overall
RATINGS: 2698   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.27/5   SEASONAL: Spring   IBU: 70   EST. CALORIES: 336   ABV: 11.2%
A bit of backwoods pleasure without the banjo. This strong stout is brewed with a hint of coffee and vanilla then aged in oak bourbon barrels. Our process ensures that strong bourbon undertones come through in the finish in every batch we brew. We recommend decanting at room temperature and best enjoyed in a brandy snifter.

2016 vintage - 12.4% abv

Cybercat (5840) - Georgia, USA - MAR 24, 2012
I have been hunting this for years - and finally got to try it at the Holy Mother of Gatherings! It pours a deep, opaque sable with a thick, fine-bubbled tan head. Rich aroma has notes of molasses, caramel and semi-sweet chocolate. Flavor is DEEEEEEEEE-LISHUS! Smoky with tones of quality coffee, molasses, chocolate and caramel, and a hint of - is that bourbon? Thick, smooth texture is quite fizzy.

EthanFixell (5) - New York, New York, USA - MAR 24, 2012 does not count
Deep, dark color. Smells of bourbon barrels and burnt sugar. Rich, delicious, like no other.

crosamich (433) - Twin Falls, Idaho, USA - MAR 23, 2012
After numerous bottles I think I like this better on tap. I do get a bit of some burnt rubber. However, the mix of subtle coffee and vanilla with th bourbon still makes me want this. Drk rich whiskey notes that blend with the rest of the flavors. I have had a few vintages of differing ages but I think I have finally decided that I will only sit on this stuff and drink it no less than 18 months in the cellar. soy sauce,

badwhale (420) - Bitterville, Pennsylvania, USA - MAR 23, 2012
Bottle to glass mug. Pours a completely opaque dark ruby / brown / black, and has a sparse dark tan head. Immediately, it smells like bourbon. It tastes like bourbon with some chocolate / coffee notes. Very dense. Very rich. Delicious.

Sikash (240) - North Carolina, USA - MAR 23, 2012
UPDATED: MAY 2, 2013 Poured from a bottle to a pint glass. Pours a dark black color with a medium tan head and great lacing. Great aroma of roasted coffee and chocolate with a nice heavy bourbon. Taste has a great bourbon flavor, not too strong. Has a great note of coffee and chocolate. Finish is a little hot alcohol. Has a nice heavy mouthfeel and the carbonation is average. Overall a great beer.

Peacehammer (624) - California, USA - MAR 23, 2012
pours a milky black, with a quarter finger dark caramel head. Amazingly smooth. Lots of coffee and chocolate before the barrel flavor hits you, which features a distinct bourbon flavor and aftertaste. Initial aroma is chocolate and coffee, after decanting a bit those aromas become a bit more pronounced, and bourbon aromas make an appearance, also I’m getting slight hints of burn from the bourbon. This is one fantastic beer.

HoppyAlesToYou (167) - Saint John, Indiana, USA - MAR 22, 2012
My first experience with this ale was at DLD 2010, early in the day. It was among the six guest tap brews my two buddies and I shared after the gates opened. It was ethereal, especially since it was only $5 a pint. My second sampling of this stout was from a bottle of the 2010 version, which I cellared until Super Bowl Sunday of 2011. It did not live up to the draft version I had the previous April, and I was rather dismayed at having dropped $7 for the bottle. So dismayed, that I did not pursue any 2011 KBS. Not having it last year and reading about its planned release this year rekindled my fire that had burned for this brew after my DLD experience. My 2012 bottle has restored my fondness, and made me want for more. Keep in mind that I am drinking this on the third day of spring in northwest Indiana, which would typically be weather appropriate. However, it was over eighty degrees this afternoon and lingers near seventy this evening. Not ideal BA stout sipping conditions, but KBS was heat proof. The aroma was predominantly chocolate, roasted coffee, resin (yes, that kind), and vanilla (yum) with slight floral notes and traces of alcohol and woodiness. I did pour it aggressively into my seventeen ounce snifter, which produced a short lived brown head. It is as deep as brown can get without being black. The taste validates the aromas, beginning sweetly with slight balancing bitterness followed by a tingly alcohol burn. Its body is medium, with a sticky texture, very soft carbonation, and a long finish. If only this were more readily available at a more modest price point! This is a must try beer if you have a chance, just give your self at least an hour to savor every sip without many distractions. It warrants that type of reverence.

slats1221 (60) - Ohio, USA - MAR 22, 2012
It’s just the best. The only bad thing I can say is I wish I could get my hands on more. If you see it, buy it. You will not be disappointed.

Patrickctenchi (6592) - Cox’s Knob, columbus, Indiana, USA - MAR 22, 2012
UPDATED: FEB 6, 2014 Totally black....short, quick DARK tan head. Aroma is distinctly Bourbon, chocolate, charred wood.. WOW. Taste is a hot flash of bourbon, then a dousing of chocolate and vanilla....wonderful alcohol presence... This is absolutely fabulous....coffee, smoke, dark, sweet.....It’s JUST right. Incredible. All the great things you’ve heard about this? Believe them. Feb, 6 2014: Thought I’d raid my stash and pour one that I’ve aged a little...you know what? It JUST GETS BETTER......it’s more...everything. I find it difficult not to just bump this up to a pure 5.0....but I’m going to continue aging.....Oh sure, I’ll have to give in now and again and drink one before It’s truly time, but, hey I’ve got a weakness.....this is without doubt one of the finest beers on the planet.....Wonderful, wonderful stuff.

davey101 (751) - Connecticut, USA - MAR 20, 2012
Bottled on 2/17/2012. 12 oz bottle into a brandy snifter. Excited to finally review this beer. I had a fresh bottle last year while I was sick and not into bourbon, so it was a bit of a mess... A - Pitch black with some very light mocha edging which eventually disappears completely. A vigorous swirl simply produces more edging with tiny amounts of lacing. Has some sticky alcohol legs though. S - Strong fresh coffee notes followed by some milk chocolate, oak, faint vanilla and a touch of alcohol. As it warms up the bourbon becomes more pronounced. The coffee is just so prominent and dominant here, and this is some damn good coffee beans were talking about here. T - Bitter coffee followed by some bittersweet chocolate and bourbon notes. Oak, vanilla and butterscotch. This is a beer for bourbon lovers. Its amazing how it starts off with dominant coffee and leads right into a fine bourbon. The finish is boozy and bittersweet. 70 IBU’s? Holy hell! M - I don’t know how I feel about the mouth feel. It’s medium with an average level of carbonation. As a stout lover I feel like it could be thicker and chewier. As a bourbon lover I think it works really well. The finish is warm yet pleasant. O - I adore BCBCS because its blends the fresh and intense notes of coffee, the roasty and sweet chocolatey notes of a stout, and the rich and buttery notes of a good bourbon to a near perfection. KBS doesn’t blend all of these elements together very well. In the end its a bourbon strong coffee beer with a light body. Delicious in its own right, but I wasn’t completely blown away by this beer.