overall
RATINGS: 2605   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.28/5   SEASONAL: Spring   IBU: 70   EST. CALORIES: 336   ABV: 11.2%
A bit of backwoods pleasure without the banjo. This strong stout is brewed with a hint of coffee and vanilla then aged in oak bourbon barrels. Our process ensures that strong bourbon undertones come through in the finish in every batch we brew. We recommend decanting at room temperature and best enjoyed in a brandy snifter.

AROMA 10/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 20/20
andyhwcinc (1871) - Chicago, Illinois, USA - APR 14, 2011
Enjoyed 4 oz sampler glass at Founders tasting event at Binnys South Loop in Chicago, IL. Luckily this event was held as every bottle in the Chicagoland area sold out quickly and this was my only shot at having this...and Im glad I got to. Appearance pure black with a thin off white head. Aroma equal parts bourbon, chocolate, lactose, coffee, toffee, smells extremely smooth, flat out impressive. Taste decadently smooth, very creamy, I dont even want to know the ABV of this one (later found out it was 11.2%...ouch!). The bourbon serves as a complimentary ingredient, doesnt dominate the palate and enhances the chocolate notes. Would drink and enjoy this often if I could, a definite 1%er of all the beers Ive ever had.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 19/20
birderbeerer (112) - Virginia, USA - APR 14, 2011
Pitch black with a two-finger, latte head. Decent lacing for the 11% abv. Smells like Kahlua. Thats awesome. Dead on Kahlua. So, a chocolate and vanilla liqueur. Super rich. Amazing. Very rich. Chocolate and vanilla. The bourbon is very subtle at the edges. Syrupy in feel but thin in texture. Gosh thats rich. Theres a roast there that really backs up the chocolate, vanilla, and bourbon. I can tell right away that Im going to let this get nice and warm. Man, this is freaking delicious. The bourbon swirls in with the chocolate and vanilla along a coffee spine. A few quick sips and I realize the trouble this one can cause. Its a damn dessert and an incredible beer.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
octo (22) - USA - APR 14, 2011
pours thick, with no head, just some bubbles around. smell: chocolate, bourbon, vanilla. taste: chocolate, coffee, oak bourbon, 11.2% hidden well. overall a great barrel aged stout.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 12/20
mxtur (266) - Michigan, USA - APR 11, 2011
So far this is my favorite bourbon barrel beers. That Oaky flavor really hits the nose strong. Outstanding color and thick creamy pour. Drink it slow and enjoy your evening. I loved it.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 2/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 19/20
JFGrind (2038) - Glenside, Pennsylvania, USA - APR 11, 2011
Surprised how many beer geeks have scampered to get a taste of KBS. My turn to sample KBS gave me much anticipation. Bourbon oak nose paired with a thick drank brown sans head stout filled with vanilla, oak, bourbon, coffee and chocolate flavors. Solid full bodied stout all the way through. Happy I was able to sample a bottle, now I can impress all the beer geeks.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 10/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
kscaldef (13) - Portland, Oregon, USA - APR 9, 2011
A: pitch black with a thick, dense brown head S: Chocolate with strong roasty notes. The bourbon is quite understated in the aroma T: Smooth and creamy chocolate and coffee deliciousness. A little vanilla. Some bourbon on the finish, but its very in balance and drinkable for the ABV M: Low carbonation, creamy and mouth coating, but not sweet or sticky. O: quite excellent. A very tasty and drinkable imperial stout.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 17/20
mlunger12 (645) - Orlando, Florida, USA - APR 9, 2011
12oz bottle, bourbon, vanilla aroma, rich and smooth taste, bourbon dominates, leaves a great vanilla and Oaky taste in my mouth. Delicious.

AROMA 9/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 5/5   OVERALL 18/20
bth122 (1547) - Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA - APR 6, 2011
Was saving this for Rating #200. Poured a thick black color with a moderate frothy brown head. Big time aroma of bourbon and oak, coffee, malts; some cocoa, vanilla. Taste was a light sweetness and a medium bitterness. Very complex flavors. Full bodied, creamy texture (goes down silky smooth) and thicker than your average beer. Definitely a sipping beer for sure. Im getting alot of oak barrel flavors coming through; These definitely take control of the flavor. Glad I got to try it.. Great stuff.

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 4/5   TASTE 9/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 17/20
Doodler (318) - Denver, Colorado, USA - APR 5, 2011
12 oz - 2008 version. Rich black pour with a creamy tan head. Nice lacing and nose. Holds an aroma of columbian coffee, chocolates and oaky bourbon barrel. Sweet malty flavors with a tasty bourbon stickiness. Thick and chewy with a touch of vanilla in the finish. A top notch stout..

AROMA 8/10   APPEARANCE 5/5   TASTE 8/10   PALATE 4/5   OVERALL 18/20
radioscooter (41) - Pennsylvania, USA - APR 5, 2011
Late to the party on this one but happy to be here. And hey - the bros. havent done a review yet either! Poured into my new little "Dry Dock" taster glass I got in my first ever BIF trade. Thought I did an aggressive pour but got zero head. Pitch black. When I swirl it, I get a mollasses syrupy coating on the glass and a teensy bit of cafe brown foam that dissipates very quickly. Smells bourbony, coffee-ish. Maybe too much coffee for me. Well see. Not getting much, if any vanilla or oak. Too cold. Aaaand way too much coffee grounds taste for me. Guess thats why its a breakfast stout. I get it now. Not going to drainpour but not lovin it. Maybe it will sweeten as it warms up. Nope. Sorry, not my style but I can see why some folks love it.