overall
RATINGS: 2691   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.27/5   SEASONAL: Spring   IBU: 70   EST. CALORIES: 336   ABV: 11.2%
A bit of backwoods pleasure without the banjo. This strong stout is brewed with a hint of coffee and vanilla then aged in oak bourbon barrels. Our process ensures that strong bourbon undertones come through in the finish in every batch we brew. We recommend decanting at room temperature and best enjoyed in a brandy snifter.

2016 vintage - 12.4% abv

jrodooo5 (1672) - DOVER, Delaware, USA - JUN 5, 2012
Aroma is slightly boozy w/ a hint of chocolate. Pours black with a thin dark tan head that fades into some nice lacing. The barrell aged flavoring really stands out. Kind of boozy on top of bitterness. Similar to the regular breakfast stout but surprisingly not as complex.

kazin (532) - Malmö, SWEDEN - JUN 5, 2012
Smooth, rich in vanilla and oaky bourbon-flavours, but not as heavy as I had hoped.

laiti (8468) - Tampere, FINLAND - JUN 3, 2012
UPDATED: AUG 31, 2014
35,5 cl bottle @ home. Rated on 11.06.2010
Aroma is very rich with lots of coffee, some chocolate and hints of vanilla. Flavour is also rather rich with coffee, semi‐dark chocolate, some vanilla, oaky notes and hints of licorice. Very tasty stuff for a coffee lover like me. A masterpiece.
9+4+9+5+17

35,5 cl bottle @ home
Bottle from a trade – thanks Jason!
Aroma has strong coffee notes, some licorice and bourbon. Smooth palate. Flavour starts with coffee and goes through strong whisky notes, passes the licorice valley with touch of salt and ends up with woody aftertaste with bourbon. And warms my throat afterwards. Still delicious! At the end of the glass the coffee steps a bit aside and bourbon tones take over.
9+4+9+4+17 = 4.3

JPDurden24 (1675) - Chandler, Arizona, USA - MAY 29, 2012
I had a vertical of this in late April. The older ones have gone a little stale. The most recent Pours a pitch black with a lot of bourbon, vanilla and coffee in the nose with similar flavors on the taste with some chocolate added in. I love this beer and I want more of it.

dinkle50 (1477) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - MAY 27, 2012
Dark pour with a big espresso head. Creamy mouth with big roast notes. Bourbon is very pronounced. Vanilla and hints of warmth in this. Very boozy and lots of chocolate. Once of the finer Bourbon Barrel stouts I’ve had.

brian60625 (746) - Illinois, USA - MAY 24, 2012
Bottle, aged 5 months. This is a very bourbon’ed beer. You’ll also find a big vanilla presence, delivered in a smooth, big bodied, and creamy-rich texture. Personally, I really enjoyed it, but I’m pretty sure it’s NOT a beer that most people would expect and be happy to drink past the first sip. It definitely has one foot past the line of what does and does not taste like beer. Instead tastes more like a southerner’s dessert liquor. It would have been nice to see the other flavors come out more, rather than sitting in the bourbon’s shadow. Next time I’ll age it the full year and see what happens.

jlruthven (612) - Madison, Wisconsin, USA - MAY 23, 2012
On tap at the Glass Nickel during Craft Beer Week in Madison. Pours inky black, with a mocha-colored head that dissipates to spotty foam. Thick, luxurious lacing. Nose is a perfect melange of dark roasted coffee, chocolate, and sweet bourbon. Taste follows: big, big coffee, with more well-crafted barrel notes, both dark and milk chocolates. Prominent vanilla tones from the barrel. My first time trying it. Lived up to the hype.

Jimmeekrek (52) - - MAY 22, 2012
A truly great stout! Thanks to my uncle for scoring me 10 bottles of this beautiful concoction. It reminds me of Central Waters Bourbon Barrel stout, with a little less vanilla touch to it, but a better mouthfeel and bourbon lingering to it. The complexity is amazing, I taste something new in it almost every taste as it slowly warms. Wow!

jcartamdg (3436) - Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA - MAY 21, 2012
Poured a 2010 bottle into my bruery tulip. Dark black with a 1finger mocha head that dissipates quickly. Nice lacing that clings to the glass like its glue. Aroma is coffee malt and light bourbon. I thought coffee fades out of beers quickly, I guess the coffee in KBS doesn’t follow the rules. Man this beer tastes smooth, it follows the nose but is more balanced with a year on it, less hot and booze. I like it fresh but I love it with a year on it. Fantastic brew!

Advocate_Ames (626) - Steubenville, Ohio, USA - MAY 20, 2012
UPDATED: AUG 27, 2013 It pours very black with a sticky khaki head that dissipates to leave a ring that hugs my glass. The aroma is of sweet bourbon, vanilla, roasted coffee, roasted malts, dark chocolate, and a mild oak scent from the aging. In the flavor I picked up on everything I could smell. The finish is chocolate, coffee, bourbon, and a weak bitterness. Overall it is a very pleasant drink and worth enjoying.