overall
RATINGS: 2559   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.28/5   SEASONAL: Spring   IBU: 70   EST. CALORIES: 336   ABV: 11.2%
A bit of backwoods pleasure without the banjo. This strong stout is brewed with a hint of coffee and vanilla then aged in oak bourbon barrels. Our process ensures that strong bourbon undertones come through in the finish in every batch we brew. We recommend decanting at room temperature and best enjoyed in a brandy snifter.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
dreadnord (1012) - San Diego, California, USA - MAR 27, 2012
2008 bottle. Pours thick black and has a small brown head that recedes quickly. Nose is strong vanilla, rich alcohol notes, nuts, wood, coffee and chocolate. Minor smoke notes too. Flavor is perfectly balanced bitter and sweet. Mouthfeel is fizzy yet creamy. Super long aftertaste. ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

pickydrunkguy (1) - Indiana, USA - MAR 26, 2012 does not count
The way God would want a beer to taste. Super duper yummy. Here is a video of my rating. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4oc3_WKzw20

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
poibag808 (14) - Hawaii, USA - MAR 26, 2012
2012 bottle thanks to mikem409. Pours pitch black with about a 1/4 finger head. As it pours you get beautiful bourbon and vanilla aromas. First sip has heavy chocolate and vanilla, not much alcohol as I expected from the aroma. nice velvet mouthfeel. An amazing beer, wish it was more widely available.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 20/20
Art (3212) - Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA - MAR 26, 2012
UPDATED: JUN 19, 2013 Bought 2 bottles of KBS from a 6pack shop. 2012 vintage. Pours a black color, thick like motor oil. You can see it stick to the glass. Smells of coffee and alcohol. Some chocolate too. Perfect mouth feel. Tastes slightly bitter with little bourbon flavor. Pretty good but I think I prefer the original breakfast stout. Edit: Aged one of the bottles for roughly 8 months. All I can say is wow. If you have the opportunity to drink a properly aged KBS, dont pass it up although I think I prefer fresh. It changes completely. Traded 1:1 at the 2013 KBS release for a 11 and a 12. Drinking the 2+ year old 11 and it is still a deliciously sweet mellow bourbon beer but it has completely lost all the coffee that makes it so great while fresh.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Minderbinder (3460) - Qubec, Quebec, CANADA - MAR 26, 2012
Bottle 355 ml. Pours black, with almost no head (tiny brown?). Aroma is of coffee, vanilla, alchool and roasted malt. Taste is coffee, vanilla, warming alchool, roasted malt and oak. Full bodied, alchool well-evolving through the sip, dry finish. Serious stuff.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
northropfrye (3443) - Steinbach, Manitoba, CANADA - MAR 26, 2012
Thanks to dresden for this one. Stunning. Dark black with brown head. Beautiful looking. Aromatic with dark roasted malts, chocolate, coffee, sweet bourbon, vanilla, dried fruit. Taste is sweet and malty balanced with dark chocolate bitterness. Excellent stuff!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 20/20
djbow (2) - Maryland, USA - MAR 25, 2012 does not count
Appearance: Used motor oil BLACK. No light is getting through this one. Finger and 1/2 brown head of tight bubbles that dissipate rapidly. This is impressive for a 11.25% ABV beer. Great glass lacing and lots of alcohol legs. Smell: Chocolate, coffee, vanilla, bourbon, cherry, rich caramel malt and a slight alcohol sent. Palate: Medium thick, velvety mouth feel. The carbonation is very mild and there is very little alcohol heat. Goes down smooth. Almost too smooth. Taste: Follow the smell. Chocolate, coffee, vanilla, bourbon, oak, cherry and rich caramel malt. All these flavors are perfectly balanced. The big alcohol in this beer is completely masked. Overall: EXCELLENT example of the Imperial Stout Barrel aged style. I will drink this any time I can get it. Just wish it were more available. As for the KBS haters, if you dont like Imperial Stouts dont drink them or rate them. Stick to your wimpy low flavor Lagers and leave more KBS for those of us who appreciate it.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 16/20
BeerFred (11) - North Carolina, USA - MAR 25, 2012
UPDATED: MAR 27, 2012 Pours dark brown - motor oil... Brown head. Nice lacing. Aroma is all malt and bourbon. In the mouth this is a powerhouse - bourbon, malt, vanilla with caramel ... and then a lingering bourbon and coffee finish. A unique and delicious brew, although maybe not quite as good as the hype.

AROMA 4/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 1/5   OVERALL 6/20
cheap (5699) - Beaver Valley, Beaver County, Pennsylvania, USA - MAR 25, 2012
I write this review with apprehension, once again I am faced with a brew, on tap, that is beloved by so m any of my peers. Many, to my chagrin, jump on the bandwagon and say they love this stuff, reminiscent of expedition stout. To start, I am not a fan of impy stouts so when I first saw this, I thought to pass it by. However, how many times do you see the notorious KBS on tap? For awhile, I never even knew what KBS was, heheh, even tho everybody on my local blog spout on and on about it! KBS this and KBS that and KBS is on tap here and there; wtf is KBS I thought to myself? BS where I come from stands for...well...you know. So, I figured I better try this before it was gone and at $12 per 8 oz glass, everybody around me was gobbling this up and it looked like it would not be there for long. Keep in mind, I rate beers by how much I like them, so take my rating with a grain of salt. Out of the tap this stuff was big and black with a thin chocolate moose head, heheh. Smell is like refined volatile stout, as many impy stouts smell. First taste is big alky laced coffee but I must admit, the alky portion is not as harsh or rude as I thought it would be but there it is, big whiskey alky thing. Perhaps this separates it from the standard BS. Bitter strong nasty and over the top; terribly on impy stout style. Difficult example of a beer, yet not unrefined. Not sure what my peers see in this brew, it sometimes almost invokes a gag reflex. Sweet and nearly cloying backbone. Big long rude bitter finish makes this a beer to be reckoned with. Did not find much difference between this, except the whiskey thing, and any other of the founders breakfast stouts Ive tasted. Certainly not worth the double in price. Will never drink again, way too much for the girlie taste buds of this refined lager lover. Its typical for most on this site to present accolades to most anything that is imperial stout, check out the top 50; and most of the beer experts here claim to rate by style - balderdash!

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 7/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
canary dog (760) - Rutland, Vermont, USA - MAR 24, 2012
Immediate warmth and vanilla notes in the nose, followed by a firm coffee presence. Dark, dark, and rich. Heavy, roasted, rich, and warm notes engulf the palate. Vanilla is tastefully understated but represented. Finish is quite heavy and sweet, and rather velvety. The palate is remarkable and perhaps a little more so than the overall taste. Initially a little more sweet than what I like, but I warmed to it a bit. A remarkable beer to be enjoyed very moderately.