overall
RATINGS: 2633   WEIGHTED AVG: 4.28/5   SEASONAL: Spring   IBU: 70   EST. CALORIES: 336   ABV: 11.2%
A bit of backwoods pleasure without the banjo. This strong stout is brewed with a hint of coffee and vanilla then aged in oak bourbon barrels. Our process ensures that strong bourbon undertones come through in the finish in every batch we brew. We recommend decanting at room temperature and best enjoyed in a brandy snifter.

2016 vintage - 12.4% abv 2017 vintage - 11.9% abv

northropfrye (3677) - Steinbach, Manitoba, CANADA - MAR 26, 2012
Thanks to dresden for this one. Stunning. Dark black with brown head. Beautiful looking. Aromatic with dark roasted malts, chocolate, coffee, sweet bourbon, vanilla, dried fruit. Taste is sweet and malty balanced with dark chocolate bitterness. Excellent stuff!

djbow (2) - Maryland, USA - MAR 25, 2012 does not count
Appearance: Used motor oil BLACK. No light is getting through this one. Finger and 1/2 brown head of tight bubbles that dissipate rapidly. This is impressive for a 11.25% ABV beer. Great glass lacing and lots of alcohol legs. Smell: Chocolate, coffee, vanilla, bourbon, cherry, rich caramel malt and a slight alcohol sent. Palate: Medium thick, velvety mouth feel. The carbonation is very mild and there is very little alcohol heat. Goes down smooth. Almost too smooth. Taste: Follow the smell. Chocolate, coffee, vanilla, bourbon, oak, cherry and rich caramel malt. All these flavors are perfectly balanced. The big alcohol in this beer is completely masked. Overall: EXCELLENT example of the Imperial Stout Barrel aged style. I will drink this any time I can get it. Just wish it were more available. As for the KBS haters, if you don’t like Imperial Stouts don’t drink them or rate them. Stick to your wimpy low flavor Lagers and leave more KBS for those of us who appreciate it.

BeerFred (11) - North Carolina, USA - MAR 25, 2012
UPDATED: MAR 27, 2012 Pours dark brown - motor oil... Brown head. Nice lacing. Aroma is all malt and bourbon. In the mouth this is a powerhouse - bourbon, malt, vanilla with caramel ... and then a lingering bourbon and coffee finish. A unique and delicious brew, although maybe not quite as good as the hype.

cheap (6011) - Beaver Valley, Beaver County, Pennsylvania, USA - MAR 25, 2012
I write this review with apprehension, once again I am faced with a brew, on tap, that is beloved by so m any of my peers. Many, to my chagrin, jump on the bandwagon and say they love this stuff, reminiscent of expedition stout. To start, I am not a fan of impy stouts so when I first saw this, I thought to pass it by. However, how many times do you see the notorious KBS on tap? For awhile, I never even knew what KBS was, heheh, even tho everybody on my local blog spout on and on about it! KBS this and KBS that and KBS is on tap here and there; wtf is KBS I thought to myself? BS where I come from stands for...well...you know. So, I figured I better try this before it was gone and at $12 per 8 oz glass, everybody around me was gobbling this up and it looked like it would not be there for long. Keep in mind, I rate beers by how much I like them, so take my rating with a grain of salt. Out of the tap this stuff was big and black with a thin chocolate moose head, heheh. Smell is like refined volatile stout, as many impy stouts smell. First taste is big alky laced coffee but I must admit, the alky portion is not as harsh or rude as I thought it would be but there it is, big whiskey alky thing. Perhaps this separates it from the standard BS. Bitter strong nasty and over the top; terribly on impy stout style. Difficult example of a beer, yet not unrefined. Not sure what my peers see in this brew, it sometimes almost invokes a gag reflex. Sweet and nearly cloying backbone. Big long rude bitter finish makes this a beer to be reckoned with. Did not find much difference between this, except the whiskey thing, and any other of the founders breakfast stouts I’ve tasted. Certainly not worth the double in price. Will never drink again, way too much for the girlie taste buds of this refined lager lover. Its typical for most on this site to present accolades to most anything that is imperial stout, check out the top 50; and most of the beer experts here claim to rate by style - balderdash!

canary dog (779) - Rutland, Vermont, USA - MAR 24, 2012
Immediate warmth and vanilla notes in the nose, followed by a firm coffee presence. Dark, dark, and rich. Heavy, roasted, rich, and warm notes engulf the palate. Vanilla is tastefully understated but represented. Finish is quite heavy and sweet, and rather velvety. The palate is remarkable and perhaps a little more so than the overall taste. Initially a little more sweet than what I like, but I warmed to it a bit. A remarkable beer to be enjoyed very moderately.

tom10101 (6227) - Quebec, CANADA - MAR 24, 2012
UPDATED: MAR 25, 2012 Bottle 355 ml [2011]. Thanks to Pushkinwow. Appearance: Pours pitch black with almost no head. Lacing is brown. Aroma: Vanilla, coffee, roasted malt, chocolate and alcohol. Taste: Vanilla, coffee, roasted malt, warming alcohol, wood and bourbon. Bitter finish. Mouthfeel is creamy. Overall: Full bodied, very complex and well balanced. One of the best imperial stout with coffee. Very nice beer.

Cybercat (6017) - Georgia, USA - MAR 24, 2012
I have been hunting this for years - and finally got to try it at the Holy Mother of Gatherings! It pours a deep, opaque sable with a thick, fine-bubbled tan head. Rich aroma has notes of molasses, caramel and semi-sweet chocolate. Flavor is DEEEEEEEEE-LISHUS! Smoky with tones of quality coffee, molasses, chocolate and caramel, and a hint of - is that bourbon? Thick, smooth texture is quite fizzy.

EthanFixell (5) - New York, New York, USA - MAR 24, 2012 does not count
Deep, dark color. Smells of bourbon barrels and burnt sugar. Rich, delicious, like no other.

crosamich (433) - Twin Falls, Idaho, USA - MAR 23, 2012
After numerous bottles I think I like this better on tap. I do get a bit of some burnt rubber. However, the mix of subtle coffee and vanilla with th bourbon still makes me want this. Drk rich whiskey notes that blend with the rest of the flavors. I have had a few vintages of differing ages but I think I have finally decided that I will only sit on this stuff and drink it no less than 18 months in the cellar. soy sauce,

badwhale (420) - Bitterville, Pennsylvania, USA - MAR 23, 2012
Bottle to glass mug. Pours a completely opaque dark ruby / brown / black, and has a sparse dark tan head. Immediately, it smells like bourbon. It tastes like bourbon with some chocolate / coffee notes. Very dense. Very rich. Delicious.