overall
RATINGS: 2386   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.28/5   SEASONAL: Spring   IBU: 70   EST. CALORIES: 336   ABV: 11.2%
A bit of backwoods pleasure without the banjo. This strong stout is brewed with a hint of coffee and vanilla then aged in oak bourbon barrels. Our process ensures that strong bourbon undertones come through in the finish in every batch we brew. We recommend decanting at room temperature and best enjoyed in a brandy snifter.

radioscooter (41) - Pennsylvania, USA - APR 5, 2011
Late to the party on this one but happy to be here. And hey - the bros. havent done a review yet either! Poured into my new little "Dry Dock" taster glass I got in my first ever BIF trade. Thought I did an aggressive pour but got zero head. Pitch black. When I swirl it, I get a mollasses syrupy coating on the glass and a teensy bit of cafe brown foam that dissipates very quickly. Smells bourbony, coffee-ish. Maybe too much coffee for me. Well see. Not getting much, if any vanilla or oak. Too cold. Aaaand way too much coffee grounds taste for me. Guess thats why its a breakfast stout. I get it now. Not going to drainpour but not lovin it. Maybe it will sweeten as it warms up. Nope. Sorry, not my style but I can see why some folks love it.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
experiencehaze (6) - California, USA - APR 4, 2011 does not count
pitch black with a thick creamy dark head. aroma of dark malts with bittersweet chocolate as the dominate smell. a wonderfully creamy mouthfeel that compliments the smell of the beer perfectly. taste is of dark chocolate and there is a slight presence of alcohol which balances nicely with the flavors in the beer.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 16/20
Sammer (1118) - Plano, Texas, USA - APR 4, 2011
Shoe polish black pour from bottle with a thin head. Tasted side by side with Founders Breakfast Stout. Taste is complex, with hints of booze, coffee, cocoa powder and burnt wood. Firm kick to the finish. Boozy and excellent, this one should be sipped and enjoyed. And for what it is worth, I prefer this one to the Breakfast Stout (although both were great).

Ulfada (257) - North Carolina, USA - APR 2, 2011
Decadently black pour. Thin tan head. Very bourbon aroma. Thick malt flavor with vanilla and bourbon. The flavor is so good that I have seen grown men beg and plead for a 4 pack. Sad really, although I personally would lick this beer off the floor......freaking awesome.

manuchampions (1244) - Vancouver, British Columbia, CANADA - APR 1, 2011
Bottle in trade. Pours a very dark brown with a small delicious dark brown head. Aroma is roasted coffee and caramel, slight woody booziness. Appearance and aroma alone are very enticing. Flavour matches the aroma and the bourbon becomes more apparent as the glass empties. Lighter body than I was expecting. Deep, layered and delicious without being a mallet to the head. Very good.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
drabmuh (194) - Maryland, USA - MAR 31, 2011
2010 release, had to try it, couldnt wait. Poured into a goblet. Beer is black and appears thick. Forms a thin head of brown bubbles that is diffuse on the surface and quickly breaks. Head leaves some lacing on the glass, carbonation is low. For being aged in bourbon barrels, I expected a little more booze. Strong sweet, coffee aroma. Booze and bourbon secondary in the nose. Smells good, not as forward with the bourbon as I thought the BCS is in general. Still smells good. Its not hot, moderate in body, finishes nicely. Sweet up front, not a lot of bitterness in the back, highly drinkable in the palate. Second taste, chocolate, slight, hint of bitter this time in the back, like coffee. Overall an exceptional beer truly. Serving type: bottle Served in a snifter, beer looks as you might expect. Black, thick, brown thin head carbonation low to moderate. Head leaves minimal lacing on the glass. The aroma of the beer is mostly sweetness, a slight tinge of alcohol and some roast. The flavor is much more subtle as far as the bourbon flavors are concerned. Its smooth and really drinkable, the overall barrel flavor is there and it rounds out the beer but its not as good as the Canadian. I need to get the breakfast and the Kentucky breakfast and do a side-by-side. There is more bitterness in the back on this one than the others, overall its pretty good. Not my favorite barrel aged imperial stout though. Serving type: on-tap

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
Brewchacho4 (71) - Vancouver, WA, Washington, USA - MAR 30, 2011
UPDATED: MAY 13, 2011 Got to try this gem tonight thanks to chpueblo22; thanks man! Pours pitch black with a very thin, quickly dissipating tan head that leaves a little lacing on the glass. Whoa... this almost smells like straight bourbon! I love letting my family take a whiff of the beers Im rating, cuz theyre brutally honest. After handing this to my mom, she said, "Ugghhh! Thats not beer! Thats whiskey!" Right on the money! Once you get past that HUGE bourbon kick in the teeth, theres a subtle earthy cocoa aroma with hints of roasted coffee and oak. Flavor is a heavy bourbon booziness, roasted coffee, dark cocoa, and subtle vanilla. Pretty thin bodied for an imperial stout; not as syrupy as I was expecting, but maybe its good that it threw a curveball. Ive heard thats what this beer does, and now I know why! Overall, one of the most complex and outright booziest stouts Ive ever had. After drinking about two-thirds of the way through, I was feeling a little buzzed, and I shared a 12oz. bottle with a friend!!! Really great stuff!

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Jesterdeal (1985) - Marlton, New Jersey, USA - MAR 30, 2011
Aroma is dark coffee. Appears black with a small brown head. Tastes a lot of coffee with a real sweet bourbon body. Very enjoyable and not overbearing. I could drink this all night if I had the tolerance.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
Macegan75 (820) - Phoenixville, Pennsylvania, USA - MAR 30, 2011
I cant believe I never rated this. Just picked up 2 four packs. Pours a dark black with tan head that leaves nice lacing which lingers. The nose is tobacco, chickory, whisky & roasted coffee. First sip is unblievably smooth. Beautiful dark roasted flavors transition to a warming sweet bourbon flavor. Dark chocolate lingers with a touch of tobacco. Truely a great beer.

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
chandler0201 (650) - Durham, North Carolina, USA - MAR 30, 2011
Poured black with a very small head, just some carbonation on top, no lacing. Overpowering aroma of bourbon, and some coffee and vanilla on the backend. You can really smell the bourbon from 5 feet away. Flavor is more bourbon, some wood oaking, and coffee, with a hint of chocolate. Drinkable but this stuff gives you a head rush after only 10oz. Feels stronger than 11% ABV for some reason, though does not affect rating at all.