overall
RATINGS: 2386   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.28/5   SEASONAL: Spring   IBU: 70   EST. CALORIES: 336   ABV: 11.2%
A bit of backwoods pleasure without the banjo. This strong stout is brewed with a hint of coffee and vanilla then aged in oak bourbon barrels. Our process ensures that strong bourbon undertones come through in the finish in every batch we brew. We recommend decanting at room temperature and best enjoyed in a brandy snifter.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Chickencoop (188) - California, USA - APR 18, 2010
First off, not a fan of the double imperial stouts so dont listen to me, but the hype surrounding this opened my eyes. On that note, putting this in perspective with its peers, this is pretty solid. Big dark pour, bourbon smell carries throughout, finish was big booze, with booze on top. I liked this, not so much drinkable, but one of the best imperial stouts ive ever had, complex and huge in every sip.

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 3/10   PALATE 2/5   OVERALL 12/20
skoll (420) - Traverse City, Michigan, USA - APR 16, 2010
Deep inky pour with a big head that went into minimal lacing, the aroma is big and bourbon-coffee. But the body seems to have thinned a bit much, and theres a slightly sour aftertaste. Im sorry for founders that I did not read the label this is not my style and I am not fair with them, coffee should stay out of beer. I only drank half Im glad I only bought 1 and not a 4 pack!

AROMA 6/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 6/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
chaz01 (190) - Miamisburg, Ohio, USA - APR 15, 2010
12 ounce bottle served in a Founders snifter/tulip type glass. Jet black, with a 1 inch dark brown head that recedes quickly leaving just a little lacing on the glass. Coffee and chocolate flavors dominate any other aroma, especially the coffee. Lots of different flavors in the taste -- Vanilla, coffee, bourbon, rum, and lots of grains and maltiness. Thick, rich and full bodied. Lots of boozy alcohol finish to it. I seek this beer out every year when it comes out, mainly based on its reputation and scarcity in the market. Its very different and very good, but also very pricey, and I think just a bit overrated -- the bourbon and coffee flavors mixed together just dont do it for me -- Id much prefer a Goose Island Bourbon stout. Im not saying its a bad beer, or I dont like it, just that when I rate it objectively its not on on my list of top 10 beers in the world.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
sherm1016 (1273) - Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA - APR 14, 2010
UPDATED: MAR 18, 2011 12oz bottle, 2011 vintage. Pours a jet black with a tan head and nice lacing. Aroma is bourbon. Not too heavy on the palate with average carbonation, but maybe above average for the style. Flavor is bourbon, coffee, roasted malt, some vanilla...amazingly complex. Absolutely deserving of its reputation as one of the best beers in the world. ****Origingal Rating (4/14/10): Bottle from Ottos on Oakland. A very big, dark stout. The bourbon flavor is not overpowering at all. Overall, this is an excellent beer, and Im glad I have another one in the beer fridge.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
jimmack34 (640) - Lancaster, Ohio, USA - APR 12, 2010
12 os bottle. pours a thick black with a head that is brown and creamy. Smells of burnt coffee, vanilla, nuts, and cigars. Tatstes of creamy bourbon, vanilla, coffee liquor, coconut, and chocolate. Aftertaste is is a sticky bitter buttery coffee. Awesome brew

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
keepersj12 (3070) - Sicklerville, New Jersey, USA - APR 11, 2010
This has to be top of my list or close to it. Great looking black with a tan head. Aroma of all kinds of stuff. Vanilla, coffee, chocolate, bourbon, sweet roasted malt. Flavor has all of the same with a bit of smoke. Finishes very dry. The alcohol is barely noticeable but you will get a nice warming sensation. I never let it get to room temperature, Maybe Ill be a little more disciplined.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 14/20
pete4999 (1445) - Buffalo, New York, USA - APR 11, 2010
Bottle courtesy of HowardF from TBS...thanks! First time I could ever get my hands on this - it was a 2009. Decided to drink it when it was a bit fresher. The bourbon notes were there, but it wasnt a big vanilla bomb. Not super overly sweet, a nice bitterness. They really masked the 11.2% ABV well. Wish I had a few more bottles because Id love to see how it holds up for future years (anyone want to trade?).

AROMA 7/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
tennisjoel (1387) - Rochester, Minnesota, USA - APR 10, 2010
When I was down in Rochester, where Ill shortly be moving to, I discovered Whistle Binkies bar and grill, which I had heard had a good beer scene. As we entered, I noticed that one of the bartenders had a beer advocate t-shirt on, which was a good sign. We sat down and I noticed the beer list was extensive and quite solid. I noticed some Surly products which is another good sign. I first ordered a SN Bigfoot and noticed that Bells Batch 9000 was on the bottle list. When I asked, they were out of it, so then I asked for Founders Double Trouble. The next thing I know, a female waitress comes over with a bottle of Founders KBS. Now Founders is still relatively new to Minnesota. Ive been able to try many of Founders high end beers, however, the KBS has alluded me so far (Ive even had the Canadian Breakfast Stout). Now onto the beer: the pour is deep black, with a minimal head. Aromas of bourbon, coffee, dark chocolate, and vanilla. The bourbon is really well integrated here. And that is the key...make sure the bourbon is not overpowering and its got my attention. This beer is for the most part worthy of its hype and would rate anywhere from solid to borderline spectacular.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 3/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 3/5   OVERALL 18/20
brianjames1 (539) - Northridge, California, USA - APR 10, 2010
12 oz bottle into a tulip. Pours a jet black with a very small almost non-existent tan head. Aroma of dark malts with a hint of oakiness. Body is rich, full, silky, with medium to high carbonation. Flavor is of oak, vanilla and roasted malts. 11% ABV hidden extremely well. Great stout.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 15/20
Travlr (22034) - Charlotte, North Carolina, USA - APR 9, 2010
Bottle at Pizzeria Paradiso. Black. Brown head that settles quickly to an edge. Solid delicate lacing. Aroma of bourbon, chocolate, vanilla, coffee. Medium body. Taste has licorice, Starbucks, cocoa. The guy next to me chugged a Tokyo while I was rating this, so that spectacle might have distracted me. I hope hes OK.