overall
RATINGS: 2580   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.27/5   SEASONAL: Spring   IBU: 70   EST. CALORIES: 336   ABV: 11.2%
A bit of backwoods pleasure without the banjo. This strong stout is brewed with a hint of coffee and vanilla then aged in oak bourbon barrels. Our process ensures that strong bourbon undertones come through in the finish in every batch we brew. We recommend decanting at room temperature and best enjoyed in a brandy snifter.

2016 vintage - 12.4% abv

desflurane313 (2) - Farmington Hills, Michigan, USA - JAN 12, 2013 does not count
Very strong bourbon aroma with coffee and cocoa. Heavy bourbon on the palate very earthy with a slight mild vanilla finish. ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

mrpositron (14) - - JAN 4, 2013
chocolate, coffee, roasty, toast, caramel, alcohol glorious, though I’m not sure it’s significantly better than other more available alternatives.

wchesser (2082) - Denver, Colorado, USA - DEC 30, 2012
UPDATED: AUG 4, 2013 Feb. ’12 bottle enjoyed with about 10 months of age. Very thick. Medium bitter chocolate on nose as well as vanilla, with a little coffee. Coffee becomes more pronounced with warmth. Very dark roast espresso like. Expected more in the nose. I expected a much richer, sweeter flavor from this but was instead surprised to find that where this beer excels is instead in it’s incredible balance. Flavor of espresso, barrel, earthier vanilla, soy. Alcohol is extremely well hidden and bourbon is seamlessly integrated and very subtle. My second favorite in a big Boxing Day rare stout tasting after an ’09 BA Yeti. >>Rerate. ’12 bottle. Only about 4 months on since I tried the last one, but this seems to have mellowed very nicely. Coffee has moved back and this is just much better integrated. Still expected more bourbon, but this thing just excels in balance. >>rerate. ’13 bottle. About 4 months old. Hops much more present and mute coffee and sweeter aspects. Nice and interesting to compare to older vintage bottles.

bmerz (741) - Brooklyn, New York, USA - DEC 29, 2012
Bottled Feb 2012. Drank Dec 29, 2012. The aroma is a heady concoction of sweet dark chocolate, vanilla, bourbon, coffee, a little oxidation at this point but still quite hot. The flavor is very sweet, not cloying, rich with a little licorice and soy added to the aroma components carried through before a spicy and coffee bitter end. At first I got a little cardboard but that seems to have blown off. The mouthfeel isn’t as full or lively as a 4 month old Breakfast Stout but it is silken. The alcohol is active, hot, and drying through the middle and end. It’s been a few years since I’ve had this and it was a bit more larger-than-life in my mind than in my glass. It’s exceptionally well put together and balanced for how much is going on. The bourbon is in perfect proportion. I wish more breweries would exercise the same measure and not overdue the barrel soaking.

RobertDale (6560) - Lansing, Kansas, USA - DEC 27, 2012
12 ounce bottle. Thanks Joe! Pours midnight black with a very small tan head. Aroma of bourbon, malt, coffee, and chocolate. Taste is bourbon, roasted malt, dark chocolate, tart cherries, coffee, and wood. Most excellent!!

Crompt (122) - York, South Carolina, USA - DEC 26, 2012
This is the best bourbon stout I’ve ever tasted. Rich and creamy with a bourbon burn at the end but in the best way possible. This is the staple when it comes to bourbon stouts which is so balanced it is dangerous. If you ever get the chance to try this please do, I promise you won’t be disappointed!

tricyclist (1125) - Florida, USA - DEC 25, 2012
Half snifter pour of motor oil with a thin to no head. Nose is mild and rich, all at once. Dark chocolate and rich chocolate, but very smooth and nice. Flavor is super smooth and rich also. Same dark chocolate malt followed with rich coffee, light booziness on the back of rich bourbon. Very very drinkable for 13 percent. Amazing!

DesertDevil (699) - Arizona, USA - DEC 14, 2012
2010 bottle. Pours reddish dark with light bubbly head. Aroma of heavy smoke with burnt tinge and slight sweet bourbon. Taste of oak and slight smoke before moving into perfectly balanced smooth bourbon with awesome light lingering finish. Lighter palate than most imp. stouts.  Simply one of the best beers I’ve ever had.

tbadiuk (10) - Manitoba, CANADA - DEC 12, 2012
This one is tough to rate. The 2011 bottle I had a few months back was horrible compared to the 2012 bottle I opened this evening. This evenings bottle is the one I will rate, as I will chalk about the discrepency due to age. I do not recommend aging this one. A: Dark, dark, black. Like BCS, with a bit less carbonation, but still some life. S: borubon, bourbon,and some more bourbon, with hits of chocolate. To be fair, I sort of drank this too cold initially, and didn’t pay attention as much later to the smell. T: Wow. Brownie, Chocolate, and bourbon, as smoothly melded as can be. Completely different to the boozy mess that was the 2011 bottle which was my previous experience. Bottle variation or age? I need to drink more of this to find out. I pray I have more of the later (2012) experiences going forward than the 2011 experience I had a couple of months ago...

bytemesis (8541) - Sunnyvale, California, USA - NOV 29, 2012
Bottle - thanks Mike! Pours pitch black with a very small brown head that dissipates quickly with some lacing. Aroma is bourbon, dark roasted malts, coffee, cocoa powder. Flavor is about the same, notes of wood. Medium sweet, light coffee bitterness coming through on the finish. Bourbon flavors are ever present, but not overpowering. Body is medium plus, mouthfeel is creamy, carbonation is low.