with a good bit of hop attitude. This beer “ain’t fer the wee lads”

raindog (560) - Evansville, Indiana, USA - DEC 4, 2002
Dark mahogany,with a thin,rocky,consistent head.Very pretty lacework.Aromas of alcohol,nuts,and grain.No shortage of hops in the aroma either.Alcohol is quite dominant.Palate is soft but,no lacking.Flavor is more promising than aroma leads to believe.Malty,rummy,brown sugar flavors.Finish is deeply warming with a floral hop tingle and a spicy alcohol wallop. Good,strong,clean tasting beer but a little out of the Scottish style.

TAR (2787) - Blue Ridge Mountains, North Carolina, USA - DEC 2, 2002
UPDATED: JUL 11, 2006 The pour yields an impressive rocky, tan, and sticky foam. Quality nose of dark bread, rum, very grainy malt, pecan, apple, cinnamon, honey, and an unusual-to-the-style faint tropical fruit hop character. Only a slight phenolic hint lies beneathe this nearly flawless aroma. Zero trace of peated malt. A plethora of flavors lay on this silky palate: extremely warming alcohol, cinnamon toast lingering with cardboardish malt, coconut, pineapple, fig, burnt sugar hint, coarse hop feel, and almost a numbing medicinal malt note that outshines the remainder of the brew’s flavors. A quality example, which is very aggressive when found fresh. Reminds me of a lessened Double Bastard. Absolutely boastful in the malt and hop department.

AustinMilbarge (681) - Denver, Colorado, USA - NOV 29, 2002
First off, I like going to Founder's. It's one of those places where you can throw your peanut shells on the floor. It overlooks the Grand River and is in a part of Grand Rapids where they're starting to redo all the buildings. Anyway, this was a great dark beer. Fairly heavy, but not too much so. I would get this one again.

tourette (225) - Seattle, Washington, USA - NOV 8, 2002
What a beer!!! This has to be the best scotch ale I've ever had. The waitress at Founder's told us it was the best in the world, and we just laughed. But after drinking it, I think she was right. Ultra complex, slightly sweet, roasty, nutty, with lots more going on that I can't even identify. Its very full bodied and quite smooth. This is an Imperial Scottish Ale as far as I'm concerned. :)

slinkymello (137) - Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA - NOV 2, 2002
Wow... I can't believe we're talking about the same beer here? My god; I mean, taking away the fact that the aroma is fairly non-existant... the flavor and palate is spectacular. Roasted cherries, grapes and some nut, seemed to change consistency in my mouth almost... from a thin start to an instantaneous switch to full bodied, creamy and finishing off by trickling slowly down the throat, revealing the smokey, nut dry finish that was quite nice, this beer had it all... I honestly can't figure out why this beer is rated so low; maybe I was on crack or something, who knows. Perhaps it was the unrelenting flavor...

007lund (92) - Ann Arbor, USA - NOV 1, 2002
Very complex with all kinds of different subtle tastes. Very smooth, long finish, good body. This is the best Scottish ale I've had.

npdempse (934) - St. Petersburg, Florida, USA - OCT 16, 2002
Don't know why this beer is taking such a beating here. I found it to be a really pleasant brew with sweet, fruity flavor balanced by a nice hint of smokiness and a good shot of bitterness (Fuggles?).

brownalegirl (199) - Fountain, Michigan, USA - AUG 28, 2002
Absolutely gorgeous garnet color without any head to speak of. Not much of an aroma, either. The taste confused me - I was thinking high hops at first before I realized what I was tasting was smoke. Maybe I'd had too many brews. Anyway, not all that pleasant to me.

Zach Diesel (905) - Sisters, Oregon, USA - AUG 8, 2002
burgundy color, smooth, fruity sour then nice and bitter choclate with a slight alcohol bite

pauliefrog99 (302) - FLINT, Michigan, USA - JUL 31, 2002
Very smooth and creamy. I picked up some smoke and malt. It was pretty good stuff.