overall
RATINGS: 2636   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.28/5   SEASONAL: Spring   IBU: 70   EST. CALORIES: 336   ABV: 11.2%
A bit of backwoods pleasure without the banjo. This strong stout is brewed with a hint of coffee and vanilla then aged in oak bourbon barrels. Our process ensures that strong bourbon undertones come through in the finish in every batch we brew. We recommend decanting at room temperature and best enjoyed in a brandy snifter.

csteele2144 (125) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - APR 5, 2012
2011 and 2012 bottle tasted side by side. Didnít really live up to the hype for me. Black pour with almost no head, Aroma chocolate, cocoa, bourbon, vanilla, and a hint of coffee. Taste bourbon, chocolate, coffee, roast, vanilla. Well done, but doesnít hold up to any of the bourbon county offerings.

brigg (672) - Washington DC, USA - APR 4, 2012
Pour very thick and black. Small dark brown head. Aroma is full of vanilla and bourbon notes; medium roasted coffee; caramelized sugar and chocolate. Full bodied and velvety; feels wonderful in the mouth. Flavor is predominately coffee and noticeable but not over powering bourbon. Sweetness throughout, even a bit in the finish but then the bitterness and alcohol overpower the sweetness.

cfrancis (3405) - Ottawa, Ontario, CANADA - APR 3, 2012
Pours a thick inky black with a dark brown frothy head that quickly disappears to a thin ring and some good lacing. Aroma is thick with coffee, roasted malts. Taste is full bodied, lotís of coffee and roasted malts. Good beer, but didnít live up the hype for me.

DrSilverworm (9671) - Cincinnati, Ohio, USA - APR 3, 2012
12oz bottle, bottled 2/17/12. Pours an opaque very dark brown, producing minimal brown head. Negligible lace. Great coffee chocolate bourbon nose. Excellent bitter dark chocolate bitter coffee flavor. Light carbonation, dry texture, excellent aftertaste.. a wonderful sipper, obviously. Nice, big chewy body. Great, roasty bitter sweet taste. Nice, woody and oaty components. Bourbon is not over the top here, a nice balance between the K and the BS. Just a bit of alcohol taste (which Iíd expect from a barrel-beer). While Iím lucky to have gotten to try this beer considering the hype itís relation to one of my favorite classic brews, I honestly prefer the regular FBS better... Not to say that I wouldnít be pleased if my single bottle was a whole 4-pack, though. One of the better barrel-brews Iíve ever had. Trying this on tap would be really cool.. Or aging a bottle. Iíll probably cellar if I manage to get this again next year.

emeinz (220) - Minnesota, USA - APR 2, 2012
2012 bottle poured into snifter. Nice aroma with lots of barrel on the nose. LOTS of bourbon barrel. Notes of coffee and vanilla. Black pour with a moderate tan head. Has a nice underlying sweetness that I appreciate. It was a little too hot with the barrel, but some age should mellow that out. Really liked the beer, but not easy to get a hold of. I wont chase bottles of this, but its too darn good of a beer to pass up if it falls into your lap (like this year)!

PGHbeer77 (571) - Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA - APR 2, 2012
Bottle. A boozy treat, but not worth the hoops I had to jump through here in Pittsburgh to get it. If itís more readily available in the future, I might pick it up, but otherwise, Iíll pass. The scent and taste was just as promised: bourbon, oat, malt, coffee, and a hint of vanilla (mainly in the finish once warmed). I also picked up a lot of chocolate as it warmed. The appearance was a typical stout, black with a tan head, but the palate really stood out, big old chunky thick body with a silky texture. Wonderful.

CaraCurtis (117) - Nevada, USA - APR 1, 2012
I count myself lucky I get to have such great beer. Bourbon presence. Dry, oatmeal. Creamy, smooth. Balance is beautiful. Itís all over good in your mouth and the palate is very nice. Hues of vanilla, alcohol, espresso. Cheers to a beautiful mouth full experience. Itís awesome to read that so many agree this beer lives up!

jweite70 (1) - Michigan, USA - APR 1, 2012 does not count
This is without a doubt one of the best examples of the style that Iíve ever had. The key to this beer is itís complexity. It manages to transition seamlessly from notes of vanilla, to coffee, and bourbon without any of them getting muddled. The balance is very impressive, especially considering the strong flavors being dealt with in this one. This is one of the few beers that actually has no trouble living up to the hype. Go get this one if you can.

bhiner41 (189) - Darien, Illinois, USA - MAR 31, 2012
What a great beer. Not as strong as I thought for an 11.2% beer. Excellent bourbon back note but the vanilla really shows and makes this a smooth sipping beer. ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

Rrauth (1196) - North Carolina, USA - MAR 31, 2012
Bottle. Pouts black with brown minimal head. Served at 57 degrees. Head disappears quickly. Smells like bourbon. Tastes like a smooth creamy bourbon drink. I think this is awesome. I could drink this almost every weekend day. Full body creamy body and texture. ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone