overall
RATINGS: 2685   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.27/5   SEASONAL: Spring   IBU: 70   EST. CALORIES: 336   ABV: 11.2%
A bit of backwoods pleasure without the banjo. This strong stout is brewed with a hint of coffee and vanilla then aged in oak bourbon barrels. Our process ensures that strong bourbon undertones come through in the finish in every batch we brew. We recommend decanting at room temperature and best enjoyed in a brandy snifter.

2016 vintage - 12.4% abv

beergodd1 (400) - Conneaut, Ohio, USA - MAY 9, 2012
Pours near black with a small foamy head. Decent lacing for a high abv. brew. Aroma of coffee, bourbon, vanilla and a bit of chocolate. Taste is much the same, with a touch of alcohol. Full body. Rich and creamy with a nice bite. The bourbon doesn’t over power anything in this. I got a bottle and held on to it for a year, Damn good beer.

b3shine (8864) - Indiana, USA - MAY 5, 2012
Bottle to another. Looks good; pitch black with razor thin lacing. Smells and tastes good too; Marty with hints of coffee and bourbon. mouthfeel is decent, but it’s hot. Definitely CBS’s little brother, but still damn good beer.

knezek (22) - Michigan, USA - MAY 4, 2012
Bottle 2012...thanks to my friend Rob W. as a birthday present. Take the best stout, add a shot of Woodford Reserve, this is what you get. Excellent top shelve beer. ---Rated via Beer Buddy for iPhone

XmnwildX12 (2079) - Farmington, Minnesota, USA - APR 29, 2012
UPDATED: SEP 2, 2013 Had this beer at the 4th Annual Casanova Beer Cave Festival. Amazing chocolate roast, one of the best stouts I have ever had.

VRBJG (159) - Fort Wayne, Indiana, USA - APR 27, 2012
UPDATED: MAY 6, 2012 100th rating. Thank you, Sean. WOW. Enjoyed this brew with smoked gouda and bacon. Pours coffee black with a miniscule mocha head. Smells DELICATE bourbon and some chocolate. Tastes GREAT balance of bourbon, chocolate and coffee. Balance is the key to this wonderfully crafted brew. Best overall experience.

Morey (46) - Erie, Pennsylvania, USA - APR 25, 2012
120z bottle with Bottled on 2/17/12 stamped on the neck. APPEARANCE: Poured motor oil black out of the bottle and into my Founders Snifter. Head is chocolate brown in color and stood just under a finger tall following a medium-aggressive pour. It settled within a couple of minutes and is now a thin a spotty layer with minimal head retention (you’ll often find that this is the case with beers that are this high in alcohol). I just held this up to a pretty bright light, and it’s black as night with no brown-ish hues to speak of. AROMA: Bourbon, wood, vanilla, coffee, chocolate, & campfire coals. TASTE: I’m getting a bit of char and roasted flavor up front. Bourbon and woody flavors aren’t far behind. There’s a chocolaty sweetness that surfaces about midway. Coffee beans and hops provide some bitterness towards the back-end to help balance things out. Finish is filled with the fore-mentioned flavors accompanied by some heat from the alcohol. MOUTHFEEL: Medium-full body with low carbonation and big-time flavor. MOREY’S BOTTOM LINE: A REALLY good barrel-aged beer. It’s got a little bit of everything, and you can actually pick out the individual components. The bourbon is present, but it doesn’t completely overtake the chocolate and the coffee. It’s sweet, it’s bitter, it’s roasty, it’s woody….I mean, what’s not to like!

Onenote81 (1002) - Winston-Salem, North Carolina, USA - APR 24, 2012
Originally reviewed: 5/25/09. Finally getting to the KBS. Pours a very thick oily black with absolutely no head, no bubbles, no lace, nothing. This just looks like dirty motor oil in a glass. Nose is full of coffee, vanilla, bourbon, almonds, and bread. Mouthfeel is thick and creamy. Great viscous mouth that is easy to sip. I waited awhile after pouring to drink this. At first I was tasting huge coffee flavor that finished slightly boozy, but as it warmed and I continued to drink, I was getting more vanilla and a faint nutty finish. Drinkability is low for me as it took about an hour to finish this one, and I could never have another right away. Very good beer, but I gotta be honest, I prefer the original Breakfast Stout. Ah well, to each his own...

Leighton (21232) - London, Greater London, ENGLAND - APR 22, 2012
UPDATED: AUG 30, 2015 Bottle at home in London as dusk approaches to cap a rather pleasant Sunday. I drink this beer as the ceremonial 4000th rating, but also to celebrate an anniversary. The beer pours black-brown with a sturdy, creamy and tight beige foam head. Lots to take in on the nose. Dry coffee hits first, followed by oak chips, dark cocoa, alcohol, mild roast, a bit of tobacco and earth. Great flavor, very rich, very sweet. Lots of charred malts, brown sugar, vanilla, chocolate cake, oak and straight burnt wood, some mild earthy bitterness. Full bodied, lightly chewy with fine carbonation. Warm finish with lots of dark sugars, licorice, molasses, dark chocolate, light coffee, mocha, vanilla, chocolate syrup, light peat, burnt grass, burnt wood. Certainly lives up to the hype. It’s a robust, nicely nuanced beer with plenty of punch. I love it. A great way to commemorate this happy day. (April 2012, score: 4.5)

Bottle at home in London, on a Sunday in late August. This bottle is the most recent vintage. Pours thick, oily black with a frothy khaki head that subsides a little faster than you might expect. The aroma has hearty chocolate, dense roast, baking cocoa, burnt toffee, fresh coffee. Big sweet flavor, a little sticky, with rich and gooey chocolate, bittersweet coffee, some caramel undertones, alcohol. Full bodied, lightly chewy, with fine carbonation and velvety texture. Warming, almost hot finish, with more sticky dark malts, rich chocolate, scorched earth, faint woody dryness, charred caramel, dark fruits, raisins, lightly bitter coffee. Great stuff overall. (August 2015, score: 4.2)

This is certainly a great beer.

umich03jm (3513) - Flat Rock, Michigan, USA - APR 21, 2012
UPDATED: FEB 3, 2015 2012 bottle poured into snifter. I’ve been waiting a while to try this. Blackest of black pours with no head. Great lacing on the glass. Huge chocolate and vanilla aroma along with bourbon and coffee. Amazing. Bourbon hits immediately at first . When that mellows the taste is more chocolatety and roasted malt. Still taste vanilla and even some dark fruit seems to come through. Some alcohol burn on the finish. Bourbon taste lingers for a very long time. Delicious. Will save the other 3 bottles and drink one each year. I have a feeling this beer will get even better. Update: Decided to drink another 2012 bottle at room temperature like they recommend. Wow. I have a new appreciation for this beer. Only beer I have ever thoroughly enjoyed at room temp. Surprisingly you don’t taste the bourbon as much so the chocolate, coffee, and roasted malt taste comes through more. Almost no alcohol burn which is amazing to me. It was probably the best beer I have ever had. It will be hard to let my other two bottles sit a year or two. Update 2: Had this many times over the years and it ranges from 4.0 to 4.8. I’m lowering to 4.4 to split the difference.

AndresTM (434) - Texas, USA - APR 17, 2012
UPDATED: NOV 28, 2015 Hot, hot, hot aroma of bourbon, all kinds of chocolates, fudge, burnt sugar, and dark, roasted malts with coffee, vanilla, and wood undertones. It is powerful, yet somehow quite comforting. The taste obeys every aroma note and has a powerful, complex finish of strong roasted malts, caramel, and booze. I think the bourbon component definitely overpowered the coffee component in this one. The palate is, like that of all Founders stouts, wonderfully thick. This is a sipper, if there ever was one, although I could sit and sip this stuff all day long. In fact, I think I went through all the five stages upon realizing that my bottle had a finite amount of it. What a pants-sh*ttingly extraordinary beer. A stout man’s stout.