overall
RATINGS: 2154   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.1/5   SEASONAL: Winter   IBU: 75   EST. CALORIES: 315   ABV: 10.5%
A fine companion to end a meal or relax in front of the hearth with, this robust ale will cellar well for years. Brewed with ten varieties of malted barley this stout is extremely smooth, complex and rich in body. We recommend serving at cellar temperature. Sit back and enjoy its richness and complexity, you’re about to drink the ultimate winter warmer.

Thingus (29) - Missouri, USA - NOV 21, 2012
Taken from my BA account, reveiwed 2/29/12 Live tasting, 12 oz. bottle into small Delerium tulip... Appearance; pours an incredibly thick, oily, inky black color... Solid in the glass, and I only managed to get a third of a finger of lush brown head with a fairly vigorous pour. Retention is basically nil, with what little head there is falling in about a minute... Lacing is really good with a lot of sticky light khaki head... Smell; Cofffee and chocolate jump right out at me, hints of alcohol and roasted malts... Taste; definitely in line with the smell, an ever so slight warming sensation from the alcohol, but the ABV is very well hidden! Mouthfeel; velvety and lush, thick and viscous, undoubtedly full bodied, a stout you can really sink your teeth into... Beautiful. Overall; this is yet another incredible beer in the Founders portfolio... Absolutely fantastic and worth seeking out.

hoppopotomous (29) - youngstown, Ohio, USA - AUG 22, 2014
Just cracked one..I have bad allergies tonight and that aroma still comes through.this is a really good beer..I think its going to be my go to winter brew..I might even have to find a clone recipe and brew this myself..

Seabass1964 (28) - Paragould, Arkansas, USA - APR 26, 2014
Very nice imperial stout as we all have grown to expect from a great Brewer like Founders. One of the best non-BA Stouts I’ve had. The perfect blend of coffee, vanilla, cocoa, and maltiness. I could drink this every day.

Tanksley (28) - Oceanside, California, USA - DEC 18, 2011
The malt body on this one is varied and complex: the coffee/chocolate complexity is balanced well with slight dark fruit flavors. Carbonation was good

lhharris (28) - Florida, USA - JUN 20, 2012
Drank out of a snifter pours black with very small dark tan head that disappeared quickly. Aroma of chocolate and coffee. Tasted dark chocolate, coffee and black licorice. Was surprised I didn't taste any of the alcohol. Mouth feel was nice and full bodied. Overall I really enjoyed this beer and wish I was able to find this in Tampa. ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

S1ckboy (27) - - APR 27, 2011
Average imperial stout. Typical flavors, chocolate, roasty, molasses. Nothing too special here for me.

micieli6000 (27) - New York, USA - AUG 6, 2014
Pours jet black with a nice creamy head. Mouthfeel has a great coffee taste and a thick creamy palate. Yet another fantastic Founders brew.

WoodersonMB (27) - Winnipeg, Manitoba, CANADA - FEB 2, 2013
Pretty much perfection. Chocolate, coffee and a hint of vanilla on the nose. Overwhelming chocolate, coffee and nuttiness when drinking. Holy crap, I think I’m in heaven.

pjaco (27) - - JAN 24, 2014
A truly well balanced imperial stout - excellent color, aroma, a taste without an overbearing abv. Excellant.

myersk27 (26) - Indianapolis, Indiana, USA - JAN 8, 2012
Aroma: smells robust, rich, sweet molasses and chocolates. the smell makes you want to drink it. appearance: jet black, thick dark tan head recedes quickly, moderate lacing on the glass. taste: robust, sweet, this one takes you places. thick mouthfeel. dark, rich, very very tasty overall: awesome brew. served at cellar temp. doesn’t disappoint at all. great brew from a great brewery.