overall
RATINGS: 2665   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.28/5   SEASONAL: Spring   IBU: 70   EST. CALORIES: 336   ABV: 11.2%
A bit of backwoods pleasure without the banjo. This strong stout is brewed with a hint of coffee and vanilla then aged in oak bourbon barrels. Our process ensures that strong bourbon undertones come through in the finish in every batch we brew. We recommend decanting at room temperature and best enjoyed in a brandy snifter.

2016 vintage - 12.4% abv 2017 vintage - 11.9% abv

tbadiuk (10) - Manitoba, CANADA - DEC 12, 2012
This one is tough to rate. The 2011 bottle I had a few months back was horrible compared to the 2012 bottle I opened this evening. This evenings bottle is the one I will rate, as I will chalk about the discrepency due to age. I do not recommend aging this one. A: Dark, dark, black. Like BCS, with a bit less carbonation, but still some life. S: borubon, bourbon,and some more bourbon, with hits of chocolate. To be fair, I sort of drank this too cold initially, and didn’t pay attention as much later to the smell. T: Wow. Brownie, Chocolate, and bourbon, as smoothly melded as can be. Completely different to the boozy mess that was the 2011 bottle which was my previous experience. Bottle variation or age? I need to drink more of this to find out. I pray I have more of the later (2012) experiences going forward than the 2011 experience I had a couple of months ago...

bytemesis (9240) - Sunnyvale, California, USA - NOV 29, 2012
Bottle - thanks Mike! Pours pitch black with a very small brown head that dissipates quickly with some lacing. Aroma is bourbon, dark roasted malts, coffee, cocoa powder. Flavor is about the same, notes of wood. Medium sweet, light coffee bitterness coming through on the finish. Bourbon flavors are ever present, but not overpowering. Body is medium plus, mouthfeel is creamy, carbonation is low.

madmitch76 (25568) - , Essex, ENGLAND - NOV 25, 2012
UPDATED: AUG 29, 2016
27th January 2011
Opaque black - brown beer, tiny tan head. Wet wood and ash nose, not great. Semi dry and semi soft palate. Wet wood, dark chocolate, coffe,. bourbon. A little creamy dark malt. Finishes dry. Not bad but I am at a loss as to this beers ’all time great’ status. 3.2.

26th May 2016
Mother Kelly’s. Keg. Opaque brown beer, good pale tan head. Palate is airy, semi dry and has decent fine carbonation. Lovely touch of dark chocolate with dark malt cream. Fruit bourbon, a little spicy bourbon. Coconut and a trace of wood. Smooth finish brings more spice. Lovely stuff and a country mild better than the one I drank all those years ago.

swigswthwolves (74) - Michigan City, Indiana, USA - NOV 23, 2012
Pours dark darker brown with a light head. Smells of cherries and alcohol. Taste is of chocolate and alcohol. Very heavy on the tongue with a lingering taste of chocolate. Fantastic beer!

574deadzone (1419) - North Central, Indiana, USA - NOV 23, 2012
Happy t-day to me. Pours deep black with a chocolate brown head of a finger or so that settles to a ring. Multi-layered nose involving oak char, vanilla, toffee, butter, delicious bourbon, chocolate, chewy dark pit fruit, candy, and coffee among other things. Taste is very nicely sweet but with plenty of roasty bitterness for balance. Palate is full, round, soft, oily, tingly, spicy, with no noticeable alcohol. Just plain awesome, and I’m glad I was able to try it. Cured at least some manner of distress for me.

LoFi (1753) - Göteborg, SWEDEN - NOV 18, 2012
2012 bottle, this one was courtesy of xscottypx. Thanks! Black with a brown head that disappears quickly. Aroma: chocolate covered coffee beans, cocoa, bourbon, toffee, vanilla. Taste follows the aroma with added milk chocolate. Quite full bodied. Amazing balance, very good stuff! I look forward to opening up another bottle with a bit of aging.

rxeight (3251) - Illinois, USA - NOV 16, 2012
UPDATED: MAY 21, 2014 2012 bottling. Fantastic stuff. Nice warm bourbon aroma. Great balance of bourbon, coffee and chocolate. Not as heavy on the bourbon as some of the others, but this does have some age on it. The coffee held up remarkably well, i thought that would fade out over time.

Re rate with 13 bottle. For some reason, this years batch didn’t impress. A little thin, bourbon was a bit light. I guess when I had it the first time I was a bit new to the BA stout scene, and now I’ve had a lot that impress me more.

14 another year and I’m even less impressed. Thin and weak. If this were a shelf 6 pack I’d put it next to black butte porter. Not worth the hype or price.

dresden (1581) - Saskatchewan, CANADA - NOV 15, 2012
So pushkinwow sent me this over a year ago. I was moving a few beer around and found it, i think it’s actually a 2010. Thanks! Thick black with almost no head ,a light tan ring. Aroma of a bit of coffee and some oak, lots of roast chocolate malt. Mouthfeel is thick and creamy, very full body, not much carbonation left here. Taste is bourbon, lots of nice coffee, like caramel and cream. So rich and complex, but totally easy drinking. Amazing. #400

arrogantb (1402) - Denver, Colorado, USA - NOV 10, 2012
Got this 2011 in a recent trade with Jedwards, thanks man! Dark black color with a bit of a brown head. Smells like really good coffee to me, nice. The flavor was also really good coffee, not overwhelming, a hint of booze but the alcohol was well hidden. Overall I can see why people like this beer so much but given the price and availability I don;t really have any incentive to get this again. Serving type: bottle Reviewed on: 05-15-2011 19:11:26

kraddel (8892) - Antwerp, BELGIUM - NOV 4, 2012
a HUGE thanx to dennoman for this one . this is way thicker than the breakfast. but you taste more bourbon ( wich i dont realy like) . a good quality beer, yeah, but not my kind of thing ..