overall
RATINGS: 2153   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.1/5   SEASONAL: Winter   IBU: 75   EST. CALORIES: 315   ABV: 10.5%
A fine companion to end a meal or relax in front of the hearth with, this robust ale will cellar well for years. Brewed with ten varieties of malted barley this stout is extremely smooth, complex and rich in body. We recommend serving at cellar temperature. Sit back and enjoy its richness and complexity, you’re about to drink the ultimate winter warmer.

Sregnar35 (1033) - Rotterdam, New York, USA - APR 24, 2012
Pours motor oil with a dark brown head, perfect. Flavor is sweet and hoppy, tangy and bitter, but all very smooth without overpowering, well done. ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

Onenote81 (1002) - Winston-Salem, North Carolina, USA - APR 24, 2012
Originally reviewed: 5/12/09. This beer pours so thick and syrupy and black, I thought I was changing my oil. I thought I would find chunks in this thing, it was so thick. Decent tawny brown head on top. Excellent sip rings stick to the glass as well. Smells of deep chocolate tones and heavy coffee. Some sweet creamy bready scent in there as well. Mouthfeel is very thick and creamy. This thing leaves a film on the tongue. I felt like I could chew this. Flavor is of wine, grape juice, alcohol, and finishes like bitter black coffee. This is crazy good. Very impressive stout. I’ve been hanging on to this for a few months and it did not disappoint.

Sleuthdogg (31) - Illinois, USA - APR 21, 2012
A: This Founders offering pours a dark black with about a one fingers size head. The head color reminds me of the color of chocolate ice cream. I see some tiny bubbles fighting to squeeze in between each other along the edge of the glass. Seemed to pour rather thick as it seemed to "chug" out of the bottle. There is some nice moderate to heavy lacing. S: Upfront I get the roasted/char character. I also get expresso/coffee beans and dark bakers chocolate. There is an ever so slight hop character present and very light alcohol scent. T: On first taste I get the charred/roasted characteristics and the chocolate notes. This has a very distinct bitter chocolate taste like dark chocolate but more like unsweetened dark chocolate. I definitely get the hop bitterness on both the initial taste and the swallow/after taste. The alcohol is almost non existent. M: Not as viscous as I thought it would be after pouring. It has a nice balance between the carbonation and what I’m used to in a big stout for a change of pace. This beer leaves the palate fairly quickly after swallowing, which also surprised me. O: I enjoyed this beer as a change from other stouts, probably because of the bigger hop character. I also enjoyed the lack of sweetness as a change of pace. I have 3 more in the cellar and am interested to see what some age does to this one.

motorhed (10) - Maple Grove, Minnesota, USA - APR 15, 2012
Purchased a 4 pack a week ago. Poured into a pint glass. A: Jet black and what looks to be as thick as motor oil. Poured into a pint glass, about an inch and a half of dark brown head. Massive amounts of lacing even before taking the first sip. S: Dark chocolate and smoke is what i primarily pick up in this brew. Some roasted malt. T: First thing that comes to mind is hugely bitter up front followed by some coffee, chocolate, roasted malt, and alcohol on the finish. M: Full bodied with medium level of carbonation. Feels velvety smooth and thick. O: This is always one of my favorites and i pick it up every year. This is fresh, i’d be curious how this beer ages after losing some bitterness. Love it the way it is but plan to celler some to see how it ages. If you’re looking for a well balanced, imperial stout that is big on bitterness, chocolate flavors, and roasted malt, pick this up. You wont be disappointed. Another fabulous brew from Founders. Serving type: bottle Reviewed on: 02-02-2012 02:32:04

crosamich (474) - Twin Falls, Idaho, USA - APR 13, 2012
Roasty, raw malt a bit like taking a whiff from my mashtun. Oily black, decent lacing, tan head. Thick, chewy mouthfeel coats the palate. I should have bought some of these to sit on for a code years. I might make this a permanent cellar addition. Edit, forgot to add all the ratings.

Ataraxia (587) - California, USA - APR 12, 2012
UPDATED: JAN 10, 2013 Pours oily black with a thin caramel-colored head. Sugary chocolate, toffee, plums, cherries, bread, roasted malts and a hint of smoke. Smooth, full-bodied, warming, and a long astringent finish. The alcohol is well hidden.

mansquito (7127) - Nueva York, New York, USA - APR 11, 2012
Total Wine & More, Fairfax 12oz ($3): Pours black with a tiny brown head. Aroma is chocolate and a whole lot of roasted malts. Not to mention, this beer doesn’t go light on the hop bitterness and hop aroma. That being said, the taste is very much on the intensely bitter side, with the hops supplementing the roasted malts in good form. Dark bitter chocolate is very much there as well. Aftertaste lingers and the oily mouthfeel persists.

AndresTM (434) - Texas, USA - APR 11, 2012
UPDATED: NOV 28, 2015 Impressive aroma, rich with all kinds of chocolate, caramel, honey, prunes, and a sting of alcohol. The 2015 also had a note of banana that I do not recall from previous releases, which were more seducing all told. The pour is jet black and the head is persistent and espresso-colored, with some lacing going on as well. Gorgeous. The mouthfeel is thick--quite thick as a matter of fact, with barely existing carbonation. I absolutely love it. The taste is sweet and bitter, with fruity undertones, molasses, cocoa, and lots of chocolate showing up. It’s also got a vinous quality to it, but the finish is dry and tarry. A coffee / 75% chocolate note lingers under the palate. The alcohol content makes it a good nightcap. Quite great.

tom10101 (6297) - Quebec, CANADA - APR 9, 2012
UPDATED: MAY 19, 2012 Bottle 355 ml. Appearance: Pours pitch black with a medium brown dense head. Aroma: Chocolate!, roasted malt, coffee and alcohol. Taste: Very sweet. Chocolate (!), roasted malt and coffee. Warming alcohol. Slight bitterness at the end. Initial mouthfeel is creamy, but become oily/sirupy. Overall: Nice straightforward imperial stout. Not as complex as KBS, but a very good one (and easier to find). Impressive for non BA beer.

anders8000 (390) - aarhus.c., DENMARK - APR 9, 2012
Brewed with ten varieties of malted barley this stout is extremely smooth, complex and rich in body. This is a strong beer, allmost black.